Air New Zealand Passenger Reviews and Air New Zealand Customer Trip reports

Air New Zealand Customer review :  29 July 2013 by Chr Hoffmann    (Germany)

Overnight flight NZ2 from LAX to LHR on 22 July 2013. Sat in row 36. On entering the cabin the temperature was cool and soon after takeoff the temperature dropped to "icy". Other passengers were clearly noticing the same because there was a large request for blankets. I asked the service people to raise temperature, they promised to do it, but nothing happened, except for some more blankets they gave to us. After one hour I complained again, somewhat upset and everybody around could here it. The service staff did not seem to care much about it. They just promised to set the temperature higher, but without any noticeable effect. When I was walking through the plane to warm up myself, I felt noticeable temp differences between the front, middle and rear seat rows. It seems that air conditioning on that Boeing 777 was working pretty unequally. In the end I could not sleep because of anger and dissatisfaction. Icy cold air seems to be a general problem nowadays, I have similar experience with NZ night flights from Hong Kong to Auckland and from there to Tahiti. Food was ok. My personal conclusion is to avoid long distance travelling at all in the future.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  29 July 2013 by D Lee    (Hong Kong)

Long haul flight from Hong Kong to New Zealand. Food was great with variety, and fresh except for the continental breakfast which had awkward scrambled eggs and meat. On the return trip though I had ordered a nice and delicate cereal breakfast which was a nice start to my day, served with fresh fruit, milk and yoghurt. Seat was comfortable with a smart headrest. However, having tried my friend's seat in the centre of the aircraft I found the leg space to be much limited if a bag was to be stowed under the seat in front. Other than that, seats on the sides were more spacious. Check-in was smooth with friendly staff on both airports. And I also appreciated the snacks served on my flight from Auckland to Christchurch which was a short one.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  29 July 2013 by K Gray    (New Zealand)

Flew from Wellington to Nadi on 13 July. Paid for 4 premium seats including "the works" meal option. We were very disappointed in the food as they offered only one choice of meal as they ran out of the chicken by the time they came to our seats (seated in rows 19). My children were looking forward to the chicken option but were offered only cooked Salmon. I question what proportion of people on a flight actually eat salmon. I think the menu designer made a big mistake. So out of 3 of us, only one had a meal.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  25 July 2013 by C Broderick    (New Zealand)

I had a negative experience recently on a San Francisco to Auckland flight. Started with a rude older staff member at check in snapping that I had to pay $150 for my extra bag. I was then told to calm down after asking for some more wine (had had 4 half glasses) sitting quietly in my seat. I was being very quiet and minding my own business. The women staff were fine but the guys were like school teachers and I was made to feel like a child after this. Unfortunately my national carrier and would like to support them but I don't have any concerns with their safety however and the food was good.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  25 July 2013 by R Gilbert    (New Zealand)

Flight NZ45 RAR to AKL, 23 July - booked The Works in Economy - not worth it. Food was horrible. My partner and I tried both meal choices - fatty butter chicken with rubberised rice and peas, or salmon with dried out mustard flavoured mash, peas and corn. Managed a couple of spoonfuls of vegetables. Slow drinks service - and then given the wrong wines.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  24 July 2013 by S Dobbs    (UK)

Travelled LHR-LAX-LHR. Boeing 777-300. 22nd June out and 7th July back. Great flight in PE 24 A. FAs very good food excellent service all round would defiantly recommend especially over Virgin on this route.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  22 July 2013 by Chris Collins    (UK)

Travelled from SYD to AKL and back. Outbound on a new 320 aircraft with AVOD. TV programmes free but pay for movies. To order from bar you used remote handset and swiped you card. Had nice meat pie and beer. On way back a 777 aircraft with free movies and order food from crew. Very good service from all staff and seems a very good airline. However very confusing on board service so know your ticket fare class as some get full meal service others only tea/coffee or water.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  22 July 2013 by D Palagyi    (Australia)

Melbourne to LAX via Auckland. Staff Service was good and the food excellent for 12 hour flight to Auckland. Seats excellent - you can not go wrong.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  18 July 2013 by Rod Harmer    (Australia)

My family and I were a group of 6 who flew from Perth - Auckland - Honolulu return Business class. Perth - Auckland was quite good, long transit in Auckland but Koru lounge very good indeed. Auckland - Honolulu appalling. Very tired worn out B767 with the worst Business Class seats we have ever experienced. Service was mediocre. Same for return Honolulu- Auckland. Lounge in Honolulu nothing short of disgraceful and check in staff rude. Very long 9 hr, transit Auckland, lounge very good. Auckland - Perth promised to be good until Business class was filled with staff travelling on highly discounted fares. Most of them were quite scruffy and untidy. Worst of all the cabin service started at the rear and by the time they got to us in the front and travelling staff all got fed there was not much of a choice left for us full fare Pax. in the forward rows. Cabin staff should have offered full fare Pax first choice, It is totally out of the question us ever flying on their old B767 again as it was the worst ever Business class travel we have had and on the B777 cabin staff need to look after full fare Pax much better than we experienced. Overall maybe 4/10 and that's only for the B777 for the B767 flights 1/10.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  15 July 2013 by B Rippingale    (Australia)

Upgraded to Business due to Air NZ changing planes with no PE. Definitely better than Premium economy, having flown both. On the negative side if you had booked Business Class and paid the full price you would have been disappointed with the recliner seats. As a traveller on Business Class you would probably expect the flat bed product for any flights over 5 hours especially if overnight. I would say the seats were comfortable and are fine for a 5 hour flight. Not sure why some people have said they are worse than economy. Overall a great experience . Staff were fantastic and I can't wait to use Air NZ again.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  11 July 2013 by I M Kuran    (New Zealand)

First time in Premium Economy (Hong Kong to Auckland). Great legroom and seat recline but seating configuration same as economy 3x3x3 so very cramped and narrow. Entertainment console in side of seat so every time you moved even a little bit you'd knock yourself off whatever you were watching. I was stuck in a middle seat so no room for sleeping at all, you had to sit stick straight otherwise you'd touch those next to you, very uncomfortable. Food was excellent, best airline food I've ever had, 2 course meals with nice china etc, basically business class quality. Little night time pack of eye mask etc a nice bonus too.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  8 July 2013 by Peter Somerville    (New Zealand)

We have flown with over 30 airlines and Air New Zealand in our opinion is the best, in all classes. We travel round the world 2 or 3 times a year and closer to NZ more frequently and where possible will fly Air N Z. Ground staff occasionally let the otherwise excellent service down (mainly in NZ funnily enough)! But the planes and flight crews are above and beyond complaint. Premium economy on the 777-300 is a new experience. 2-2-2 seating and space. Plenty of room to store items, good lighting, thick foot cushion, great AVOD choices, and delicious food and beverages. Baggage delivery was very quick. Business seating is mostly on angled seating which converts to full lie flat beds.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  29 June 2013 by C Treleaven    (New Zealand)

Honolulu to Auckland - very cramped seating - we are both tall - bit annoyed that there were empty rows with one person there yet others were cramped. Felt like a wreck when we landed after a brilliant holiday. Air New Zealand used to be a really good airline now it feels cheap. Next time I will choose a different airline. Food was awful entertainment poor.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  27 June 2013 by J Egan    (New Zealand)

AKL-YVR, 19 June. Whilst queued for check-in the computers crashed: allowing online check-in would have made everyone's lives better - but things like this happen. Was called to the gate for "immediate boarding" only to wait 20 more minutes to begin boarding. Flight left 20 minutes late, but still arrived in Vancouver a few minutes early. Flight attendants usual professional, polite, not over-friendly NZ ones. Meal was a tasty corned beef for dinner and I had the continental breakfast shortly before arrival. Seat was fine for someone small like me (1,67m), but when one person reclines everyone needs to because of the pitch. Hit bad turbulence and the overhead bin above my head kept popping open. Slept well and arrived refreshed.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  27 June 2013 by M Gordon    (New Zealand)

WLG-HLZ. Initial flight was cancelled, received a phone call to advise of new flight details. Arrived at WLG to find that the new flight was delayed 20 minutes, this increased to 1 hour. There is no web check in, which is unbelievable for this day and age, and the self-check-in at the airport simply said "we cannot check you in, please see a representative". The queue for the manual check-in counter was huge, at least 20 people waiting for the one single person manning the desks. In addition, there were no empty seats within several minutes' walk of the departure gate, and I was not given the particular seat on the plane I chose online. Awful - next time I'll drive.