Air New Zealand Passenger Reviews and Air New Zealand Customer Trip reports

Air New Zealand Customer review :  6 September 2013 by J Williams    (Australia)

MEL-AKL-NSN-AKL-MEL, August 2013. Trans-Tasman seats A330 far too tightly spaced, eating meal is an uncomfortable process, cabin service and food offered both OK. Control over cabin baggage size and quantity on return flight was hopeless with many passengers highly irritated by inability to find space. Self check-in and baggage deposit an affront. Will I be required to clean my cabin area next? Domestic flights OK. I will be back to Emirates for Trans-Tasman.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  5 September 2013 by Steve Robinson    (Australia)

Flew premium economy from Auckland to LAX. Premium check in nice but no lounge access of course, maybe that could be an extra purchase option? Anyway the seat was roomy and way better than any economy seat I've had. They sit at a funny angle and while comfortable it seemed a bit odd. Food and drink was good, cabin service very good and having flown business class few times with them its close to what the Bus class gets in that regard. Overall I think its great value for money given what you get.

Business class, Auckland to LAX twice in the last 3 months also once in Premium economy. Flight time of 12-13 hours is not bad for such a long haul across the pacific. Cabin crew are generally very good, have struck few that seem pre occupied but overall they are very good. The lay flat beds are great. The fare seems to jump around a fair bit and can vary by up to $1000 for each one way leg. The 777-300 is well kept and tidy. The cabin lights at night are a pain, they are yellow and bit too bright. I always get the centre row as it quieter. Food fine for business class. Snack bar available during the night. The inflight entertainment can be bit limited but generally enough to fill in the flight. Having done the trip a number times with different airlines in my opinion its one of the best airlines for the trip taking into account service, equipment and ticket cost. The real winner is the lay flat beds with doona and mattress. Only really negative aspect is the long connection times to Australia and the Auckland lounge is a bit tired and limited in what food they offer.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  3 September 2013 by L Zhuravsky    (New Zealand)

We took NZ2 Auckland-LAX-LHR and 3 weeks later, NZ 288, Shanghai-Auckland. Everything was excellent: great landings, food and inflight entertainment.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  29 August 2013 by T Mandrake    (Australia)

We flew business class from Perth to Auckland 18 July 2013. We were very disappointed to discover that they had changed the plane and that the promised lie-flat seats were not available on the plane. It was just the standard business class recliners. We were offered a partial refund, but I just didn't think that was good enough. We specifically booked lie-flat because it was an overnight flight - if we had known that could not be delivered we would have chosen a different airline. I just don't think it's acceptable to do the bait and switch when a customer pays top dollar for a premium service.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  28 August 2013 by J Butt    (Australia)

Our plane from Sydney was diverted, due to fog, from landing at Christchurch to land in Auckland, where we landed approx 1.30am. All good re flight but Air NZ customer service certainly slipped once they had this unexpected event on their hands. We were placed in an excellent hotel but the information we were given by staff when we landed and by staff at the airport the next day was all different and mostly incorrect. My comment to those reading this, if something goes wrong with your flight with Air NZ, don't ring (you wont be answered for a long time), go straight to the person in charge at the information desk as soon as possible, get the information and don't listen to any other staff!

Air New Zealand Customer review :  27 August 2013 by J Egan    (New Zealand)

AKL-SYD-AKL twice in the same month. 3/4 flights were A320s - commuter workhorse flights that for a 3.5 hour trans-Tasman flight are fine. Seats are a bit narrow and the pitch is too. IFE continues to lag behind global standards--unresponsive/slow system. Meals were good (I was on Works, which includes meal, seat, bag) when I went for the full meal deal. Cabin crew are a different story. These are disproportionately young (based on the equipment they're recent hires), with good intentions but not quite there. On one flight a passenger dumped his entire scotch and coke on me and the FA was too "chilled" in getting something to clean it up. Reeking of booze was not how I intended to arrive at my destination. Only an hour later I was offered a complimentary drink for my troubles. On another journey my seat light didn't work; the row in front had no IFE. We were all moved to new seats and required to move back for landing. I understand the thinking behind this protocol, but really: 1 row won't make a difference for load and it wouldn't be to hard to ascertain who had moved when it's because the airline's equipment has failed.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  19 August 2013 by S Riley    (USA)

My family and I flew Air New Zealand from Los Angeles, CA to and from Rarotonga, Cook Islands. The plane was a spacious B767 and the flight was overall "lovely". The 9 plus hours were made bearable by the service, friendly staff and great airplane. Everything worked well (screens, etc) and the attendants even came by in the middle of the night offering water to awake passengers. Definitely a "do again" airline for us!

Air New Zealand Customer review :  16 August 2013 by C Thompson    (Ireland)

Flew from Auckland to Shanghai (and a connection from Wellington to Auckland). I had originally booked a return flight from London Heathrow to Auckland via Hong Kong, but Air NZ axed their LHR-HKG route before I returned. They were not able to book me onto a flight to Hong Kong and so booked me to Shanghai instead and then onwards from Shanghai to London with Virgin Atlantic - meaning I had to scrap my planned holiday trip to Hong Kong and fly straight home - for which I also had to pay extra for even though they caused the route change. Having found previous long haul and Trans Tasman flights with Air New Zealand to be great I was extremely disappointed by this flight. The plane itself seemed very old and was not to clean, boarding was very rushed, felt like cattle being herded on board (the same leaving the plane too.) The flight was delayed on the tarmac for an hour and this was poorly dealt with by staff. Seating was extremely uncomfortable and I was not able to sleep at all for the 13hr duration and in flight entertainment was mediocre. Food was quite good however there was a complete lack of customer service from the crew except 1 or 2 members. They did not seemed bothered at all with passengers and were not too friendly. Very poor service and will not be travelling with Air New Zealand again on long haul from Europe to NZ.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  13 August 2013 by G Graham    (USA)

Los Angeles to Auckland. Our return flight was from Auckland to San Francisco. We have always liked ANZ! On our flight to Auckland we were on the 777-300ER in seats 23A/B. This was our first experience with the newer premium economy service. By all counts it was excellent and would definitely use this class of service again! The seats were comfortable, the service and meals were excellent too! On our return flight we flew on the 747 in premium economy - older style - seats 22 H/K. We enjoy the fact that these seats are on the upper level of the 747. These seats are more like standard seats and not as comfortable as the 777 seats. We had room to spread out with no seats directly in front of us. Unfortunately, the service was poor during this flight. The FA mentioned that they were missing a staff member for this flight. No matter we still favor ANZ and we would select and recommend the premium economy seats of 777 over the 747 if at all possible.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  9 August 2013 by Phil McConnell    (Australia)

MEL-AKL-LAX return. Had been looking forward to trying ANZ PY and I was somewhat disappointed. The good things: Superb food, better than C on QF, oodles of room in the seats, great cabin crew on all sectors, priority boarding. However, seats are uncomfortable. I appreciate the unique design but you just can't get into a good position. They are leather but in my opinion the padding is far too thin and the only way to sleep is to put the seat at full tilt, pile up the bean bag with a cushion, and lay out straight. Seeing the space the seats take up I'm not surprised ANZ are not going to continue them into new aircraft - they must lose money on them even at a premium fare. The design is also clunky in that nothing works smoothly - you need to force up the armrests and the seat belt is a pain. It has an airbag but it rests uncomfortably on your side. A great idea in theory - but not so good in practice.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  8 August 2013 by T Collier    (UK)

NZ176, PER-AKL. Wasn't planning on flying into NZ with ANZ but missed connections meant we were put on this flight. Staff very friendly and helpful. Food very nice especially dessert. Didn't put seat into bed mode when offered (stewards help change it from seat to bed) but just reclined it as far as it would go. Liked how table didn't come out of seat (for a change!) and was a fairly decent size too.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  7 August 2013 by Grant McDonald    (New Zealand)

Flew LAX to Auckland. Koru staff in LAX were excellent during a long layover, they went out of there way to make sure our family of 4 (2 adults, 20 month old and 4 yr old were) were ok and when it came to board allowed us to carry sleeping children onto the plane while one of their front line staff followed with cabin luggage. Koru Club is great value for $. The flight itself was good with excellent service and meals. Only criticisms are leg room in economy gets less with every new model of plane (where will it end) and the cabin temperature (as per previous long haul flights) was freezing (lot of passengers commenting on it).

Air New Zealand Customer review :  6 August 2013 by Christopher Bollas    (USA)

LAX to LHR on 27 July, back 1 August. Would be a fine airline but with one profound exception. There is no air- flow in the cabin. Flight attendant she said they had no control over the air circulation, only over the temperature. On some 777's one does have access to an air nozzle to supply flow to oneself, on most, however, it is indeed controlled by the airline. Flat bed in business is comic, but entertaining in its own way. No instruction manual comes with the seat so it is sort of 'figure it out for yourself'. To get the dining table to emerge (it is at foot level to the right) you have to reach over your left shoulder to a button which you push, which then releases the table. You then have to tug at knee level the large table up and out and, okay, all is fine. By the way, they are not seats, but more like a bed that can be shot up into some sort of seating position. Not comfortable to sit in. However, once you get this seat to go flat and once you have put the several inch thick mattress pads on the seat, you have a fantastic bed. I am one of those 4 million mile flyers and not given to complaint. I have never flown ANZ before and will not again until they sort out the basics. That said, the enthusiasm of the Kiwis on board, the joy of families going for the 'long haul' and the no fuss, upbeat nature, of the crew is wonderful.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  5 August 2013 by Mark Svatos    (New Zealand)

Auckland to Los Angeles on NZ 6, 777 (300) in premium economy. Heard lots of different feedback from these new seats, and I can honestly say they are heaps better than anything else out there, loads of leg room (I am over 6 ft), plenty of space around you and cubby holes to put your bits and pieces away. Food is up to business class standard and staff are very attentive. Inflight snack service (via your entertainment screen) is pretty awful not much choice, I think a chocolate bar, packet of chips, or a cookie was available. All in all a very good product.

Los Angeles to Auckland on NZ 1 in 777 (300) economy class. The only way I can describe an airline that insists on having 10 abreast seating on a 777 aircraft is pure greed, honestly it just does not work, you are so tightly packed and penned in it is just not funny. No matter how many pillows you tuck under and around yourself you just can't get into a comfortable position. As for trying to watch the inflight entertainment my only bit of advise is watch as much of it as you can before the meal service has ended, because as soon as that seat reclines in front the screen will be a couple of inches away from your face. On a positive note, no real queues for the toilet because so many people are trapped in their seat. I did find the staff excellent, especially towards the kids and the food was really quite yummy and enough to keep you full for such a long flight. Do not have too many expectations on the inflight snack service, all that was on offer was a packet of chips or a cookie. Next time it will be a lot longer flight and trip but I am sure it will be a much more pleasant trip on Virgin Australia.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  31 July 2013 by K Christensen    (Germany)

LHR-LAX and return in Premium Economy and were very pleased. A lot of room, good Food and cabin personnel friendly. Overall good experience, will fly with ANZ again.