Air New Zealand Passenger Reviews and Air New Zealand Customer Trip reports

Air New Zealand Customer review :  19 December 2013 by S Hunter    (Australia)

Flight was delayed due to a mechanical error - perfectly fine with me. The crew were polite and tried to keep us updated while we were in New Zealand. The next flight to Gold Coast was shortly afterwards but due to whatever reasons, no one from our flight was able to board this plane even though there were ten seats left. I feel apologetic for those with little ones to look after. We ended up flying on the next flight to Brisbane and expected to be able to coach straight to Coolangatta which the crew had promised. Unfortunately, we had to wait an hour for our coach to arrive and by then everyone was shattered. People from our flight had arrived as early as 5am and we were expected to arrive at 9.30am Queensland time. We arrived back around 8pm. Wouldn't fly Air New Zealand again. I wasn't impressed.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  19 December 2013 by N Mugavin    (Australia)

Flight Perth - Auckland on 777-200. Very friendly lady at check in asked if I would like an aisle or window. Night flight, went for the aisle, also put me in a row that had an empty seat next to it. Works ticket, very generous food portion, including a warmed roll. Very pleased with that added touch. Water runs made quite frequently by the cabin staff. Seat back screens blurry, plenty of legroom, arrived at Auckland ahead of time, everyone was off the plane quickly.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  18 December 2013 by S Fieldhouse    (New Zealand)

After 17 years of not flying with Air NZ, we decided to try again and flew Auckland - Shanghai, NZ 289, 6th December. The flight was fine. A 4 hour delay before we left Auckland, I felt this could have been dealt with a lot more efficiently at Shanghai airport, where I had a connecting flight that had just left. First I was told I was to go via Amsterdam to my destination in Zurich, then have the flight changed back to my original connecting flight with no directions to the transit desk. Great I thought when the flight was changed back to the original, however the very poor English speaker at the transit desk proceeded to give me the wrong time, as a consequence I missed my connecting flight. I was finally put on a Lufthansa flight to Frankfurt and arrived in Zurich 40 hours after I left home. Added to this my husband and daughter who have travelled separately, have had the same delay from Auckland airport. I realize this is a Shanghai airport problem, however from what I have since read from other reviewers it is not a one off occurrence. We have the prospect of this all occurring again when we fly back on 11th January 2014. We will go back to flying with either Singapore or Thai.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  18 December 2013 by D James    (New Zealand)

We were part of the 375 passengers upended by a flawed NZ7 flight from SFO to Auckland on Dec 12th. Scheduled time of departure 7.45pm PDT, cancelled due to "refuelling issue" at 11.30pm. All of us were placed into surrounding hotels. Fax at front desk said to report to gate at 11.30am and we would then depart at 1pm and that our flight was now modified to go from SFO to Honolulu then to Nadi, Fiji and finally Auckland. We didn't leave at 1, were delayed a few more hours due to "catering loading". Catering was messed up on the flight, breakfast served at dinner, timtams for breakfast and an attendant crew that was obviously on edge and running out of hours. To say the least any and all connecting flights were also impacted. My flight should have taken 12 hpurs, this route took 19. I'm considering alternatives for next time.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  16 December 2013 by Stuart Reay    (Australia)

Flew Sydney to Auckland in early December on 767. Very comfortable in the 2 seats. Didn't use their TV as had my iPad but crew were some of the best I have encountered. Very helpful friendly and seemed genuinely interested in passenger well being. On the return flight I asked about an upgrade as it was the 777-200 and was offered NZD$495 which I accepted. Lovely lounge in Auckland as you'd expect and great flight back. Very comfortable seat in business with lovely lunch service. Great value and would use again.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  16 December 2013 by J De Fraine    (Australia)

MEL-AKL-YVR. The new e-kiosk check in at Melbourne may be cheaper for Air NZ to operate than using human beings but it doesn't help passengers. I had only one bag (I'm allowed up to 3 in Business Class) which was 200g over the 23kg limit. Computer Says No. After moving a couple of items into my hand luggage (which isn't weighed) and some help from a harassed Air NZ human (who secretly admitted that she hates the new check-in system too) my bag was whisked away. An uneventful flight to Auckland, then on to Vancouver on an elderly and rather tatty 777-200 followed. Inflight entertainment is adequate but the movie selection is poor with no major new releases available. Service was friendly and unintrusive and the food was OK. I don't expect fine dining on a plane. I have to make this trip fairly frequently and this airline/route is by far the best option but over time I have noticed that Air NZs cost cutting is becoming more obvious and the premium I pay for the Business Class "experience" isn't as worthwhile as it once was.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  13 December 2013 by W Richards    (New Zealand)

Appalling service at Sydney airport 12 December 2013, on NZ 104 (Sydney - Auckland). As a monopoly and price gouger, Sydney Airport's reputation can't sink any lower, but to put a 767 on an outside stand is just daft. Yes, one of the planes at the airbridge was undergoing technical maintenance, but I cannot believe, in this day and age, another airbridge was not available. However, it was the resulting treatment of passengers that was the concern. A bus to the aircraft in over 30 degree heat - and then left locked in the bus (right alongside the aircraft) , no windows or doors open, for fifteen minutes. Most passengers have no seat, and the temperatures were rapidly rising. Requests to open doors and windows went unheeded. Apparently, the flight attendants had not been informed passengers were on their way. A lack of communication between aircraft and airport - not a good look for an airline at all!

Air New Zealand Customer review :  12 December 2013 by P Evans    (USA)

LAX-LHR premium economy on 777-300 with space seats. This is an amazing product. Speedy check-in at separate counters at LAX. Efficient boarding. Seat is amazing - really comfortable with loads of personal space and leg room. Separate cabin makes in feel very business class like. Toilets designed like boutique hotel with library book wall and kept clean throughout the flight. Food top notch and large glasses of wine. Great cabin service. Arrival into LHR ahead of time despite fog and fast delivery of bags. Cannot ask for more. One annoyance - flight attendant had friends in cabin and kept stopping to chat whilst in service.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  10 December 2013 by Jim Ash    (USA)

I flew from Sydney to Auckland on a Boeing 777-200ER in Business Class (seat 3A) and, although a quick 3.5 hour flight, it was excellent. The seats are roomy (didn't utilize the bed option) for the amount of time in the air, service was very personal and professional, and the food was great. The Service manager visited each Business Class customer prior to landing, and asked if everything was to their liking-rare these days to find that on airlines. Many options with the personal television for movies, TV programs and more. First time flying Air New Zealand and I was very impressed.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  9 December 2013 by Alex Kilroy    (Australia)

My 18 year old son has just arrived in Vancouver after flying MEK-AKL-YVR. He is travelling to a skiing camp so had excess and over sized baggage, which we had accounted for. Check-in at the at the airport is an e-kiosk, with no option to use a counter. This is fine if flying is straight forward and you have one bag. I was most unimpressed and sought assistance from ground staff, who were helpful. I noticed older passengers who were struggling and thought about families with young children, bags, prams and car seats and wonder how one person is to manage. The plane was old and the seat uncomfortable and he was served the identical meal on the Auckland and Vancouver legs. Luckily it was good however being hungry he asked for a second meal and was told he couldn't have one - this is company policy. So he went hungry for a 12 hr flight. This is not acceptable and we will not be flying Air NZ again.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  3 December 2013 by Mel Abbott    (New Zealand)

Auckland to Hong Kong on 15 October. So good! The steward was the most helpful I've known, the cabin was actually warm (I hate how cold most planes are), the food was fine, the movies were a bit out of date, but it seems that all the airlines are doing that now.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  3 December 2013 by A Hill    (USA)

We flew on November 21st service from Auckland to London, via Los Angeles LAX, and had a great, comfortable flight. They didn't have vegetarian meals on the plane, and upon realizing my boyfriend's medical dietary restrictions, the nice flight attendant made sure to get him anything he could eat. She was very attentive and sweet, and both of us felt well cared for on that very, very long flight. She invited me to try my first New Zealand red wine, and it was lovely. The boarding process was simple, check-in was easy, and the in-flight entertainment options were incredible, with lots of recent films.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  3 December 2013 by K Le Quang    (New Zealand)

Flying short haul from Christchurch to Auckland, it was one of my favourite flights. Staff were friendly and nice. The safety video instruction was the best I'd seen, and honestly, it was the first time I saw all the passengers paying attention to it. The only thing that I did not like was the food, well, actually the snack, Cookie Times and chips, no other choice. I preferred the muffin!

Air New Zealand Customer review :  2 December 2013 by Terry Carson    (New Zealand)

Wonderful service in Vancouver, Sydney and Auckland airports. Inflight entertainment and food were excellent. Cabin crew very friendly and helpful beyond call of duty. My wife required wheelchair due to injury and ground staff wonderfully attentive. The best in the business by far.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  2 December 2013 by G Thomas    (Switzerland)

Flight from Auckland to Shanghai: Check In: friendly but not very helpful staff, when I raised an issue the only answer was: give feedback on our website, this is not what you expect as Frequent Flyer and passenger flying in Business Class. Business Class seat: worst seat ever seen on a long-haul flight. The seat is a very old recliner seat, even not electronic but manual adjustment of seat position. Very uncomfortable. Food very bad (quality and taste, very limited choice). Service: OK but not on Business Class level. Conclusion: NZ is completely overrated, they have old aircraft's with old seats and the food and service is far below competitors!