Air New Zealand Passenger Reviews and Air New Zealand Customer Trip reports

Air New Zealand Customer review :  14 October 2013 by Greg Cronan    (Australia)

Had a great trip, MEL-AKL-LAX. The food and service were first class on full planes. This is the best way to judge an airline and New Zealand kept up the service all the way. The planes were all on time and I was impressed with the economy section meals. I needed an aisle seat and the staff went out of their way to get the seat for me. The inflight entertainment was second to none and the planes modern and comfortable.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  14 October 2013 by J Ireland    (Australia)

I paid extra for priority seating for myself and two companions and received no "priority" whatsoever on both long haul flights from Auckland to San Francisco and back. Seating was incredibly cramped. What a waste of money.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  14 October 2013 by R de Maid    (Australia)

Flew LHR to LAX and SFO-AKL-MEL. The staff on both the long haul legs were friendly and attentive. The PE seats on the 777-300 are far superior to those on the 777-200 but both have heaps of space. The food on all legs was really good and the NZ wines were excellent. I was offered (and accepted) single malt whisky which I thought pretty good. The overall service was far superior to both QF and CX (both of which were in Business Class) on our outward legs from MEL.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  10 October 2013 by J Joyce    (New Zealand)

My flights were from Christchurch to Auckland return. I was reasonably happy with everything except the seating. On both flights I was allocated a middle seat with no choice of changing. The space between the seat rows has been reduced so much my knees are jammed into the seat in front and when the passenger in front also reclined their seat there is no space to move or read. The passengers on either side of my seat both claimed the arm rests and I had to continually jostle for space. On one flight the passenger in front was not asked to put their seat upright before landing. I used to enjoy flying but now dread the thought of it.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  8 October 2013 by K Rizky Adi    (Indonesia)

SIN-LAX-AKL. Really good trip, although delayed 1 hour in Singapore's Changi Airport. All passengers got Vouchers for Burger King. Arriving at Auckland Airport, I waited in the Air New Zealand Lounge, clean and organized! It became one of the favourites of the trip.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  7 October 2013 by J Egan    (New Zealand)

AKL-LAX in Economy. Great to finally use the check-in machines at AKL for flights to N. America (now we just need online check-in). Efficient boarding and the dinner service was prompt after take-off, which maximises sleep time. Dinner was a nice, but salty, corned beef. Seat is comfortable, crew were professional but rather cold. Breakfast was fine - but I find most airlines breakfasts nasty, so this is a plus. It'd be interesting to see what my opinion was if there was any competition on this route for NZ. But for a monopoly the experience was more than good enough.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  7 October 2013 by Susan Oughton    (UK)

I travelled from LHR via LAX to New Zealand on 10 Sep 2013 and returned to LHR the same way on 3 Oct 2013. I cannot praise Air New Zealand's service highly enough. Everything was perfect, and in my opinion could not be faulted. A wonderful airline!

Air New Zealand Customer review :  3 October 2013 by Drake Jake    (Australia)

MEL-AKL Sep 2013 on 777. Business class overall generally what you'd expect but more expensive and not quite the experience of other trans-Tasman options. Herringbone seating comfortable enough but I am not a fan of the angled nature of it; window seats angled into the cabin making looking out of the window difficult. In-flight entertainment, food and beverages and service competent but not outstanding. Air NZ lounge in Melbourne nothing to write home about, no view other than the underside of docked aircraft and minimal food and drink.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  30 September 2013 by K Hughes    (UK)

LHR-LAX-AKL-LAX-LHR. First time flying Air NZ and was very impressed with the in-flight experience. Service excellent and lie flat seats on 777 were fabulous. Inflight entertainment has full TV series (not the one-off episodes provided by many other airlines). All in all I would recommend Air NZ. One small complaint is the transit through LAX (and therefore US customs/immigration). Would be improved by transiting through Vancouver or even Mexico City.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  30 September 2013 by J Kaplan    (USA)

Wonderful service, accommodation and staff throughout my journey from LAX-AKL. The VIP lounges are excellent and well stocked and the Premier Business class seats are the best lay flat seats I've travelled in. Wonderful meals and wine selections too! Koru Club in AKL is huge and has plenty of room to stretch out and drink/eat.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  30 September 2013 by R Connett    (New Zealand)

AKL-LAX-AKL in September. Economy class outward and Business Class inward. My high rating reflects the stellar service and quality of the product in Business class, its on a different planet to Economy Class. I snared an exit row seat at a $75 premium on the outward journey. There was plenty of leg room, but the width of the seats seems like it is decreasing every time I'm on one of their 777-300's. Luckily I was on good terms with my neighbour. The night time trip down to the toilets is a nightmare, having to manoeuvre your way through this obstacle course of legs, blankets, headphone cables in the aisles. I dread the day when the 747-400s are retired and the 777-300s are the only way to get to the US. Returning home in business class, you were in a different world, luxury, space and privacy is the epitome of what this award winning airline does very well. The only thing that drops this review from a 10 to a 9 was the fiasco at LAX just before the plane departed when the ground crew decided everyone needed to have their cabin baggage weighed. It was a fiasco and yes I agree, cabin baggage size and quantity needs to be monitored closely, but the manner in which this exercise was performed at the departure gate, in particular by one of the two ground staff, it really was unprofessional.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  26 September 2013 by E Johnson    (UK)

We flew economy from Auckland to Perth. Without doubt the worst airline we have flown. Arrived at 4am for our 6am flight and were unable to check in on the self check in machines. We spoke with a member of staff and told them our problem, his response was "yep that's cause your flights been cancelled." No further words, no help, nothing! We hadn't even been contacted. Eventually we managed to get out of him that we to go speak to someone at the customer service desk. The customer service desk then sent us to Qantas as they had booked us on another flight to Perth. Their check-in had already closed, we had to head back to customer service who after 20 minutes booked us on a flight at 2pm and gave us a couple of food vouchers. We then went to check in and were told we had to pay for our baggage-the flight cost nearly $700 each so why do I have to then pay $80 for baggage! Also told that if we wanted any food we had to pay for it even though it was included on our journey from Perth. We were extremely angry about the way Air New Zealand staff had treated us and it completely ruined our trip to Perth. I will definitely not book through them again and in future will be going with a decent airline like Qantas who can't do enough for you.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  26 September 2013 by Ken Duffin    (New Zealand)

HKG - AKL, 17th Sep 2013, Business Class. I was very impressed with this flight. The 777 lie-flat beds are extremely good and they actually make them up like a real bed. Food was excellent, and the cabin crew attention was about as good as you could get. I fly NZ - UK return relatively frequently and this is one of the best flight legs I've ever had. I would use this again no hesitation.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  19 September 2013 by S Wilson    (UK)

AKL-LAX-LHR in premium economy on Boeing 777-300 with the relatively new Spaceseats. I have flown NZ many times in long haul, but this was my first trip in the new Spaceseats, and I was pleasantly surprised. On the first leg I was in the front row, seat 23A (window) and 30E (middle section aisle) and found the seats private, comfortable and with a great deal of width that surpasses any other premium economy on the market (this is a 2-2-2 configuration where other airlines have 2-4-2 in this class). The fixed shell seats mean there is no encroachment from any seat in front, and the staggered design means the person next to you is not intrusive. The recline is a bid fiddly, but once you get used to it, is fine, with a decent sized pillow, blanket and a beanbag for footrest. I found it better to get my cabin bag down after takeoff, place it on the floor and put the beanbag on top for a serious leg rest, but it was easy to turn to one side resting the head against the shell of the seat and get some sleep. Food and beverage service is very much Business-lite, not economy plus, with good quality main courses, decent drinks service and all at a level that makes you feel it is much more premium than economy. The cabin itself was quiet, it helps that all seats except the windows have direct aisle access. Of course it is far removed from Business in that it is not a flat bed, and the food/beverage service for that has a bit more choice and other touches, but it is a world away from being crammed together like cattle in economy class. All in all, it made this ultra long haul route tolerable and reasonably pleasant (with a decent, although not outstanding inflight entertainment system, let down by fewer choices than there once were on NZ). It shows other airlines what premium economy can be like, although I'll admit the fare reflected this.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  16 September 2013 by John Kneijber    (Australia)

Travelled AKL-PPT on B767-300 and PPT-AKL on B747-400. Awarded recognition upgrades to business class in both directions so for us it was great value. Seating on the B747 very comfortable in the herringbone configuration. Standard recliner seats with 2x2x2 layout on B767 is ok for 5 hours but seats are too narrow. Excellent cabin crew and service as always, but catering appears to have dropped of recently. Always a great selection of beverages but food offerings just average lately. Entertainment options also not that great with limited new release films. Contract lounge in Papeete is pathetic and almost not worth the effort. Still our preferred airline as great crew compensate for the other shortcomings. Will be glad to see the B767 retired when the B787 comes into the fleet. Will be travelling to LAX next year on B777-300 and will be interested to see if catering is any better.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  11 September 2013 by S Nakashima    (USA)

Used Air New Zealand from Honolulu to Auckland, then Auckland to Cairns, Aug 23 and Aug 24, and Cairns to Auckland and Auckland to Los Angeles, Aug 30. Had a very good impression of the company until the last leg of the trip from Auckland to LA, when we were informed that 2 of our 3 confirmed seats were given to other passengers. At first the ANZ associate didn't mind separating our family, eventually accommodated us together in another row. Uuncertain if we would fly ANZ again.