Air New Zealand Passenger Reviews and Air New Zealand Customer Trip reports

Air New Zealand Customer review :  24 February 2014 by N Leslie    (USA)

SFO-AKL round-trip. Seat pitch adequate for my 6'1' husband but footrest is useless, does not come up high enough for anyone. Recline adequate for nap. Attentive staff. Meals well presented and fairly good. Entertainment system needs refurbishment, remotes in both directions needed work and sound wasn't working properly in my seat on the return. I'm pretty sure that they used the same equipment on the outbound flight as I heard a person in my (future) seat making the same complaint about the sound on the outbound leg and wasn't surprised (but was disappointed) to discover that it had not been fixed a week later (or if fixed broke again already). Choice of entertainment good when working. Efficient ground staff. Notification of delay on the return was timely and adequate. Amenity kit and water bottle holder very useful, but avoid front row of premium economy where it just becomes an annoyance because there is no storage.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  24 February 2014 by J Harris    (Australia)

SYD-AKL-LAX and LAX-AKL-SYD. Consistently warm, helpful and willing staff. Excellent product on the 777 with the thicker mattress on the bed (compared with Virgin Atlantic) and restaurant quality food and wine selection. Toilets are extremely small but there is a disabled one available in premium economy. Overall excellent interaction despite missed connection due to another carrier. Overall I would always choose to fly with AirNZ if possible. Unfortunately let down by their alliance with United who are the antithesis of everything AirNZ is. Would love them to have wider seats in Business on 767 as I choose to travel in business due to size and not to disturb or impede people next to me if I flew in economy. The 767 seat is my least favourite aspect of the experience.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  21 February 2014 by Nieves Rosanna    (New Zealand)

Auckland to Nadi, Fiji on 14/02/2014 (NZ752) and back on 19/02/2014 (NZ753) and on both flights I was not given the food of my choice. On the trip to Nadi they had chicken or salmon but by the time they got to our row (which was only on row 18) they had run out of the chicken. The terrible thing about it was how the flight attendant approached the situation. She said "we've ran out of the chicken and only have salmon, will you be happy with that.". No apologies or any kind word to say to a passenger who paid extra for the food! On the return trip, same scenario. Except they had a choice of chicken or lamb and they ran out of chicken. Considering we were only in row 15 (and there were so many more rows behind us) to run out of the more popular choice that early on is just not right. I would've been okay with it but the flight attendant gave that same annoying line again "will you be happy with that?". The problem is, I do not eat lamb. After I said to the attendant I don't eat lamb she said there was a vegetarian meal that no one has claimed, will I be happy with that? again, that line! I didn't think I had a choice so yes, I will have it but I cannot say I am happy with it.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  18 February 2014 by G Warren    (Australia)

MEL-AKL-SFO return in J class on NZ's very old 747s. Being a TG Platinum member I don't often travel on other carriers, but have no real choice when it comes to the US. Have to say that flying NZ is a predominantly pleasant experience with real food served restaurant style, a fantastic lie flat bed (even in the old planes) and great service from experienced cabin crew. So in the air great, but on the ground they leave a lot to be desired. The self serve check in at MEL is a joke. It is not a premium service and you need to manually check that your baggage is tagged priority. AKL boarding is a schmozzle with very small gates and loads of passengers. Forget about trying to access the premium boarding gates! So all in all great on board, but lousy on ground.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  13 February 2014 by R Connett    (New Zealand)

Flew with my business partner, AKL-LAX-AKL in Premium Economy on 777-300. Boarding was stress free both sides as we were Premium Economy, plus Star Alliance Gold and Koru members, so either way we were first on the plane. The flight attendants were available and were there to help right from the start with overhead locker storage etc. Main meals were delivered shortly after take off both ends and the quality of the meals were very similar, if not the same to what I've had in business class, with each course brought out separately. Quality of the alcohol was good, plus it was nice to have a good mug of tea, coffee and after dinner mints afterwards. Amenity Packs were the same as in business class. The seat is multi adjustable and obviously nowhere near lie flat, but after some adjustment, got a nice sleeping position. The seat and footwells accommodated my 6 foot 2 inch frame, my only criticism was the footwell that narrows wouldn't accommodate my size 12’s, so take your shoes off and rest your feet on the bean bag supplied. The crew both ways were excellent. The quality of service was excellent. The seats being pod design mean your personal space is not encroached on, I am disappointed to hear that Premium Economy seating on their Dreamliner, or the 777-200 upgrades will not be using this type of seating.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  12 February 2014 by Johanna Om    (USA)

After being an Air NZ fan for 20 plus years, just had the worst flight experience on a 777 from San Francisco to Auckland. The flight was overbooked, the seats were horribly uncomfortable, and the food was terrible. Perhaps Air NZ have fitted another row into economy, it is intolerably cramped - my knees touched the seat in front of me and I couldn't comfortably put my arms by my sides for 13 hours! I'm a small woman! The seat in front of me was so close that I couldn't watch a movie! Didn't matter because after 6 hours, the entertainment center failed in our row!

Air New Zealand Customer review :  30 January 2014 by L Shaw    (New Zealand)

Flew from Melbourne, Flight 728, January 24th. Asked for works told not available, woman next to me got meal. Option should be available if asked for. Films were awful, not worth the $10 asked. Water was undrinkable. Prices to fly from Hamilton to Wellington are extortionate just because they have a monopoly.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  24 January 2014 by T James    (New Zealand)

I fly Air NZ a lot and as always was very happy with the service I received. 1/1/14, AKL-PVG, NZ289. The flight was on time, check in was smooth and the staff were very friendly as usual. The seat was comfortable and the bed gave me a great sleep on my overnight flight. Flying Air NZ in any class is very nice, but they do Business Premier very well!

Air New Zealand Customer review :  22 January 2014 by Greg Bell    (Australia)

Brisbane to Auckland to San Francisco, 4/12/13, returning 6/12/14, Business Class. Brilliant service on this airline. Love the way they employ mature flight attendants, who are so friendly, courteous and helpful. Seat folding to flat bed for transpacific flight was wonderfully comfortable. Food was (mostly) delicious, with some exceptions.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  20 January 2014 by Sue Day    (UK)

I travelled alone to NZ via LA on 17th December returning on 8th January both ways as economy passenger. On the outward flight I was lucky enough to be upgraded to a better seat by the LHR lady who checked me in and was happy with everything. Don't expect to be super comfy in economy but this 'preferred seat' was great. On the return flight on checking in at Christchurch for the hop to Auckland (NZ 546, 7/1/14, boarding 19.15) I asked the check in attendant if there was any chance of a better seat (mine was 55F one seat in from the aisle in the central row where I had not enough room to pick up something I had dropped on the floor). I was told in no uncertain terms that "I was lucky to have a seat as this flight is overbooked"! I was pretty annoyed. As I had 24hrs flying ahead of me I decided to remain calm and not react. Fortunately at LA (what a dive that is) I asked tentatively if there was any chance of a change of seat and the attendant was able to offer me a window seat 49A which was so much more comfortable, I had room to move for which I was most grateful. Apart from the lady at Christchurch I have nothing but praise for the staff both ground and air.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  17 January 2014 by Rickie Modi    (New Zealand)

My trip was WLG-ACK-LAX/SFO return. Great work. First time flying on air New Zealand despite living in the country for over 15 years. Excellent catering and entertainment. Would use again.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  17 January 2014 by C Stander    (New Zealand)

PER-AKL, NZ 0176. Good comfortable seat. Female staff unfriendly, unhelpful, abrupt and unnecessarily rude to some passengers. Seemed they were plain irritated at being "at work." that day. Sat at back, so had to accept what was left on the trolley. Food not very good either. Beverages were also slow in being supplied throughout the trip. Tv plus remote did not function properly, so did not watch any entertainment. Co-sharing SAA did not do it for me either on the first leg of my trip from SA. Sat on tarmac for an hour before take-off due to a "technical" problem. Will definitely not fly Air NZ again.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  17 January 2014 by M Potter    (Japan)

Flew Christchurch-Auckland, then Auckland-Tokyo. B767-300 ER. Cabin spotless. Staff were very friendly and talkative. Food was great although I wasn't able choose as one of the options had run out. However, the lemon pepper chicken was tasty anyway. Lots of great entertainment, music and movies were awesome. Didn't get bored the whole flight. Flight left Auckland 20 minutes late and arrived in Tokyo 20 minutes early! A speedy baggage pickup meant I was able to get an early bus to my home town. Saved me about an hour and a half of waiting. Overall a great experience. Highly recommend Air NZ.