Air New Zealand Passenger Reviews and Air New Zealand Customer Trip reports

Air New Zealand Customer review :  9 January 2014 by Chris McQuaid    (New Zealand)

Two trips AKL-CHC-AKL and one AKL-WLG-AKL in the last three weeks. I'm pleased that they've gone back to the Lord of the Rings safety video - grabs your attention much better than any other I've seen in recent years. Information from flight deck good apart from one sector, where the First Officer seemed to be whispering. No problems with the flights themselves - my only grizzle is about the automated check-in machines. On two of my Christchurch legs the machine wouldn't print a bag tag, so I had to join the long queue to get one from the manned counter. There also seemed to be some in both Auckland and Christchurch that weren't working.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  8 January 2014 by P Jones    (Australia)

LAX-AKL, Premium Economy Spaceseat. Seat large and very comfortable for 6ft, 100 kg male. Tilt / recline took a couple of attempts yet once learned quite simple. Loved the no recline from seat in front. Legroom was more than enough. Sat in middle seats with partner, more than enough room for a couple. Enjoyed middle armrests as table. Seat most impressive for this class of travel, highly recommended. Entertainment system didn't have a large selection of movies although with so many internet/ on demand systems at home these days I am finding this is the case with many airlines. Service fine although nothing special, ordered drinks from entertainment screen menu always took a while to arrive. Food was fantastic although dessert is served before main. Avoid seats near toilets as a queue often forms. Overall a fantastic way to fly. Would be great if more airlines offered the spaceseat.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  7 January 2014 by D Kusiak    (Sweden)

Flight from Nadi, Fiji back to Auckland on 767-300 on Nov 2013. Plane very old and dirty. Awful smell from the rest room the whole flight. Exit seat - absolutely not worth the money. Food quality and service below average. The price for the flight ticket was very expensive. No air miles for those flights in Miles and More programme.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  6 January 2014 by M Stringfellow    (Australia)

Sydney - Auckland - Queenstown return. Tran Tasman was okay. I know cabin crew seem to have a tough job, but at the end of flight was bombarded by crew asking for performance reviews to the cabin manager. Got a tad much after a while. Food pretty poor Auckland - Queenstown return. A small cookie and a tea for a 1 hr 45 min flight. Also in close proximity to screaming toddlers - the cabin crew gave out ear plugs but hey what can you do. Return trip in Premier sort of lacked the "refinement" of say Qantas or Cathay. Sort of too relaxed and friendly. Wouldn't go Business again for that short distance again.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  6 January 2014 by S Adlama    (USA)

AKL-Nadi. Business Premier. Smart 777-300 felt roomy and the interior modern. It was a short 3 hour flight through to Nadi which I was looking forward too after 2 weeks in NZ. The Lounge was Ok and well serviced but very busy. The Qantas Lounge is a letter better and comfortable. Boarding was smooth and the crew welcomed us by name, which is a great touch. Service was professional, friendly and somewhat quick to the point of being a little hurried. The NZ wines and meal was excellent. The seat is great especially when I managed to get a 60 min nap in prior to landing. You can't beat the privacy but it comes at a cost of being social when traveling with a partner. I am not sure if this would be my first choice from LAX-AKL as a re-branded south pacific airline was better in the all round. Air NZ is still a great airline product though!

Air New Zealand Customer review :  6 January 2014 by Diane Bull    (Australia)

Premium economy LAX to Auckland. The Spaceseat looks impressive, but was disappointed to find it quite grubby, wet wipes to the rescue, sealed travel blanket covered in food bits, quickly replaced by staff. I loved the seat quite comfortable, taller traveling companion found it very restrictive to finding a comfortable sleeping position. Cabin full but quiet, nice staff, all helpful. Food was very disappointing, fish was just warm, not heated properly, salad had died many days ago. Dessert served before dinner, economy style food with a bit of extra garnish. No tea or coffee after dinner, wine service was just a drinks trolley as per economy. Aside from the food, all in all more pleasant than economy, but IMO lacked the finesse and polish many other premium services offer.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  3 January 2014 by Terry McKenna    (Australia)

Trans Tasman A320. Economy class. In many ways ANZ are a great airline. But, the seating on these aircraft's are the tightest I have encountered. I am an average build male and had to squeeze myself into my seat. If the passenger in front decides to recline their seat be prepared to wear your meal. I have travelled overseas on several 'budget' airlines and have had more room. This configuration is fine for a 40 minute AKL-WLG flight but not for a 4 hour flight with meals.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  2 January 2014 by K Robinson    (Australia)

Travelled business premier class from AKL to Honolulu. Although in row 2, were ignored until last for our meal service. Both times missed out on our choices, can easily get over that but the order in which cabin crew served people was a mess, made no sense and took forever to complete. Half the time crew didn't know who had served who and on a few occasions, drink orders were forgotten and on asking another crew member to follow up, they continued to leave it to the original crew member who had long forgotten. The order of service was not front to back, back to front or side to side, it was completely random. The rest of row 2 had been served even though we frantically tried to get the crews attention. Paid full fare tickets. Felt completely left out and almost felt like the crew were prejudice against us even though they were lovely chatting to us. Very strange and wouldn't put my money back there to risk being mistreated again.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  21 December 2013 by S Wilson    (UK)

NRT-CHC on 777-200 in premium economy. I knew the product would be inferior to the 777-300 and 747 ones, but still it is a relief to have much more legroom and better catering. Check in at NRT was a breeze, and the ANA lounge (as I have Air NZ Elite/Star Alliance Gold status) is pleasant, quiet and comfortable with an adequate range of snacks and drinks. Boarding was a bit chaotic as the gate area has people scattered standing around, making it difficult to get to priority boarding easily. Once on board service was efficient and helpful, my Elite status was recognised by getting first requests for all meals for myself and my partner. Dinner was a reasonable fish dish, and breakfast was poached eggs which were heated sufficiently and not too much. Wine, drinks services always very good. Seats are tired and need replacing. 3-3-3 configuration for premium economy isn't good value for money, especially since you lose an inch of seat width as the tray tables fold into the fixed armrests. The seats are quite hard and the leg rest useless for anyone my height or above (I'm 5'10"). Inflight entertainment system had an adequate selection, but mine was buggy and needed rebooting. Luggage arrived quickly at Christchurch. Overall reasonable experience as the fare premium over economy was only about 22%, but it wouldn't justify full fare.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  19 December 2013 by S Hunter    (Australia)

Flight was delayed due to a mechanical error - perfectly fine with me. The crew were polite and tried to keep us updated while we were in New Zealand. The next flight to Gold Coast was shortly afterwards but due to whatever reasons, no one from our flight was able to board this plane even though there were ten seats left. I feel apologetic for those with little ones to look after. We ended up flying on the next flight to Brisbane and expected to be able to coach straight to Coolangatta which the crew had promised. Unfortunately, we had to wait an hour for our coach to arrive and by then everyone was shattered. People from our flight had arrived as early as 5am and we were expected to arrive at 9.30am Queensland time. We arrived back around 8pm. Wouldn't fly Air New Zealand again. I wasn't impressed.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  19 December 2013 by N Mugavin    (Australia)

Flight Perth - Auckland on 777-200. Very friendly lady at check in asked if I would like an aisle or window. Night flight, went for the aisle, also put me in a row that had an empty seat next to it. Works ticket, very generous food portion, including a warmed roll. Very pleased with that added touch. Water runs made quite frequently by the cabin staff. Seat back screens blurry, plenty of legroom, arrived at Auckland ahead of time, everyone was off the plane quickly.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  18 December 2013 by S Fieldhouse    (New Zealand)

After 17 years of not flying with Air NZ, we decided to try again and flew Auckland - Shanghai, NZ 289, 6th December. The flight was fine. A 4 hour delay before we left Auckland, I felt this could have been dealt with a lot more efficiently at Shanghai airport, where I had a connecting flight that had just left. First I was told I was to go via Amsterdam to my destination in Zurich, then have the flight changed back to my original connecting flight with no directions to the transit desk. Great I thought when the flight was changed back to the original, however the very poor English speaker at the transit desk proceeded to give me the wrong time, as a consequence I missed my connecting flight. I was finally put on a Lufthansa flight to Frankfurt and arrived in Zurich 40 hours after I left home. Added to this my husband and daughter who have travelled separately, have had the same delay from Auckland airport. I realize this is a Shanghai airport problem, however from what I have since read from other reviewers it is not a one off occurrence. We have the prospect of this all occurring again when we fly back on 11th January 2014. We will go back to flying with either Singapore or Thai.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  18 December 2013 by D James    (New Zealand)

We were part of the 375 passengers upended by a flawed NZ7 flight from SFO to Auckland on Dec 12th. Scheduled time of departure 7.45pm PDT, cancelled due to "refuelling issue" at 11.30pm. All of us were placed into surrounding hotels. Fax at front desk said to report to gate at 11.30am and we would then depart at 1pm and that our flight was now modified to go from SFO to Honolulu then to Nadi, Fiji and finally Auckland. We didn't leave at 1, were delayed a few more hours due to "catering loading". Catering was messed up on the flight, breakfast served at dinner, timtams for breakfast and an attendant crew that was obviously on edge and running out of hours. To say the least any and all connecting flights were also impacted. My flight should have taken 12 hpurs, this route took 19. I'm considering alternatives for next time.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  16 December 2013 by Stuart Reay    (Australia)

Flew Sydney to Auckland in early December on 767. Very comfortable in the 2 seats. Didn't use their TV as had my iPad but crew were some of the best I have encountered. Very helpful friendly and seemed genuinely interested in passenger well being. On the return flight I asked about an upgrade as it was the 777-200 and was offered NZD$495 which I accepted. Lovely lounge in Auckland as you'd expect and great flight back. Very comfortable seat in business with lovely lunch service. Great value and would use again.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  16 December 2013 by J De Fraine    (Australia)

MEL-AKL-YVR. The new e-kiosk check in at Melbourne may be cheaper for Air NZ to operate than using human beings but it doesn't help passengers. I had only one bag (I'm allowed up to 3 in Business Class) which was 200g over the 23kg limit. Computer Says No. After moving a couple of items into my hand luggage (which isn't weighed) and some help from a harassed Air NZ human (who secretly admitted that she hates the new check-in system too) my bag was whisked away. An uneventful flight to Auckland, then on to Vancouver on an elderly and rather tatty 777-200 followed. Inflight entertainment is adequate but the movie selection is poor with no major new releases available. Service was friendly and unintrusive and the food was OK. I don't expect fine dining on a plane. I have to make this trip fairly frequently and this airline/route is by far the best option but over time I have noticed that Air NZs cost cutting is becoming more obvious and the premium I pay for the Business Class "experience" isn't as worthwhile as it once was.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  13 December 2013 by W Richards    (New Zealand)

Appalling service at Sydney airport 12 December 2013, on NZ 104 (Sydney - Auckland). As a monopoly and price gouger, Sydney Airport's reputation can't sink any lower, but to put a 767 on an outside stand is just daft. Yes, one of the planes at the airbridge was undergoing technical maintenance, but I cannot believe, in this day and age, another airbridge was not available. However, it was the resulting treatment of passengers that was the concern. A bus to the aircraft in over 30 degree heat - and then left locked in the bus (right alongside the aircraft) , no windows or doors open, for fifteen minutes. Most passengers have no seat, and the temperatures were rapidly rising. Requests to open doors and windows went unheeded. Apparently, the flight attendants had not been informed passengers were on their way. A lack of communication between aircraft and airport - not a good look for an airline at all!

Air New Zealand Customer review :  12 December 2013 by P Evans    (USA)

LAX-LHR premium economy on 777-300 with space seats. This is an amazing product. Speedy check-in at separate counters at LAX. Efficient boarding. Seat is amazing - really comfortable with loads of personal space and leg room. Separate cabin makes in feel very business class like. Toilets designed like boutique hotel with library book wall and kept clean throughout the flight. Food top notch and large glasses of wine. Great cabin service. Arrival into LHR ahead of time despite fog and fast delivery of bags. Cannot ask for more. One annoyance - flight attendant had friends in cabin and kept stopping to chat whilst in service.