Air New Zealand Passenger Reviews and Air New Zealand Customer Trip reports

Air New Zealand Customer review :  9 April 2014 by F Silvestri    (USA)

Just flew from LAX to AKL on ANZ in business class. It is what business class should be like. Very attentive staff although the food is getting a bit downgraded and staff at the LAX lounge are just okay, I think the majority of staff are now subcontractors so do not have the Kiwi values except for long term staff. Air NZ needs to be careful not to try and squeeze out too much profit, yet is still offers one of the best business classes in the field. Just fly UAL from Sydney and see how they have not really upped their game. I wish they would match AirNZ.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  8 April 2014 by M Bauer    (USA)

Bought a two week Rarotonga/Aitutaki trip, first class hotels, business class airfare, outbound had OBE problems, had to move seats, food was mediocre, seats old and not comfortable for J class overnight seating. Arrival arrangements went well, inter-island travel was challenging because of Air New Zealand's confusing docs re luggage weight allowances. On return day AIT to RAR, ANZ pilot took ill, so we were forced to layover a night in Raro. After waiting over 4 hours at Raro airport for ANZ staff to appear, ANZ proved totally inattentive to our needs, making us wait in the dark, literally, and then they refused to pay for our dinner that night (we ate it too early, 7pm) and staff didn't arrive at airport until 9pm) when we knew well before ANZ staff appeared at the airport that we needed to eat because there would be no "on-board" service that evening. A horrible experience, no follow up, save your money and book your own trip/hotels through Fiji.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  7 April 2014 by Thorne Julie    (Australia)

My husband and I flew San Francisco to Auckland, NZ 7 on 30th March. Flight delayed due to an electrical fault, due to board at 7.45pm but were eventually seated at 10.15e. Then informed that the paperwork required to had not been produced and waited a further 1 hour 45 mins, this at least gave the pilot time to reboot the entertainment units which weren't working. We had purchased seats with extra leg room which had the entertainment units folded into the seat frame. We were aware that the units would have to be folded away during take off and as the system required rebooting we entertained ourselves by reading. As the safety instruction began a stewardess suddenly snapped at us to "please pay attention to the safety video" which she only then seemed to realise we hadn't accessed. My husband however was quite happy to follow the video, right up to the point where you're asked to check if you've turned all your electrical equipment to flight mode. It was at this point that the stewardess roundly set upon him as he, as per instruction checked his iPod. It was demanded that he turn it off immediately, followed by a barked demand to know if he'd done so. This set the tone for the rest of the flight. At no stage before or during our flight did we say or do anything to warrant this sort of attitude. Also my husbands entertainment systems kept cutting out during the flight. I'd like to say that the ground staff who rescheduled our connecting flight, and the members of that crew were great.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  3 April 2014 by Fleming Alan    (New Zealand)

AKL-PER in the 3x3x3 configuration. As regular Perth trippers (like 25 over 20 years) it was one of the most uncomfortable, disappointing trips we have experienced. One needs to be almost a contortionist to extricate oneself for toilet visits due to 2 things. One is the closeness of the seat in front when it is reclined, coupled with the fact that the intermediate arm rest will not lift high enough to get around comfortably, but having achieved that, one still has to negotiate around the aisle arm rest which would not lift at all! My wife and I are not high body-mass people! Food quality was definitely not up to previous standards. Trying to play a favourite CD became a rather user/unfriendly mission and when I did get it, it was punctuated and disjointed. On disembarking we eyed the PE seats with new interest and are contemplating an upgrade on our return, but it shouldn't have to be like that. We get the feeling that passenger comfort/satisfaction in the standard economy class has been compromised by the extreme pressure the airline is under to return a satisfactory performance to the shareholders. We remain loyal to our own airline, but are seriously questioning the cost.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  27 March 2014 by Schögler Chris    (Austria)

NZ288 from Shanghai to Auckland on B777-200 in Business Class, seats 3A and 3B - very good comfort in sleeping in case of flat bed, seating comfort good. Staff very friendly and professional. Catering - not really a positive surprise, perhaps in case of the Shanghai route hard oriented to Chinese food and not New Zealand. However, if you're booked on the 777 it's ok, if the flight is operated on the 767-300 - forget it ! The flight back from Auckland to Shanghai (12 hours) was really poor on the very narrow recliner seats of the old 767´s.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  27 March 2014 by Schögler Chris    (Austria)

ANZ 289 from Auckland to Shanghai - this time on Boeing 767-300 in Business Class. Seat 2A and 2B. Seat quality - poor as the seats are too narrow! The monitors are stored in the middle armrest, that leads to a very small seat, less felt wide as in ECO. Recliner would be ok, but the width is very poor for a 12 hours flight in Business Class! Team great, food - in case of the Shanghai trip very "Chinese oriented" and not typical for ANZ hopefully. So if the flight is done by a 767-300 - avoid! The 777-200 seat quality is much better.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  27 March 2014 by Carolyn Beadle    (New Zealand)

We travelled from Auckland to San Francisco on Air New Zealand's 747. This was a non stop flight and although the food and service were ok only, the entertainment system was extremely disappointing. It was antiquated - limited movies, music, games and news. The push button hand control needed extra pressure going over. On the return flight, it was not possible to get any music at all. The system was rebooted (nothing); I was taken to two other seats (still no music). Compared to Emirates' flights, this experience with Air NZ was extremely disappointing.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  24 March 2014 by G Merrick    (Canada)

NZ8, AKL to SFO, departure was delayed as the air conditioning wasn't working on the ground, when we got on the plane was still warm. Video system was not working so attendant suggested using middle seat screen but aisle seat passenger had to use it as his audio was not working. After waiting 30 mins turns out it was working but no one bothered to advise me it had been reset. Crew couldn't turn down overhead lights after meal and surprisingly comment cards never appeared for feedback. Sent an email 5 days ago & no response. 747 looked worn out.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  21 March 2014 by Judge Anthony    (Belgium)

I have travelled on a number of occasions from Melbourne to Christchurch and have much admired the unique qualities of that experience as an introduction to NZ. On the last occasion this was on a code sharing flight with Virgin. The experience reversed my previous appreciation of the introduction to NZ. The best of NZ Airlines seems to have been undermined by the worst of Virgin. I watched an Air NZ ground staff member stand by and instruct my wife to load her weighty suitcase on to the luggage belt before I could intervene. My wife had spent the previous two days undergoing heart check ups. Furthermore I was impressed to note the speed with which the ground staff requested an extra 80 dollars for an extra bag when it was reasonably evident that the extra bag could have been packed into the non-extra one. Please note that the comment rating relates to the experience in the code sharing flight with Virgin.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  21 March 2014 by Peter van Zoggel    (New Zealand)

Flight NZ 8046, Christchurch to Wellington, 19 March 2014. Our flight yesterday went beyond just "good service," it was excellent service. This is not necessarily because anything out of the ordinary happened on our flight but rather because our Air New Zealand pilots and cabin attendant just did the ordinary things particularly well. No fuss, no bother, just professionalism. We felt comfortable, happy and safe, and when it is all said and done that's why one chooses to fly with a particular airline.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  19 March 2014 by J Marcos    (USA)

I flew from SFO to Auckland. The entertainment system is phenomenal. I did not run out of movies to choose from, the whole plane ride was not enough for me to watch all the movies available unlike the other airlines with limited movies. Other airlines like United charges for entertainment access (ridiculous). The food is filling and the unlimited wine helped. The seats are very comfy with plenty of leg room, the only problem is getting out when the people seating in front of you all have their seats reclined, it gets pretty tricky. Nevertheless, I will certainly chose Air New Zealand again if given the chance.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  19 March 2014 by P List    (New Zealand)

NZ 9 and 10 flights from Auckland to Honolulu return. This could not be considered even remotely close to what business class travel should be. Check your own bags in, late departure with no reason given, shoddy lounge, poor food and beverage choice with disinterested slow cabin staff. The plane itself is worn out too. I would definitely not be encouraging anyone to pay to fly air NZ business class. Might be just worth the cost of an economy ticket.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  6 March 2014 by P List    (Australia)

Regular ANZ flyer, most recently SYD-AKL, 7th Feb 2014, then WEL-SYD, 12th Feb. Seat+Bag ticket. SYD-AKL on larger plane (777). Boarding was an issue - boarding gate too small for size of plane/number of passengers and then many passengers started queuing up before boarding called which meant that boarding by row numbers was a bit pointless. Onboard all good as usual although was very cold and I had to get a blanket, also I'm a bit sick of the Hobbit safety video. Service great - lots of staff on hand to help with self check-in and bag drop. Onboard didn't have much to do with staff, but seemed fine as usual. Used ANZ smartphone app for first time - very nice app and easy to use with helpful info. WEL-SYD on A320. Online check-in easy. Much easier boarding with smaller plane. Otherwise flight similar. Overall - not used to the larger plane with longer boarding and alighting time and I don't really like it, so will try to avoid in future bookings. Seats also seemed closer together? Entertainment OK, but could have done with a few more TV shows to choose from. Don't really like their new system of paying extra for the preferential seats, but understand that there is an opportunity for them to make a bit of extra profit there. Glad to have finally got some frequent flyer points for this trans-Tasman flight, as previously they have not given this with the cheaper seats.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  6 March 2014 by L Gascoyne    (Australia)

We flew MEL-LAX return in Business Premier on 3rd Dec returning 19th Jan. Although our 5th trip with Air NZ this was our first time travelling Business. I was impressed from the moment we were on the plane, we were warmly greeted by the hostess and whilst getting settled were offered a pre-take off drink whilst the other passengers were boarding. At this time they also take an order for your pre-dinner drink to be served once cruising altitude is reached. Drinks and Food came out promptly and was of a high quality, impressed that we were not presented with standard airline food. The lie flat beds were comfortable enough to get a few hours sleep on the long flight and definitely worth the extra money we spent. Entertainment system provided plenty of choice to suit a range of tastes, making the trip going very fast. We had the same positive experience on our flight home and cannot praise Air NZ enough for such an enjoyable journey.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  3 March 2014 by J Johnson    (USA)

Flew round trip from LAX to Rarotonga. The flight into Raro was fine except for the simply fair quality of food. The seating in economy was comfortable for a 9 hour overnight international flight. My primary complaint is about the terribly long lines for check-in at Raro for the Saturday night departure to LAX. The check-in counter is outside in a warm and humid climate and there are only 3 or 4 people working to serve scores of passengers and handle their baggage. We stood in line for over 1.5 hours even though we arrived 2 hours ahead of departure. There's obviously poor management for a process that occurs once per week and seemingly could easily be remedied by having a couple of more persons on staff for this check-in, installation of some kiosks, a faster computer system and some fans outside of the counter area. If you're infirm, elderly or don't want your vacation capped off by a very unpleasant experience on your departure, consider some other destination (or perhaps Virgin Australia).

Air New Zealand Customer review :  27 February 2014 by Gerkema Edo    (Netherlands)

For me the self-check-in did not work out properly. In Wellington I was kindly assisted by someone from Air NZ . Also for my return flight home the self-check-in was aborted and had to go to the kiosk in Auckland. For my last trip from Auckland (NZ) to Dusseldorf (D) there I could only get a boarding pass for just the flight from Auckland to Sydney. For the other boarding passes I had to find my way in Sydney to get the next boarding passes. Very inconvenient and stressful, especially when one needs an aisle seat because of physical handicap. Finally has it been handled well by the staff of Etihad.