Air New Zealand Passenger Reviews and Air New Zealand Customer Trip reports

Air New Zealand Customer review :  26 April 2013 by Craig Willis    (Australia)

Wellington-Sydney-Melbourne. Check-in at Wellington is all self-serve for Air New Zealand flights and at 5.00 am was very busy. No recognition or separate check-in area for VA Platinum members. Was helped by staff to print boarding pass and luggage tags as machine would not scan my passport. Lounge run Air New Zealand is very pleasant and adjacent to departure gates and the duty-free is very good. Allocated seat 21c with "the works" package and the flight was very good with pleasant staff and good selection of movies. Arrival in Sydney on time and after clearing customs etc went straight to the VA Transfer desk for flight to Melbourne. Transfer was seamless and used the newly renovated VA lounge in Sydney which is brilliant. SYD-MEL leg was also very good with plenty of spare seats at the back so was able to get an empty row. Enjoyed a nice cup of tea and landed 2 mins late due long taxi in Sydney. Baggage delivery was very prompt.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  24 April 2013 by Craig Willis    (Australia)

Melbourne-Wellington on the Works package. A320 in very good condition and was allocated an exit row aisle seat. Upon boarding was greeted by a crew member who handed me a newspaper and noise cancelling headsets. Left right on time and after take-off the crew did a drinks run and shortly after served a hot breakfast with tea and coffee. Watched a movie in the back of seat screen. One of the highlights is Air New Zealand's flight tracking on the screens!! Landed 20 mins early in Wellington. Overall an excellent product.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  22 April 2013 by Edward Minnell    (New Zealand)

Flew NZ to LAX. Horrible seating. The seats are jammed so tightly together that of the 4 of us in the aisle only 2 could open their food trays up. I had to sit with one leg in the aisle as did many others which meant constant tripping up of people and an inability to sleep. As others have mentioned the economy section was absolutely roasting. I suspect they cannot cool it properly due to how tight the seating is. I got to my destination exhausted, sweaty and in pain. We have to return on the same plane in 3 days and both of us are approaching it with total dread. If you are travelling between Auckland and LA on economy, do yourself a favour and find a different airline.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  17 April 2013 by Robert Boizard    (New Zealand)

Auckland-Honolulu return flight. We left Hawaii happy, landed in Auckland feeling rather jaded. My partner was happy enough but my seat was lopsided, the flight uncomfortable. Cabin staff were unfriendly, the senior male steward rude. I got the impression that junior staff followed his lead, were more interested in their own needs and socialising in the back of the aircraft than customer comfort. I am a frequent traveller, rated Air New Zealand highly in the past but this Airline is losing its edge.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  15 April 2013 by C Daley    (New Zealand)

SFO-AKL. Given I flew to the USA from Australia on a different carrier in the same class (and cheaper fare), the contrast in quality of flight was unbelievable. The issue is more an inferior product than the cabin crew who are generally the best. Compared to the flight over, on AirNZ I had to ask for headsets, as none were provided, I had to ask for an evening meal as the crew walked right past without offering me and my neighbour one, and the choice of mains was very limited. No eye shades of ear plugs provided for a night flight, no hot towel provided in the morning. Choice of snacks throughout was limited to two options. In 3 weeks time I fly to London, Business Class. This time I've opted for another carrier!

Air New Zealand Customer review :  12 April 2013 by A Huggett    (Australia)

Auckland - Niue Island - Auckland on A320. Comfortable seats, very good IFE, friendly and efficient crew. What a shame Air NZ has adopted the low-cost carrier approach of selling a seat, seat & bag, seat, bag & food option on short-haul international flights. Nevertheless, the option to order snacks and drinks via the IFE system is good and the prices were reasonable. If Air NZ remained a genuinely full-service airline I would have had difficulty finding any other fault.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  3 April 2013 by B Sprague    (USA)

I flew non stop from LAX to London. Check in was easy. Once on the plane my economy seats, they were comfortable. Flight attendants were friendly and helpful. The food was good and much better than I expected. Everyone had their own TV and you could watch about 20 tv shows and each show had about 20 episodes to choose from. Plus there were several movies to choose from which there was no extra charge. Two weeks later the flight back was just as nice. I would fly them again in the future.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  2 April 2013 by Nancy Byers    (USA)

LAX to Auckland and back. Staff on flight were very professional and organized. They helped make my bed for me, then put it away in the morning. The seat was like sitting in a recliner. With a bad back I was able to stretch out fully and rest. Being able to lie down and sleep made the flight quite comfortable too. The TV screen came out of the pocket and was easily movable. The eating table fit nicely under the TV so I was able to eat and watch a program. I enjoyed the video of the departure routine instead of having the flight crew do their usual departure routine. Great food, great comfortable seats and superior flight attendants in both directions.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  25 March 2013 by Susan Sumner    (USA)

Business class from LAX to AKL, but actually started our trip in RSW. We checked our bags on our flight from RSW on AA all the way through and were told by both AA and AZ (in LA) that we would be able to check our bags all the way through on the way back, even though the tickets were not connected. Upon checking in on our return, they refused to check our bags past LAX, we had 5 suitcases and at LAX that requires a change of terminal. This caused us to miss our flights and required an overnight in LA. Had we been told the real deal we would have connected the tickets - they were unhelpful and rude. But, the in air service was as good as it gets.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  25 March 2013 by M Lipponen    (Finland)

Two flights: NZ124 MEL-AKL and later NZ8 AKL-SFO. Both planes was 777 and seats one of the most comfortable in business class. I have read some reviews that passengers have some negative feelings towards senior staff. I must say they were the most experienced and nicest cabin crews I have noticed during my flights.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  22 March 2013 by Kirk Cowen    (Canada)

We flew 777-200 economy from Vancouver to Auckland. The seats were very uncomfortable for such a long flight and the arm rests wouldn't retract past a 45* angle! So every time the lady beside me tried to go to the loo, it was an ordeal for her to struggle her way past the arm rests. Definitely a safety hazard for those not on the aisle.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  19 March 2013 by R Painter    (UK)

Flight from Auckland to Melbourne and upgraded to business class. We experienced very poor service with no meal choice and having to ask for drinks. Cabin was only half full so the staff had plenty of time but when we complained about the service we were told they have to look after their regular customers first! On our return to the UK we then complained to their customer services department and it took 6 weeks to get a response which failed to deal with the issues raised. We will never fly Air New Zealand again.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  15 March 2013 by G Kemp    (Australia)

Flew PER-AKL return economy class. I am 6'3 tall as were the gents behind and in front of me. There was no leg room and when the seat in front was reclined the TV screen was so close I was unable to focus on it. Changed to a Bulkhead seat for return flight and had some leg room and a very comfortable flight. Food was excellent as were service, safety briefings and inflight entertainment.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  6 March 2013 by U Anthony    (Australia)

Auckland-Sydney on 777-200 Business Premier. I was apprehensive at first as I have recently had some really average flights with Air New Zealand. This flight was excellent with excellent service from the crew. Priority boarding and greeted by name to cabin. Food good with great selection of high quality NZ wines. Their 777-200s are starting to show signs of wear and tear, IFE was not user friendly to operate but had a good selection of entertainment. I have found service standards very hit and miss with my last few flights; I wish all were like this. This short trip across the Tasman was faultless and great value for money.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  5 March 2013 by Simon Channon    (UK)

First time on the airline but was impressed. It was only a short hop from Auckland to Wellington, but the seating was spacious and comfortable, a snack was served and we were spot on schedule.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  5 March 2013 by R Young    (Australia)

Excellent flight with excellent service from the largely Shanghai based crew PVG-AKL in Business Premier. Well paced to individual needs and genuine level of care. Food good, wine very good. IFE on older 777-200 is unresponsive but choice was good. Bed very comfortable, did not have second meal but greeted with coffee on preparation of landing as waking up. Overall an excellent flight and fare was cheap.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  4 March 2013 by D Snyder    (USA)

When we boarded Boeing 777-300 on February 26 from Auckland to LAX, the business class cabin and front economy section temperature felt normal but the second (back) economy class section was hot (more than 29C). Some passengers complained to the flight attendants who said the temperature would decline after takeoff. Once in the cruise the temperature did not decline in the section we were in (back economy). At no time during the flight did the temperature decline - this a 12+ hour flight. The problem was known before the flight left Auckland but it was allowed to leave anyhow. The food that was served was mediocre. The flight attendants were excellent and tried to help those who were made ill by the excessive temperatures. It is not an airline that I will fly again.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  25 February 2013 by S Kumar    (Australia)

MEL-CHC recently, flying Air NZ after 4 years. I was surprised at the change of service standards in the last 4 years. It is no longer a full service airline. Except complimentary tea/coffee and water, one must pay for everything, soft drinks, beer, wine and paltry choice of food. I was flying by their morning flight but there was no breakfast to buy as they carry breakfast only for those who have booked in advance. However the choice of booking a meal is only available to those who book directly an Air NZ ticket. I had booked through their code share partner Virgin Australia, therefore had no option to book a meal.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  25 February 2013 by J Spedding    (Australia)

AKL-BNE in the premium economy cabin on B777 300 series. Seat was excellent. Just hope that Air NZ upgrades the B777 - 200 series with same seats. A 2x2x2 configuration with great space.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  25 February 2013 by A Porter    (UK)

LHR-AKL via HKG. A good flight, Air NZ doesn't offer it's latest product on this route - but that's OK. It's a comfortable enough flight with excellent cabin crew. I hate transiting through LAX, so on my travels to and from AKL I choose to go via Asia. Air NZ is sadly discontinuing this route.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  19 February 2013 by T Cleverly    (New Zealand)

Flight NZ136 leaving Brisbane, 18th Feb 2013 at 11.15am. I have to say that the check in process is appalling. We got there at 8.30am, and it took us over 1 hour to get checked in. We were 2 rows deep when we were at check-in. When we got to the front the queue was 3 lanes deep, and on my calculation would have taken those people at the end of the queue 1.5 hours to be checked in. I cannot understand why an airline like Air New Zealand doesn't have online check in. We also only had hand luggage so don't see the point in doing the whole queuing thing when in other countries they have it more together. Not Brisbane. To top it all off the plane was delayed 55 minutes getting into Auckland. I am sure this is because the staff were so slow at checking everybody in.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  18 February 2013 by Robert Adjemian    (USA)

I've flown Air New Zealand 3 times. For all 3 times the service was great, the food terrific, and I enjoyed the experience. My only complaint is that they reduced the baggage allowance to one suitcase, so I had to bring a second at an additional cost. On my return from Sydney, they made me pay much more for the second bag than I did when I left LA. Others mentioned that food was optional. I last flew in 2012, so that may be a new development. Next time I'll try another airline. The overcharge for the baggage was too much.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  13 February 2013 by Ron Wilson    (Australia)

SYD-WEL. Koru Club Lounge in SYD very good even if dated. Food options good and excellent to unwind. Actual flight was very good. IFE very good. Food good even if portion size small. Full flight for this route and service attentive always. 'Works Deluxe' option unavailable for this flight so opted for 'The Works' instead. Interesting to note that the top tier (presumably *G etc) were given noise cancelling headphones and newspapers but not passengers who opted to pay extra.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  5 February 2013 by L McLean    (New Zealand)

Flight 126 from Auckland to Melbourne on 26th Jan would have been quite ok apart from the general attitude of some of the crew. We were seated in the middle row of 3 seats and there appeared to be no co-ordination of who was serving food and beverages. I was seated in the middle of the row and was served both a meal and drinks but my partner who was seated on the aisle was ignored not once but twice. When we asked about it there was no apology at all and given the impression they couldn't be bothered. The flight was full but that's no excuse for poor attitude to service. Very disappointing experience.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  31 January 2013 by Irene Johnson    (USA)

When I booked our flight I was amazed that I had to pay extra for a seat and that food was only an option on a 10 hour flight from Auckland to LAX. I opted to buy food before boarding the flight. What appalled me was that the only complimentary beverage was water! I understand soft drinks were available but for 3 dollars!

Air New Zealand Customer review :  29 January 2013 by G Warren    (Australia)

Flew for the first time in a long while MEL-SFO via AKL and onward to Washington DC in J. It's obvious that the crew are very accustomed to this flight and they provide very good, unobtrusive service (had to prepare my own bed, but they were there to return it to seating position). The food and wine selections were excellent and without doubt the fully flat bed is one of the best on offer. Slightly lower marks for the oldest 747 in the galaxy and a fairly ordinary home lounge in AKL. If you're a Gold card holder use the United Lounge in SFO on departure as the EVA lounge is small and very crowded when the flight is full (as they were on both legs). ANZ do very well in their niche and I will most definitely use them again. Be nice to get the new Business Premier offering though.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  28 January 2013 by K J Voss    (Australia)

Brisbane - Auckland - Wellington - Auckland - Brisbane. Business Class, excellent service from all crew, looking to fly to Chicago in March will be on Air NZ Business Class.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  28 January 2013 by Carol Flay    (New Zealand)

Flew from Brisbane to Auckland. Didn't look as if they had cleaned the cabin very well, there was litter stuffed under my entertainment screen and beside the screen had some kind of dirty dribble down it.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  28 January 2013 by C Yi    (USA)

LAX-LHR, round-trip. Think I went into the flight with a bit more expectation than the kiwi-based airline could match, but nevertheless, the journey was solid. The Koru Club lounge in Los Angeles provided a nice area to relax before the flight - loved how airy the plane felt. Boarding process could be improved on as it was not at all systematic like it should have been with business, top-tier, and passengers with kids boarding first. They just need to do a better job in having passengers not crowd the aisles come time for boarding. Beside the issue with boarding, I found everything about this carrier to be stellar and pleasant.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  25 January 2013 by Rich Moore    (UK)

London - Auckland. Had to book flight on day of travel (due to family bereavement). Excellent price (only 1,100), great connections, great sales staff, great service. I would fly them as a preference, just a pity they have reduced services, no longer flying this route. Flew back premium economy, worth the little extra on long haul!

Air New Zealand Customer review :  22 January 2013 by E Tang    (Australia)

We have just returned from a trip to the US flying Business Class. I found no fault with the flight attendants, service or the planes. Flight attendants were very friendly and helpful especially when I was taken ill on the outbound flight from Auckland. The in-flight meals and wines were superb. The seats and beds most comfortable. I have read negative reviews for the Eva Lounge in San Francisco and cannot match my experience with the negativity I had read. The lounge was very comfortable, the staff polite and helpful and the food and drinks fresh and tasty. We also had a pleasant experience in the Lounge in Auckland during a four hour stop over. We look forward to our next flight with Air New Zealand.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  22 January 2013 by H Butler    (Australia)

Flew Melbourne-Auckland-LA return on their new 777 in economy. One of the most cramped flights I have ever taken, as the seating was 3-4-3 across. For a 13 hour flight, it soon became very uncomfortable, even for economy. Almost impossible not to be knocked constantly by people or trolleys in the aisle. Food was very good, and cabin crew pleasant but not particularly attentive. Return flight was from SF, codeshare with United to LA, then LA-Auckland-Melbourne. United were horrible on the ground and in the air. Would never fly them again. Food was of a high standard on the return leg, staff were efficient on a very full flight. Cabin very clean and well maintained. A good flight overall marred by very narrow seating, compared to other airlines.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  22 January 2013 by Pamela Ritchie    (Scotland)

We flew from LHR to Hong Kong, then on to Auckland. We flew from Auckland to Los Angeles and then back to LHR. Every flight we were on was fantastic. We flew Premier Economy and we were spoilt from the minute we got on our flight. Going in to Auckland, we were transferring to Wellington but 15 minutes from landing Wellington Airport was closed down due to fog. We were taken back to Auckland and Air New Zealand just could not do enough to help us. We had to stay overnight (hotel was terrific) and they got us the first available flight to Wellington the next day. Would certainly fly with them again. Fantastic airline with fantastic crew.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  18 January 2013 by M Berka    (New Zealand)

On a Narita to Auckland flight, the plane was somewhat aged, with worn out entertainment sets and old small TV screens. Auckland lounge was being rebuilt, and quite poor.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  17 January 2013 by Gina Vann    (Australia)

Premium economy from San Francisco to Auckland in January this year. Cabin crew were disorganised and unprofessional. Overall it was not a great experience and certainly not worth the extra cost travelling premium economy. I have flown premium economy with Air NZ previously (a year ago) when I found food and service to be of a high standard. This does not seem to be the case anymore.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  15 January 2013 by J Gray    (Australia)

NZ175, AKL to PER on 04 Jan 2013. Brilliant flight on the 772. Business cabin was full but Crew were very attentive and Manager came and spoke to me personally for about 20 minutes. So refreshing after flying the outbound flight to NZ on the competition where I felt as though I was an inconvenience. Well worth the extra money, especially for an over 7 hour flight during the day.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  14 January 2013 by M Schuck    (New Zealand)

LHR-AKL, via LAX. NZ001. Our first time with the Spaceseats and they were a vast improvement on regular economy seats. Being able to comfortably tuck our feet up made a huge difference for me and my daughter, and overall, the family slept better than I've ever seen on a long haul flight. Footrest was very useful in getting comfortable sleeping. Loved that the seat ahead couldn't recline into my space. Spaceseats only available on 767-300s though, so be careful when booking. Great entertainment system as usual, including ability to order (free) drinks and snacks from the seat. My tea came on a tray, with cookies. Excellent meal - more like business than economy. Very attentive staff. Would recommend.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  14 January 2013 by R Williams    (Australia)

Brisbane-Auckland-Vancouver on 14/12/12, good service and food. Disappointed we couldn't book Premium Economy all the way through, the airline has an allocation policy for the cross Tasman part, fortunately the manager put us in Premium Economy to Auckland, great new seats. While the upgrade was good it showed how bad the seats were in the next leg, essentially old Economy seats with a bit more leg room. It seems bizarre to have the good seats on a short leg! On the way back we tried to get the same upgrade for the Tasman leg but met surly staff at the Auckland service desk who weren't interested in being helpful so travelled the last leg Economy. No leg room here for someone who is 195 cms but lots of whacks in the leg from the trolley in the knee on the aisle side. A good flight experience overall impacted by a stupid cross Tasman policy.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  11 January 2013 by C Muir    (New Zealand)

Long haul flight from New Zealand to London return. 3 legs of the flight were in business class. The other leg of the flight was premium economy. Business class - Cabin was clean. Seat / bed very comfortable. On the first leg staff were excellent but sadly this was not the case on the other legs. Staff did not appear to want to help / serve etc - all in a rush. Not rude but not very polite either. Being a vegetarian I found the food was simply terrible. Premium economy - Seats were ok though not very comfortable for such a long flight. Cabin was clean. Staff were very polite and keen to help, friendly.