Air New Zealand Passenger Reviews and Air New Zealand Customer Trip reports

Air New Zealand Customer review :  19 August 2014 by Taylor Sue    (New Zealand)

Flew from Auckland to Nadi in late July on an A320. Flight left on time, and arrived in Nadi earlier due to a tail wind. We had a works ticket which meant we got a meal, which I was very impressed with. Never knew airline food could be so good. Flight attendants as always very friendly. My only complaint is the seating of this plane. It is very squashed, and the seats seemed very uncomfortable. I had difficulty eating my meal as I was in the centre seat, and just really had no room for my arms. The seat was so uncomfortable that I had a slight back ache in my lower back. A terrible plane really. Would avoid a A320 in the future if I could.

Flying home from Nadi to Auckland, with a connecting flight to Kerikeri, as we live in the Far North. On arrival at Nadi Airport we were told the plane had been upgraded from a 777 to a 747, which was the first clue to a problem, as that is a much larger plane. Boarding time was 1.30pm, and that came with the announcement to board, so we waited at the appropriate gate, and then everyone disappeared, and then the announcement that there was going to be a delay. An hour delay as it turned out. Not sure why we were not told earlier about this as someone would have known, but we weren't. At that time we knew we would miss our connecting flight, which was the last one for that day. The steward on the plane came round to people with connecting flights to try to help us, and he said that we should make it no problems, and if not they could put us on a flight to Whangarei, not sure how as there were none to Whangarei that day, and there was no way of making that last flight as by the time you have collected your baggage (we were waiting for bags at precisely the time our connecting flight took off), and got through customs, there was no chance. So we were put up for the night and booked on a flight the next day to Kerikeri, but when we got to the airport the next day someone had decided to take us off that flight! The flight itself was good, food was good, although the drinks cart was way behind the food arriving. Staff were pleasant, except for the false information, and this plane had plenty of room. Air New Zealand is usually good to fly with, and yes things can go wrong. But lack of communication and competence of some staff, really made for a terrible end to a great holiday. I would say I would never fly them again, but we don't have many choices in New Zealand and they are really the lesser of the other evils!

Air New Zealand Customer review :  14 August 2014 by M Eggleton    (UK)

MEL-WLG. Flight left on time and was 20 minutes shorter than planned. Seats were great and I had plenty of leg room (I am 6'5"), I had an exit seat thinking there would be more but they were all the same on the A320. I was disappointed that I was not given a meal after paying for a full fare ticket, and therefore had to purchase snacks (most of which had sold out already which is highly frustrating). Inflight entertainment was also not included, this was $10 per movie which I thought was extremely overpriced! Luckily I put some things on my phone to watch. Some staff were friendly, some not so. Free water/tea/coffee - but you get that on any airline. Overall happy but there could be improvements.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  12 August 2014 by K Lee    (Australia)

Recently had to be diverted from Queenstown to Christchurch due to extremely high winds trying to land in Queenstown. Once in Christchurch Air New Zealand staff were excellent, they arranged and paid for accommodation, the shuttle to get to the hotel and breakfast the following morning. They then notified us at our hotels about our flight that had been arranged the following day and then collected us all by shuttle to get us back to the airport on time. We had a smooth flight into Queenstown the following day. The situation was handled extremely well.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  12 August 2014 by Earl Geoffrey    (New Zealand)

I flew HKG to AKL with Air NZ. Having flown Cathay Pacific on three long haul sectors I was looking forward to the flight. I was so disappointed and astounded how bad their business class product has become. Both the food and wine were not up to standard. The Airshow system was not working and the entertainment choices were very poor. The seats are not lie flat until you complete something akin to a military exercise to set up a bed with a mattress. Cost cutting measures are so evident as even the bread rolls look smaller and the hot face towels given to you look like they have been cut in half. The four flight stewards did their best but who on earth decided to dress them in tight waist coats and aprons? Other airlines I have flown provide a far better level of service at a lower fare and I will not be flying Air New Zealand again on their long haul sectors as I do not think they look after their business class passengers like other airlines. Their tenure as a 4 star airline must be looking very shaky indeed.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  6 August 2014 by C Fonseca    (United Arab Emirates)

We flew round trip AKL to PPT. Our trip started with a 2 hour delay, which was poorly communicated. They claimed it was due to a "seat" which needed to be repaired. This delay caused us a lot of trouble and extra cost, as we missed our connection that night as well as first nights accommodation on an island resort - not cheap. The flight was uncomfortable at 5+ hours on an old 767 which was unclean. The guide in the seat pocket was full of chewing gum. Furthermore the volume on the safety video was so loud that passengers had to cover their ears. The video in general was also excessively long, overly animated and ridiculous. Our second flight with ANZ, we were already completely put off by this video and found it annoying. The crew served water from an unclean looking plastic pitcher. Never seen this on an airline before, not even on a low cost carrier. Furthermore, the audacity that ANZ charges a hefty membership "fee" to join their frequent flyer programme - first time hearing about this.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  3 August 2014 by Brian Kindlon    (USA)

NZ-2, LAX-LHR. Worst airline selection I have ever made. I should have gone with either Virgin Atlantic or BA. The economy section in the 777-300 is a complete joke. I know Air New Zealand is making extra money by having 10 seats across in economy but at what cost? I will never fly with them again and I am sure many other passengers who experience this economy section feel the same way. I really felt like a sardine packed in a can in that airplane. To make matters worse, there was no individual airflow control. The plane was hot the whole flight to the point you were sweating in your seat. The only positive was that I had a friendly flight attendant who gave me free drinks towards the end of the flight because she felt so bad for the people on the plane.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  1 August 2014 by S Derecourt    (New Zealand)

Flew AKL-LAX-LHR and back, 30th June out, 14th July return. I had a seat each for me and my two kids, both under 5. All of the crews were fantastic with them, going out of their way to assure our comfort. The crew as we approached LHR were exceptional and took the initiative of laying on a "Meet & Assist" at LHR which was such a help and a great touch. Check in at AKL was brilliant, abysmal at LHR, but that was the only down point of an otherwise excellent trip. Kids loved the most of the food, though spaghetti is a tough one to feed a toddler on a plane! Didn't get a chance to test the TV, I grabbed sleep when the kids slept!

Air New Zealand Customer review :  1 August 2014 by A Boone    (UK)

Heathrow to LA in Economy. This was my first and last time flying with Air NZ. Firstly the best aspect was the crew friendliness. They seem good fun and genuinely happy to help. The ones I chatted to really hate the 777-300 aircraft. One said it wasn't designed to 4 seats in middle row and she seemed genuinely sorry for the customers squashed in a middle seat. A result of having an extra seat in the middle has meant that the aisles have got narrower. I really felt sorry for the crew having to walk sideways a lot of the time. I was in an aisle seat and was constantly being bashed by the crew and passengers waking past. Clearly they are trying to squeeze out as much profit at the expense of customer comfort. I paid extra for a "preferred seat" and apparently this includes a row behind a leg room seat. Not sure why I had to pay extra for this seat that was no different to any other regular row. When the guy in front put his seat back I felt so claustrophobic and could hardly see my TV screen. The food was very average and I waited over 80 minutes to be served an alcoholic drink with my meal. Being offered a glass of tap water just after take-off is very poor and not what you'd expect from a very expensive "4 star airline." The choice of films is very limited and very few new titles. I'll most certainly be flying on BA A380 next time I go to LA.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  1 August 2014 by R Bain    (New Zealand)

NZ to Osaka via Narita. Multiple delays before take off resulting in missed connection and an overnight stay in Tokyo. Very poor communication from staff and despite promises made about contacting my waiting family - none made! They made no effort to get me on earliest flight possible - just you will take what you are given mentality. Due to late arrival and early departure - no evening meal or breakfast was available (despite vouchers). Then had to bus transfer across to Haneda - then discover I could have caught an earlier flight. Air New Zealand is a very poor airline, trading on what used to be a good reputation.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  1 August 2014 by Trevor Thomson    (Australia)

My wife and I were scheduled to fly on Air New Zealand NZ7 (San Francisco to Auckland) on 29 March. This flight was delayed due to mechanical problems and then cancelled. We were offered hotel accommodation an hours drive from the airport, but at 12.30am the bus transport to the hotel had not arrived and was in some doubt. I then checked with ground staff and was told that we could obtain compensation for an SFO airport hotel, by claiming online. We then checked back into the airport Hyatt Regency where we had been staying and were in bed by 1.20am, unlike those who waited for the bus They got to bed after 3.00am. (They had to be up for the 5am bus back to the airport). When we finally arrived home I contacted Air New Zealand online and was advised to contact their customer relations team. This I did, my requests for information go unanswered. The aircraft for the cancelled flight was an ancient 747. The aircraft that replaced it was also an ancient 747. The replacement aircraft had cabin lights that flickered along with flickering on the video screen. We were told the first aircraft had an electrical problem that prevented it from starting.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  30 July 2014 by Matthew Carr-Gomm    (New Zealand)

Flew an old, ropey 737-300 from AKL-WLG domestic route within New Zealand. Firstly, crew are unfriendly and rude. Seats lumpy and very uncomfortable. Plane was dirty - clearly had not been cleaned for weeks, with finger marks smeared across the window, litter from previous flight - sweet wrappers strewn across the floor, fold out tray sticky with dried up coffee spilled. looking down on the floor, clearly not vacuumed for weeks, with gooey grime around the seat fixings. Seat covers peeling off. Was offered a thimble of water, and a stale cookie as food. The overhead screens are so out of focus that you have to strain your eyes to watch it. All of this for premium prices. Basically Air New Zealand operate a low-cost budget operation at sky high prices and compared with the other options I'd say avoid Air New Zealand domestic if you can help it.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  28 July 2014 by V Schmidt    (New Zealand)

Flew from Los Angeles to Auckland on the new 777-300 in the space seats. Great mood lighting in the cabin. We were in row 28JK. The seats are comfortable and stylish and face towards the windows for a great view on take off and landing. The flight crew were smiles all around, offered us a drink before take off, so had a glass of bubbly. Supper was served on this late flight and we both had creamy crab and smoked salmon salad, braised lamb with wholegrain mustard mash and veggies, delicious. Settled down to watch a movie, good selection. With pillow and blanket made myself comfortable in our seats, instructions for the seat are in the seat pocket. Great flight home with great service.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  21 July 2014 by Peter Hendry    (New Zealand)

I fly on a fairly regular basis, over the last 2 or 3 years I would fly from Auckland to Singapore every couple of months on Jetstar or Qantas, and I fly economy. This last 3 months I have flown from Auckland to Los Angeles, last month on Virgin, this week on Air New Zealand. The problem flying Virgin is that I need a stop in Sydney, having said that, the fare is a good price, the service between Auckland and Sydney, and Sydney and Los Angeles was good - very good. On the return I had to fly Virgin to Sydney but an Air New Zealand code share between Sydney and AKL, that was the down part of the journey. Narrow seats, tatty aircraft, pay for a meal, pay for everything - the complete opposite of the similar virgin segment on the outward journey. I figured it was because it was a transtasman that Air New Zealand treat passengers like cattle and nickel and dime them, but this last trip I decided to go Auckland-LAX direct. Air New Zealand charge $300 more than their rivals, you get 1 bag, unlike Virgin where you get 2, the plane is dirty, the cabin crew are ok, a couple were a little off hand to the person in the seat beside me, no blanket, no eye cover, no little pack of toothpaste. I guess for me it was just a disappointment, I thought they were better and I remember a few years ago they were, now they are just a budget airline that charge a premium price based on a past reputation. I will continue to use them for speed, but if I have time, I would choose Virgin Australia or Qantas.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  21 July 2014 by Mark Do    (New Zealand)

AKL to NRT B777-200 economy class. My flight was delayed 30 minutes, but still arrived in Tokyo on time. The seat was quite cramped and uncomfortable even though I'm not a tall person. Meals were average and not enough for me. One plus point is that the ice cream was tasty. The entertaining programmes were very limited and picture quality of my TV screen was not good. Flight attendants were friendly enough. Honestly I expected more from a 4-star airline like Air New Zealand.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  16 July 2014 by Simon Gilmore    (New Zealand)

My wife and I flew to Tonga from Auckland on 5th July 2014 and returned 12th July 2014 The aircraft used on both sectors was a 19 year old 767-300. The aircraft was in pretty good order considering it's age. Departure pretty well on time. Friendly staff. Idiotic Bear Grylls safety video. Reasonable selection of audio video. Food awful vegetable frittata Air NZ has been serving for some time now. Return food much better - beef salad or butter chicken. One water round on each flight. "Kia Ora" Inflight magazine no longer in every seat back. No more than twelve copies available from magazine rack at forward cabin. Toilets clean and tidy. This is the only airline surfacing Tonga from Auckland. Good flights both ways.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  16 July 2014 by B Kris    (USA)

NZ 2, Auckland to LAX on July 13th 2014. The cabin temperature was so hot! I mentioned about the temperature several times to flight attendants. It seemed as if they agreed. I have never been on a flight where the temperature was so hot. The seats were so close together. The girl next to me was practically on my lap and she was leaning on me the whole time. For whatever reason, some of the NZ planes have seats that are too high that my feet don't touch the floor. Yes, I'm short! You would think that seat-proximity wouldn't matter, but it still does. There's nowhere to put my feet except to have them dangle. On a 12 hour flight with my feet dangling, my knees were killing me! There were no footrests or anything. I put my handbag on the floor so I could put my feet up on that, but it was still uncomfortable. I didn't quite understand why the Trans-Tasman flight from Melbourne to Auckland had reclining foot rests, but a 12 hour flight wouldn't? Furthermore, the seats are so close that when the person in front of me is reclined, if I'm not reclined, I can barely move. Unless something changes drastically by the next time we go back to New Zealand/Australia, I will not be taking Air New Zealand. On a side note, the staff try to be friendly and helpful, but that is their job. I can't really say that they are any more or less friendly/helpful that staff on other airlines. The food was decent. The wine is always nice. Entertainment needs to be updated. On a good note, the flight from Melbourne to Auckland on July 11th was fantastic. But, the other 3 flights I've had with Air NZ, including this one were terrible.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  9 July 2014 by R Connett    (New Zealand)

I flew AKL-LAX on 24 June NZ2, returning LAX-AKL on 1 July on NZ5. I was in Business Class both ways. The service and attention to detail is exemplary. Even in the middle of the night, pushing the call button got immediate attention. The food both ways was exceptional and it was always nice to be asked if I would like some more, or is their anything else I can get you. In these days of cost cutting in service and staff on tight contracts, Air NZ staff really do go that extra mile and really do look like they enjoy their jobs. The flights arrived early both ends which is always welcomed, the pilots very rarely get the recognition they deserve in these surveys.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  9 July 2014 by Charles Baran    (USA)

My family and I flew from Los Angeles to Rarotonga and return June 15, June 28 Business class. The plane is an older 767-300. The only two possible things I could mention are (1) the seats are not very wide, although adequate. (2) the inflight entertainment is somewhat dated. Thing is, entertaining us is not what a good airline is all about; getting from point "A" to point "B" in a timely, safe manner is, and ANZ is a good airline.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  7 July 2014 by Romeo Liebig    (New Zealand)

I recently took Air New Zealand to Sydney as part of a ticket with connections to a Vietnam Airlines Flight. Arrived early at Auckland Airport checked in with a customer service staff as their cost cutting exercise with no check in counters means that the check in kiosk does not work for when taking connecting flights and having to check your bags through. Arrived early at the gate ready to board at 6.15 am only to board 10 minutes prior to departure meaning we departed late as they have just one staff in charge of the boarding process. When on board felt like a sardine especially with the larger man in front of me with the seat bending back badly. Aircraft certainly ageing and seat very hard and uncomfortable. Food and drink okay but very basic. Entertainment outdated as well was watching something had already seen before. The Air New Zealand staff very casual and not really smiling at all and don't really care about the passengers as long as they are being paid. Can not recommend taking Air New Zealand again.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  7 July 2014 by F Donald Eichman    (USA)

Horrible to say the least! My first experience was not one to remember. San Francisco to Auckland on an old plane with ripped seats, flight 7, seat A40. The entertainment system was broken in my seat, nice job for 12 hours watching nothing with no seats to move to. Once I arrived to Auckland found out not only was my first trip cancelled to Palmerston North but they cancelled it again for the second time, each time having to retrieve my luggage and go through the process all over. Then to add insult to the situation they put me on my third flight, now 6 hours after when I was supposed to fly and there was a flight which left in between this time frame and I wasn't put on that because it was "oversold". My advice don't fly them.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  7 July 2014 by Elton Rana    (UAE)

First experience on Air NZ. Was on the 'works" fare and it does work. Great wine and food selection. Staff were pleasant and seemed to be interact with most customers. The only disappointing part was the entertainment choice. The plane was old and had to use the remote to change channels. Overall a good flight from SYD-AKL and back.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  2 July 2014 by Richard Ogden    (UK)

LHR to LAX and back a week later in Premium Economy. It was really excellent on all fronts: friendly and efficient service from check-in to arrival. The food was plentiful and very nice quality: a salad starter with fresh bread and NZ olive oil, a warm meal; dessert, cheese and biscuits, and good NZ wines. Breakfast and afternoon tea were also excellent, with e.g. warm scones, clotted cream and jam. The food was better than BA's Club World. The seat provides lots of space, and the entertainment system is stocked with films I missed at the cinema, so enjoyed catching up with on the plane. The seat doesn't recline that much, but there's a bean bag, a big pillow and a nice, thoughtful amenity kit. There were other fun touches too, like a photo of shelves of books with jokey titles on the walls in the toilet. On the way out, the luggage belts at Heathrow were broken, so most bags did not make it to the plane. Air NZ handled this efficiently on the plane, and with minimal fuss in LA we were handed US$100 in cash. This is my first time with Air NZ, it's such a shame they don't fly to more places from Britain!

Air New Zealand Customer review :  1 July 2014 by M O'Loughlin    (New Zealand)

We flew Air New Zealand on our way to New York via Los Angeles return. We were impressed with the service, friendliness and professionalism of the crew on all flights. They were immaculately presented and extremely helpful. This airline is in a league of its own.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  26 June 2014 by D Kelly    (Australia)

Flying today with Air NZ, MEL-AKL, and I cant even buy food on the plane! Been told I need a credit card to buy anything, and since I don't have one I guess I've got to sort my own food. Ill also add the rude manner I was told this by staff at the gate, just a very unapologetic "that's the way it is" tone.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  24 June 2014 by P Brander    (Australia)

BNE-CHC-BNE. What a difference a crew makes. BNE-CHC (NZ805) flight on 16 June was very empty but crew not very interested in working. As a VA Platinum member, not offered the usual services (headphones, express immigration, etc) that normally would be offered. Seemed a challenge to even get a glass of wine (I was on a 'works' fare). While the in-flight manager was busy spending all of his time with 2 passengers, not much care shown to the rest of us on the airplane. Return CHC-BNE (NZ804) on 20 June was a different story. Fantastic crew (2 in-flight managers so perhaps a check or training flight). Service was great, attentive and friendly. Food good and drinks offered plentiful. This crew made all the difference in turning a bad experience outbound into a great experience inbound.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  24 June 2014 by K Slattery    (New Zealand)

NZ80, HKG to AKL. 22nd June 2014. Business Class. B777-200ER. The aircraft was old and shabby. The herringbone seat configuration facing away from the window is like a coffin. The seat is narrow and has limited recline when seated normally as the lay flat bed requires the seat back to be folded fully forward. The bed is reasonably comfortable with the mattress pad. The welcome aboard drink was Sparking Wine, not Champagne and served by one of the 3 Grumpy Old Men who were attending the forward cabin. Food was just edible and the choices very poor. No wines listed and when asked was told Pinot Noir or Cab Sav. No hangars suitable to hang trousers for those who change into travelling clothes. The AV is something out of the ark. A screen that has a resolution such that everything looks as if the lens is smeared with Vaseline. A controller whereby when pressed takes a few seconds to respond and sound and screen hesitation on both movie and audio channels (seat 3A if anyone from AirNZ read these posts). Breakfast coffee was vile but the hot bacon roll was a pleasant change. I hope the B777-300 is a step up as I have a west coast return trip soon. If not I shall stick to SQ and EK for all my long haul trips. There are better alternatives and the penny pinching shows, maybe this route doesn't justify anything better but even CX with the dated A340 aircraft on this route is a much better experience.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  21 June 2014 by A Paterson    (Australia)

My husband and I recently few from Sydney to Apia via Auckland. We checked in online and printed our own boarding passes to save time and lock our seats in. When we arrived at the airport we had to go through the whole process again making our online check in pointless. The first leg of the journey was on a reasonably comfortable Boeing 777-200, but the second leg was on an Airbus A320 which was one of the most cramped airline seats I've ever sat on. Both planes felt old and tired. The meal we had was adequate but nothing more. I was quite disappointed overall, but one thing I'll say is the stay were very friendly and helpful.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  18 June 2014 by Siebers Robert    (New Zealand)

Flew Auckland to Narita in premium economy in a 777-200. Seat was fine, helped by the fact that seat next to me was unoccupied. Service from staff was very good, friendly and efficient. You don't appear to get bubbly/juice before departure anymore and the choice of wines was same as in economy. Meals were good and tasty. Massive choice of movies.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  17 June 2014 by Annette Nyst    (Australia)

There is not often that you are sorry to get of the plane but I was after my trip with Air New Zealand. My husband and I flew Air New Zealand to the United States in May. Having flown various airlines before Air New Zealand is right up there with the best. The service given by their more mature staff was exceptional compared with other airlines who use a younger cabin crew. The only reason I rate the satisfaction of my trip 9/10 is that they code share with United who must come bottom of my list (the trip with United between New York and Los Angeles the worst I have ever had). If you fly Air New Zealand to the United States organize your onward trip yourself so that you can avoid flying United.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  14 June 2014 by H Kohl    (Australia)

SYD to AKL in Business. The check in is like buying a Hamburger, just unfriendly. You can see cost cutting here. The lounge in Sydney is out dated and is in need of urgent renovation. The food service is very basic. Onboard extreme cost cutting has taken effect. Considering the amount paid and the service received, I would say that there a very little features and benefits. Would not travel NZ again, than for the same price I will get much superior service by the opposition.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  11 June 2014 by Will White    (USA)

I flew from Auckland to LAX recently in business class. From the time I sat down, it took 55 minutes to be served a drink while it took my wife an hour and ten minutes to receive her first beverage. The service during the flight was adequate but possible I expected more considering the price of the ticket. I would not recommend Air New Zealand but I would also not discourage one from flying this airline.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  9 June 2014 by R Dobson    (Australia)

Just returned Auckland to Adelaide on 9/6/14. The flight departed almost on time, the cabin crew were all friendly and happy. Seat quality was good, we had exit row seats. Couldn't complain about the food or service. Inflight entertainment was better than expected. We were happy with all aspects of the flight, we will definitely fly with this airline again, Well done.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  9 June 2014 by Amanda Brown    (Australia)

Christchurch to Melbourne on another A320. No priority boarding out of Christchurch. Again, no leg room, hard bum numbing seat on a full flight. Landed early in Melbourne but had to wait for a gate but not a pesky A380 to vacate our allotted gate.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  6 June 2014 by Amanda Brown    (Australia)

Melbourne to Christchurch on an A320. Smiles all round on boarding. Seats were hard with little leg room. Just ok for the length of our flight but my bum was getting numb. Sale fare for seat only so was fine for our long weekend in the land of the long white cloud.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  5 June 2014 by R Connett    (New Zealand)

My business partner and I flew Auckland/Queenstown on 20 May, returning the next day. I don't normally comment on domestic flights, but these two flights need recognition for the stellar service provided by Air New Zealand. It was two newish A320's either way and manned by some of the best staff I have encountered. We were Star Alliance Gold so had the options of seats in Row 1. Water, tea/coffee and snacks were provided and a second cup was available for anyone that wanted. Well done Air New Zealand!

Air New Zealand Customer review :  3 June 2014 by T McCaw    (Australia)

San Francisco to Melbourne and may I say never again. I checked in at Seattle (flew with United from SEA-SFO) so my baggage was fine. Arrived at SFO to find out that my aircraft was delayed 6 hours, and were never told why. Got on board to have the crew be rude. I had a small child sitting next to me constantly reaching over my tray table and stealing my food from me, neither the father or cabin crew did something even when asked. Once arriving in Auckland I had a transit time of what was now reduced to 5 hours, originally being 12. When returning to the airport, there was a mistake in short-checking my bag, as the system still showed my bag checked through to Melbourne. After having this all happen I then had my carry-on luggage weighed. I had taken items out in AKL. I was then found that my bag was 0.5kg over and that it couldn't travel with me even if it was checked. After a lot of negotiation I was finally allowed to take my bag as carry on. Onboard my trans-tasman flight it was quite pleasant however not as great as other airlines I have experienced. I don't recommend Air NZ to anybody.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  2 June 2014 by Colleen Johnson    (New Zealand)

Flew to LAX from Auckland on May 13 2014 and from San Francisco to Auckland on May 27. The return flight had a horrible selection of movies and TV. The food on both flights was abysmal. There is nothing I can really order to eat that suits my dietary requirements so I chose vegetarian as a last resort. Horrible choice. Will have to bring my own food in future, but shouldn't I get a discount for not being provided with a meal?

Air New Zealand Customer review :  2 June 2014 by Kathleen Stark    (New Zealand)

My first two flights on NZ Air, within the last two years, were lovely. The food was good, the seats decent. I was surprised and impressed that we were given little packs with toothpicks, toothpaste, etc, and there were numerous new movies to watch. This trip, from New Zealand to LA was quite different. The chicken was grisly and tough, actually inedible, there was no little pack to charm us, and the seats were tighter. I'm a slim person and felt claustrophobic. I'm looking for a different airline for my next flights from New Zealand. I'd rather pay a little more and enjoy the long flight.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  30 May 2014 by R DuPreez    (Australia)

Sydney to YVR via Auckland on 11th May. Airbus A320, SYD - Auckland a joke, cramped and ridiculous should not be used for a 3.5 hour journey, Auckland to YVR on 777-200ER, different story, plane showing age however was quite comfortable, selected vegetarian option, surprisingly good, did the reverse journey leaving YVR 28th May, again 777-200 ER YVR to Auckland and a much better option 767-300 Auckland to Sydney, service efficient. If 777-200ER seating configuration changes to a 3-4-3 as envisaged, I definitely would not travel on Air New Zealand, management should be forced to endure these cramped seats for 12-14 hours and see way at it feels like.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  26 May 2014 by M Lam    (New Zealand)

AKL-YVR B777-200ER. Flight on time. Crew professional and friendly. Regular water runs for overnight flight. Meals were good. IFE provides a good selection but would have benefited from more new releases. Seats were comfortable and I managed to get some sleep. Aisles were somewhat narrow and I understand that the seat configuration is being changed to 3-4-3. I do wonder how uncomfortable this would make this 12 hour flight.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  26 May 2014 by Richard Brown    (New Zealand)

Napier-Auckland-Napier . Two smooth on time flights with the ATR 72 offering more comfort than many short haul jets. Service friendly and professional. Water/coffee/tea and biscuit offered as is the norm for short haul flights within NZ. Some readers bemoan this, but would you get similar on a bus or train trip of one hour? Air NZ still offers boiled sweets prior to landing, which is a simple but nice touch. Luggage delivered promptly at both ends and check-in efficient too, whether assisted (Napier) or through automated machine (Auckland). Auckland Airport domestic terminal is a little tired and dull, but it still works.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  4 May 2014 by L Sean    (Australia)

Flew from BNE-AKL-LAX on the 777-300 for both legs. Paid extra for the paired seats which Air New Zealand sells as 'Preferred' seats. Sat in 35a through to Auckland which was alright. Good to be towards the front of the plane for disembarking but the seats are quite narrow and cramped. Sat in 57k onto LA which was slightly better. Missed out on preferred meal but only because I was right down the end. Food was the best I've had in a long time. Entertainment was great and the ability to order drinks from your screen is very handy. It also means no bells going off through the flight for service. Flight attendants were pretty average. Not great but not rude. I drank a lot of Sauvignon Blanc which was delicious and from New Zealand. All in all or was an average flight. Don't know how I would have felt in the middle section of 4 seats. It clearly isn't comfortable for such a long flight so I don't understand why more airlines are installing this seating pattern.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  1 May 2014 by F Pearce    (New Zealand)

Flew B777-300 from Brisbane-AKL. Seat, service, food, and were exemplary. Could not fault any point of the service. While I did not get to fully experience the flat-bed that Air New Zealand offers, when I had the seat fully reclined I nearly fell asleep. This is a first. Did not use IFE, although by the looks of things it was modern, with a great selection of movies/TV shows.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  1 May 2014 by F Pearce    (New Zealand)

Flew on a B767-300 Short Haul. The food, drink, and service was substantially better than Economy with Air NZ, which was excellent, as I would rate Air NZ economy service highly. Great selection of modern movies and shows with IFE. The seat, while dated, was sufficiently comfortable for my 6'3 build. However people who have a slightly larger girth may struggle with the seat. Moving past another passenger from the window seat was also a tricky situation. However overall a very pleasant experience, would certainly recommend.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  30 April 2014 by P Campbell    (UK)

My first trip to NZ, what a disappointment. Our economy seats were cramped, indeed claustrophobic as the passengers in front insisted on having their seats fully reclined for the majority of both legs of the journey to Auckland, effectively preventing use of the inflight entertainment system. The cabin temperature was very cool and we were advised by staff that this was ongoing problem with this particular aircraft. The food quality was at best average, comparable to budget airlines servicing Europe. That said the selection of wines offered is very good. The first leg of the return journey was made more bearable by purchasing a Skycouch option, but should one have to do this on an ultra long distance flight? Reluctantly we will have to consider other carriers for our next trip.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  25 April 2014 by David Husband    (Australia)

SYD-RAR, NZ60 with a purchased one up. Being an old 767 seats were comfortable enough, but nothing to write home about. Generally overall disappointing, and have had better seats, food and service in Y+ on 773. There was no amenity pack supplied, and I had to ask for a toothbrush. That said, staff themselves were friendly enough, if not overtly taking the initiative with food and drinks!

NZ745, RAR-AKL then NZ709, AKL-SYD both in Y. Full-ish flights and friendly enough crews. F&B were good as far as they went, but service was slow with an apparent reluctance to offer more than 1 drink with the works. Seats were bog standard Y for 320, but it does seem that seats on all airlines in Y get smaller as I get older! As a use of Airpoints this was good value for money.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  25 April 2014 by Linda Wish    (USA)

Bought the upgrade for the Premium Economy seats on the 300 Series plane from Auckland to LAX and was ill from the heat. Flight attendants shared that these planes continually have issues with heat - and our video screen had messages from the "pilot" apologizing throughout the flight. I walked the length of the plane and found that some areas were okay but my guesstimate of 84+ degrees F in the area I was seated was not the only one getting cooked. I reached overhead for my laptop and one point and discovered that the storage area was significantly hotter than that! Miserable flight.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  24 April 2014 by Craig Willis    (Australia)

MEL-CHC-WLG on A320. Booked and paid for Exit Row seats on the Works and it was fantastic. Seats were ok but extra legroom a real advantage. Water offered after take off and then given a choice of a frittata with bacon and sausages or a healthy fruit breakfast. The flight team were great and had a laugh with the passengers. Movies were also great to watch and the inflight system with movies and map a gem. Arrived in Christchurch on time and went through customs etc. Collected bag and walked to domestic terminal for flight to Wellington. Lounge in Christchurch was great. Excellent choice of food and drinks. Boarded flight to Wellington on an old 737-300 which was in pristine condition. Crew were great on what turned out to be a 25 min flight. Overall a great flight with an excellent team. Just hope they can get rid of the "self" check in arrangements at most airports. Go back to some personalised service.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  23 April 2014 by S Mcguinness    (New Zealand)

NZ9,0 777-200 from Japan to Auckland. Business class. Plane was almost on time departing. Food was dreadful - in the last 18 months the food on AIR NZ has taken a serious nosedive - dinner so poor that I didn't bother with breakfast. Service was the usual indifference. Entertainment system is a joke and the plane is grubby. Only good thing is the lie flat bed - best approach when flying on the 777-200 is to eat at the airport then lie down and sleep the whole flight!

Air New Zealand Customer review :  22 April 2014 by A Chauhan    (Australia)

NZ443, Auckland to Wellington on 18 April 2014. The seating on this flight was comfortable enough, but the connection from an international to a domestic flight at Auckland airport really needs to be improved (though this is obviously not the fault of Air New Zealand). The flight itself however was delayed and no calls were made about the delay until 40 minutes after the scheduled departure time. Better communication is needed.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  14 April 2014 by Petr Polivka    (New Zealand)

I fly Air NZ 8-10 times a year, mostly domestic / trans-tasman flights. On domestic routes, it's a no brainer. Main routes are serviced by almost brand new A320s and the rest by fairly new Q300's and ATR 72's. All crew members (like all kiwis) are very polite and helpful. Only downside is very basic food/beverage service (coffee/tea + water + cookie) on domestic flights. Long haul not so flash compared to eg Singapore Airlines or Emirates, but still decent standard. Heaps of discounted domestic flights if you buy in advance.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  14 April 2014 by Matthew Todd    (Canada)

ANZ18, Rarotonga to LAX flight on 15 Feb, and we spent an extra night on the island because of crew illness. How could a "leading, world-class airline" have a situation where they can't have a pilot or steward on stand-by in case of illness? It was a somewhat chaotic scene at the Raro airport. Lots of passengers waiting for instructions, and not one ANZ staff member for two or more hours! When they finally appeared, the staff were friendly and polite alright, but it took them too long to show up at the airport to help us, and our hotel had already informed us hours earlier that the flight was canceled, so we checked in with ANZ to get the info about what to do, and then checked back in to our old room (a complete waste of an evening), Air New Zealand offered to buy our dinner, at 10pm! We made it home (after missed connections) about two days late.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  11 April 2014 by Ian Scott    (USA)

Business Class LAX to Auckland and return. Food is marginal at best. They served a hamburger! Awful. Staff not very helpful or friendly. Seats are not that good. Lie flat is cramped and overheated and not comfortable. Nothing good to say about this airline. I thought US airlines couldn't hack it internationally. Never again.