Air India Customer Reviews and Air India Passenger Trip Reports

Air India Customer review :  30 December 2013 by R Thantirige    (USA)

SIN-BOM-EWR. Pros: nothing. Cons: Rude cabin staff, no meal selection, uncomfortable and dirty seats, No (or limited) inflight entertainment. SIN-BOM, AI 343: Late departure (nearly 1 hour). Seats were uncomfortable and dirty (some parts falling apart and they even use strings to keep them intact). There were no TV screens for this 8 hr long flight. Cabin crew just ordering and are very rude. There is no meal selection and they just ask whether we want 'Veg' or 'Non-veg' so you have to eat whatever they give you. Once in BOM, I had to get the new boarding pass for BOM-EWR sector. There was a 13 hour transit so I was told that I will get light refreshments and the dinner (they wrote this on boarding pass) but didn't tell me where to get them. So after security check I was roaming in the terminal to find an AI agent but couldn't find. I went to their lounge and showed them the boarding pass and asked where to get their so called refreshments. The person let me in and asked me to use the facility. After sometime another person came in and asked me to show the boarding pass and invitation card. Then I showed my boarding pass and he said the lounge is only for invited passengers so I should leave in 5 mins, and he said the previous person let me in by mistake. So I went out and was waiting for freaking 13 hours in busy, crowded Mumbai airport. Its a horrible experience. BOM-EWR, AI 191. This was a new flight with in-flight entertainment (with poor movie/TV selection though) but the same rude behavior from cabin crew. Again no meal selection. Overall I believe the service is below average so I don't recommend AI to anyone.

Air India Customer review :  30 December 2013 by Gonsalves Gavin    (India)

I travelled from Mangalore to Mumbai on 28 December. Flight was delayed 20 minutes, and we were promptly alerted of this at Mangalore airport. Check in was smooth and I received the seating of my choice. Boarding was chaotic. One Air India ground staff member announced that boarding would commence for rows 1 to 15, while another commented that boarding would start from rows 16 onwards. This obviously resulted in a confused queue of people. The welcome on board was pretty average, however the seating (comfort and leg space) was just fantastic, a luxury I had not experienced with other airlines lately. Only tea/coffee, cookies and a bottle of water was served, which is really appalling given that this is a 12:50 pm departure. Thankfully I had carried a sandwich with me as I had read about the cookies in another review. Flight was delayed 30 minutes overall, however there was no announcement made by the captain, nor any other announcements about arrival in Mumbai, the weather, etc. Overall, disappointing, except for the comfortable seating.

Air India Customer review :  29 December 2013 by T James    (UK)

AI 112, LHR-DEL. Check-in fast at a very crowded and pushy LHR Terminal 4 pre-Christmas. Plane left punctually. Crew polite but a little surly but put that down to just the 'Indian way'. Comfy, big seats in Executive Class, and 100% flat beds in 777-300. The cabin was quiet throughout the duration of the flight. Magazines only offered to first cabin? Crew could not work out my gluten free meal and kept having to replace my tray after serving. Cabin was too hot during shut-eye time, and no waters handed out before sleeping. Amenities kit just socks and an eye mask, however asked crew for toothbrush/paste which they supplied immediately and then left a pile in the toilets. IFE a bit of a joke…- terrible, amateur looking interface which is a nightmare to use. Moving maps didn't work until the final half and hour of the flight,…handy! This was a connecting flight via Delhi to Bangkok - see following review.

Air India Customer review :  29 December 2013 by T James    (UK)

AI 332, DEL-BKK. AI lounge in DEL is fine, but just don't expect too much non-Indian cuisine. Terrible wifi with a very confusing sign-up process. Showers working, clean and enjoyed after connecting flight from LHR. Final call made to rush passengers on board, only to be met with a massive queue in the various walkway bridges, so not the best first impression. A321 business class seats were good and the way business class seats should be - real business class seats, and not 'adapted economy' ones. Cabin crew definitely surly, however once smiled at they immediately smile back. Drinks service was fine, however only given a packet of French-fry style crisps seemed a bit amateur for executive class. My pre-ordered gluten-free meal left the crew somewhat perplexed, and I was met with the response "veg or no veg" as an option. 'No veg' was nice enough, however the chicken main contained only 3 small chunks of meat. The IFE was not on demand, and the cabin was very hot and stuffy throughout most of the flight. We arrived in BKK early, however there wasn't a single landing card to be found on the plane which quickly cancelled out any early arrival gains!

Air India Customer review :  23 December 2013 by S Prasad    (Australia)

SYD-DEL-SYD. Flight was delayed by 6 hours. Staff very casual in attitude and lacked professionalism. Staff behaviour not the same with all passengers. Food quality and quantity was below average. Saw the drinks trolley just once in a 13 hour flight. No refill of drinks was offered. However, plane was modern, very nice and comfortable. Seats were comfortable and ample leg space. Inflight entertainment was nice. Don't mind giving them another try and then will decide whether or not to travel AI. I hadn't set very high expectations. There is a lot of room for improvement. Crew need to be trained to be more polite, courteous and professional.

Air India Customer review :  23 December 2013 by Vikramaditya Singh    (UK)

Chicago to Delhi in First class. The ticket cost almost 2x business class in a European carrier but I chose it due to the direct nature of the non-stop flight. What a mistake. The first class product is very poor, seats uncomfortable and felt like sitting on a metal rod. Cabin service was pathetic with a poor choice of drinks and food. And most shocking is Air India has stopped giving toiletry bags. If you are going to fork out the money, do it on Qatar or British Airways.

Air India Customer review :  19 December 2013 by Bhattacharya Mallicka    (UK)

Was travelling to Kolkata on AI 020 on 15 December 2013. The flight was 11 hours late owing to partly absence of aircraft and no alternate arrangements in such exigency and partly the unavailability of crew. The 250 odd passengers didn't have a clue on the reason for delay. No AI officer bothered to put in an appearance to explain what the problem was, the handling staff were equally in the dark. Though meals were supplied no formal announcements were made to inform the passengers of this and one learnt mainly by word of mouth from other passengers who had come by the information accidentally. We arrived Kolkata at 2.30 am and many had to spend the night at the airport.

Air India Customer review :  17 December 2013 by Simranjit Kaur    (Singapore)

Singapore to Amritsar, with a transit in Delhi. The domestic flights were much better than the international flights, in every aspect. Upon check-in, the officials insisted that our luggage had to be checked out in Delhi and checked in again, when the final destination for the luggage was clearly stated as Amritsar on the luggage tags. The same happened on our way back. My 83-year-old grandmother was with me and she has difficulty walking, so we requested for a wheelchair for her. Due to this, we were the last to get off so that my grandmother had more time and could get off slowly. When we landed in Delhi from Singapore for transit, there was a delay in bringing in the wheelchair and the female flight attendant, who was apparently in a hurry to get off, told my grandmother to walk out and wait outside the plane for the wheelchair. Domestic flight attendants showed more care and were very accommodating towards my grandmother. In-flight entertainment was not working to Delhi and there was no in- flight entertainment to Singapore on the old plane, which was quite run-down. Our flight to Singapore from Delhi was on 16th Dec 12.05am and we landed in Delhi on 15th Dec after 4pm for transit. When we tried to enter the international airport, the security officials refused to let us in, asking us to come back 24 hours later as the date written on our boarding pass was 16th Dec. They refused to listen when we explained our flight was 5mins after midnight. We went to the Air India customer service counter, where there were other passengers with the same problem. She simply told us to keep our boarding pass and show them our booking confirmation instead, which we did and the security did not accept. The customer service officer refused to come out of her counter and speak to the security officials for us. We managed to enter the airport 3 hours later. We also had to request for wheelchair assistance again, and the customer service officer told us to wait while she went to get the wheelchair. After making us wait for 40 mins, she returned with 2 cups of coffee and no wheelchair. Upon entering the international airport, there was a whole new problem with the Air India officials. On reaching Singapore, we realised that there was no communication within Air India for the wheelchair assistance. The air stewardess instead told us off that we should have requested for assistance earlier, which we did repeatedly. Overall, the experience with them was horrible as they created inconvenience for us every step of the way but certainly eye-opening to see that their service could be of this standard.

Air India Customer review :  12 December 2013 by Peter Meikle    (UK)

I was travelling on an executive class ticket on flight AI 047 from Kochi to Delhi on 9th Dec was disgusting. A very old A320 in all economy configuration. Cabin smelt of stale sweat and was incredibly hot. Of 3 toilets one was shut up with packing tape and looked like it had been for some time. The other 2 were filthy and stank of urine, by the time we got to Delhi the floor of the front one had been covered in newspaper to soak up 'liquid'. At least on 3rd class Indian Railways you would not have had windows! My seat had a table located in the armrest, it and its housing were filthy. The other armrest had a liftable cover and filled with food scraps and wrappers. Complaints to crew onboard and on the Delhi transfer desk were met with shrug and ignoring you.

Air India Customer review :  12 December 2013 by Peter Meikle    (UK)

Of 4 flights over 6 weeks 3 were ok, 1 was disgusting. BHX to DEL and DEL to LHR on 787 were good service on new clean aircraft with good crew, DEL to MAA on a 319 was newish clean aircraft with good crew. Food service could be improved by not putting a tray in front of crammed with lots of cling film covered bowls. I do a separate review of the disgusting flight. Better selection of English language films would be appreciated.

Air India Customer review :  3 December 2013 by S Roy    (Australia)

My wife and mother-in-law travelled from Sydney to Kolkata (via Delhi). This was the first time they had flown Air India for any International travel and I am sorry to say Air India is far behind the International Level. The issues they have faced are as below: 1) Flight departed 1.5 hrs late and there were no announcements from either the pilot nor the crew. 2) There were no announcements from either the Pilot or the Crew regarding landing as well. 3) The meal was poor, there were only 2 meals provided during the 12 hour journey. 4) No tea/coffee. 5) The air hostess behavior and attitude was rude and they were seen sleeping on the seats. I was updated that the Domestic Flight was far better than the international one.

Air India Customer review :  3 December 2013 by Kirschbaum Wanda    (USA)

My son went to India for a friends wedding. He was supposed to leave Delhi on Air India and change to Delta Airlines in Dubai to travel back to Atlanta, GA. He originally had a 6 hr layover in Dubai. However, Air India changed their departure out of Delhi to Dubai from 3pm to 8.40pm without notice. This put my son at a 20 minute connection time. Air India said sorry that is only flight to Dubai, so nothing they can do. They refused to transfer him to another airline out of Delhi to get him there on time. He would just have to wait until he gets to Dubai and see if someone could help him there. To make matters worse, we had booked this reservation through Travelocity.com, so now we had a third party involved and they all blamed each other. Nobody at airport or their so called "customer service" number could help. My son stood at Air India ticket counter trying to get someone to help with no luck, kept telling him to come back in an hour. He is now in Dubai and we need to start process all over again. I will likely have to buy another ticket to get him home and we have already figured he will likely never see his luggage again. Nobody is willing to take responsibility for ensuring you actually get a flight that was already paid for. Never allow someone to book a multi-airline ticket with Air India and Delta, and never trust a travel service to solve anything for you.

Air India Customer review :  2 December 2013 by PraveenKumar Prem    (India)

29/10/2013, Birmingham-DEL. Chaos at check-in as I did online check in and the system provided online boarding pass. Check in desk unsure of this new facility and finally provided manual boarding pass. Slight delays but landed on time at Delhi. Good flight on Dreamliner - seats in economy the best I have flown, less noise, good food, less choice of drinks, no wine. Staff need to be cheerful. DEL-Chennai connection was chaos, Delhi airport connection: security was long and horribly slow. Connecting flight was delayed 1 hr - no proper information, staff were simply sitting at the boarding gate. A320 OK-No coffee due to boiler problem. Surprising all my baggage arrived safely at Chennai.

Air India Customer review :  28 November 2013 by Jagdeep Singh    (UK)

Flight 114 from Birmingham was not so great, 3.5 hrs late. Departure time was 5.30pm but departed at 9.40pm. When we were boarding the plane looked great, however upon take off there were problems. They did not have any vegetarian dishes, they came back with bread rolls and butter for the rest of the flight. When we got to Delhi we were delayed a further 4hrs due. Poor flight and service.

Air India Customer review :  22 November 2013 by R Puri    (Bahrain)

Flew from Bahrain to Delhi. Flight took off and landed on time. The plane was in good condition and was well kept. Seats were comfortable and there was ample leg room. Inflight service was excellent. Young cabin crew servicing this flight - they were all polite, respectful and attentive. Food was good, Indian - tasted great - however not much options for non-Indian travelers. Inflight entertainment was satisfactory - had mostly Bollywood films and a few Hollywood flicks- slightly outdated. Overall, great flight. would definitely recommend and fly again.

Air India Customer review :  20 November 2013 by Vicki Tennant    (Australia)

As a frequent traveller to India, I really wanted to like Air India. Their new service to Australia would suit me perfectly. However, apart from the lovely Dreamliner plane (on 3 legs of Sydney - Bangalore return) I would find it impossible to choose to fly Air India again. My flight was 2 hours late leaving Sydney which resulted in missing the Bangalore connection from Delhi. The was no information re the delay in Sydney and that was the start of us passengers being treated really badly. Because of the delay, many passengers had to stay overnight in Delhi. Again, no information until we got to the baggage carousel. I missed morning appointments in Bangalore etc. Delays are common - speaking to passengers on my return trip, their flight out of Sydney was 8 hours. If you have an onward trip from Delhi avoid Air India at all costs. The cabin staff service was variable - some were ok, others had a really surly attitude. The ground staff were terrible, rude without exception. The lounge in Delhi (which you would expect to be Air India's flagship lounge) was mediocre - wifi 'not working', showers 'not working', food/drinks not worth having. Shame on you, Air India.

Air India Customer review :  20 November 2013 by R Singh    (India)

Newark-Mumbai in Business Class on a Boeing 777-300ER. The quality of Business class on Air India has really deteriorated. No amenity kits, no menus, no choice (sorry, but "veg" or "non-veg" in business class is not very business class), presentation no better than economy class, and even the quality of the offerings terrible. IFE offerings limited, and one side of the cabin, the IFE stopped working and the crew couldn't rejig it. On the plus side, the cabin crew were polite, helpful and considerate, and the flat bed seats very comfortable.

Air India Customer review :  15 November 2013 by Nandakumar Anoop    (New Zealand)

I was flying from Bangalore (BLR) to Melbourne (MEL) via Delhi (DEL). The first leg was on an Airbus A320 and the second on a Boeing 787 Dreamliner. The seats on both aircraft's had plenty of legroom. Though the in-flight entertainment on the A320 was not switched on, the one on the Dreamliner was excellent. The cabin lighting on the 12 hour flight from DEL to MEL was perfectly set. The cabin crew service was excellent. The 3 meals (both flights combined) served was very good. Both flights were on time. Overall experience was fantastic.

Air India Customer review :  14 November 2013 by Ganesh Kumar    (India)

Fifth flight on AI665 since June, all flights have been on time, breakfast adequate. However, its been noted since the last time, the leg from BOM-IXE provides you only a couple of biscuits and tea. (Jet Airways on the other hand still gives you a proper snack). Overall, no reasons to complain thus far.

1999-2014  Copyright Skytrax