Air China Passenger Reviews and Air China Customer Trip Reports

Air China Customer review :  4 June 2013 by Angus Clark (Australia)

SYD-PEK-GAT, flight sold as a single stop. Only after further enquiries (after purchase) did I find that there was a technical stop in Shanghai. 40 minute stop was taken and little to no information was given to passengers. Did we have to clear customs and then come back in? Yes we did. We were not told. It took me about 70 minutes to get back to the gate. After this we sat on the tarmac for a while. Initially the blame was levelled at tardy passengers that meant we lost our place in the queue. Then the weather. This is while other aircraft were taking off and landing. Of course the delay meant we missed our connecting flight. Again, information had to be squeezed out of the staff. The layover was at a local hotel. We did not know we were being rescheduled until 5 minutes before being ushered onto the bus. Still, no replacement flight had been communicated to us. I am currently awaiting the check in to open for the rescheduled flight. To their credit, this morning, information has been easier to gather.

Air China Customer review :  3 June 2013 by E Wong (Hong Kong)

HKG to CDG via PEK and I must say I have never experienced such a poor airline. Announcements from FA's (and Captains) were of such poor English I could not make out what they were trying to convey. I recall when dinner was being served, the FA asked me whether we would like Chicken or Seafood. I told her "can we have 1 chicken and 1 seafood please". She paused for a second and gave me a confused look and responded "We have Chicken with potato or Seafood with rice"! I had to say it 3 times before she understood. On the long haul flight both times I had no choice on the dinner as by the time the FA came to me there was only one choice of meal left. All the beer was finished before dinner was served. Again like all other reviews mentions, no smile or even emotion from any of the crew. The airplane was old. On both long haul flights, I found litter in the pockets, and the tray table had food stains! The seats were also uncomfortable. No dedicated air-conditioning for each seat.

Air China Customer review :  22 May 2013 by Michael Collier (UK)

Our flight left London at 1.30pm, at 2.30pm 'lunch' was served, at 2.45pm shutters were pulled down and we were told to go to sleep! Unbelievable! The 'food' was disgusting, no wonder the traveller behind us had taken their own food. Attitude in all the staff who didn't seem to like their job. We enquired about an upgrade before takeoff and were told it would be at least 1000, its no wonder that no-one was in business class, apart from the sleeping staff.

Air China Customer review :  20 May 2013 by N Stewart (Australia)

SYD-PEK-SYD in Business Class. Travelling for work all I really want is the cheapest business class seat that I can find for overnight flights to China, there are few options reasonably priced. Air China's offering on A330 equipment is an older style seat but is virtually flat and with plenty of space. It was set quite low to the ground so was easy to hop over the person adjacent when going to the toilet. Food below average for business class and AVOD was limited with mostly older films. Didn't really matter too much when I slept most of the 11.5hrs each way. Flight crew were efficient and polite but characterless. Australian captain noticed on the return flight, which was reassuring.

Air China Customer review :  20 May 2013 by C Jameson (USA)

Flew LAX-PEK in Business and return PEK-LAX in Economy. Business class hard product on the new 777-300 is top notch. Service was very good and food quite on par with my other usual choices when flying to China, including UA, OZ, and AC. Overall, if I was flying business class, I would choose Air China again if the time and price was right. My return flight in PEK-LAX was in economy. Again, 777-300 hard product (seat) which includes in-seat power plug for your laptop was quite good, but the seat pitch was borderline acceptable. The IFE system is good AVOD, but lacks enough current Western content. That aside, I would not recommend Air China economy to anyone because of the quality of the food. Quite simply, it was some of the worst airline food (very low quality Chinese food). Several of the side dishes were inedible.

Air China Customer review :  17 May 2013 by S Liu (New Zealand)

From Auckland to Tianjin, stop over in Hong Kong. With Air China between HKG and Tianjin, Returning. Both flights were terrible. HKG to TSN, cabin crews had no smile, no greetings at all. During the meal service, they forgot to provide my meal because the crew were busying chatting. On way back from TSN to HKG, new Boeing 737-800 with Sky Interior. The service from male cabin crews seemed to be better than their female colleagues. Overall, Air China may have nice planes, but they showed no willingness to provide any customer service for their CA103/4.

Air China Customer review :  9 May 2013 by B Klug (Germany)

Frankfurt-Beijing-Frankfurt. Second time on this airline as I do not make the bookings myself. Flight as horrible as last time. Old and filthy cabin, tatty seats. Crew very poor in English and everything but service minded. Food quality poor and so is the selection of drinks. No announcements from flight deck. Flights at least both on time.

Air China Customer review :  9 May 2013 by Y Charles (Hong Kong)

Hong Kong-Beijing-London and Paris-Beijing-Hong Kong return. Both flights between Hong Kong and Beijing were fine and on-time, a fair meal was served between 3 hours duration. Staff was friendly and tried to meet request made by most passengers. PEK-LHR, A330 served with a lunch and dinner, meals are acceptable. Legroom is fair for a 11 hours flight and staff regularly provide drinks in between. CDG-PEK, B777 served with a dinner and breakfast, the legroom was bit less than the A330 to LHR. You can't demand much more for what you have paid for compared with CS/QR/EK etc.

Air China Customer review :  7 May 2013 by G Warren (Australia)

PVG-NRT last month in J. Flight delayed 2 hours due to late incoming flight from Shenzen. No announcements in lounge and little knowledge of situation from lounge staff. Suddenly a boarding announcement and we raced to the plane. On board A330 the seats were tatty, the crew's English was poor and the meal was the worst I have had in a long time. On approach to Narita we were buffeted by what seemed to be strong winds. No announcement from the captain, just a short "we try to land again, don't worry" from the flight attendant. Landed extremely heavily and made our way to the gate. No AC for me in the future!

Air China Customer review :  25 April 2013 by John Stroobant (UK)

Air China bears no comparison to Thai Airways that I normally use. The food is very poor, drinks service minimal and the service is basic. In its favour the flights left on time and safety standards were good, but I would not fly Air China again from choice.

Air China Customer review :  25 April 2013 by Colin Chapman (Northern Ireland)

Will never travel with this airline again. Comfort level poor, video selection poor. Flew London to Melbourne via Beijing. No prior instruction about stop over in Shanghai. Thus, lost in Beijing Airport as had to discover that Shanghai was a domestic flight and had to change terminals to do this. No instructions from airline, no signs in English, no English speaking staff at airport. Got to Shanghai flight, settled in seat, had to get off 1hr later with all my stuff, be walked through length of airport to fill in a customs form to say why I was there. Then all the way back to same plane, same seat, with all my stuff in tow - having given up the bottles of water I had bought for the initial flight at security. Got an e-mail for return journey, flight changed, extra day in Beijing. Booked Malaysia airline instead.

Air China Customer review :  22 April 2013 by Charles Kennedy (UK)

PEK-LAX. New 777-300ER was completely full, a very young crowd, so much excitement during boarding. Once underway the passengers were very well-behaved. Crew reasonably friendly and immaculately presented. Two hot meals - one soon after takeoff and another about 5 hours before landing. After the second hot meal, sandwiches were distributed for passengers to snack on for the remainder of the flight. Entertainment was a good selection of movies on individual screens. Pushed on time to the minute and landed forty mins late due to headwinds. Only complaint is almost all pax on Air China are Chinese and hence all have visas, which means each pax takes longer for US immigration - which can be interminable at the best of times - will take an hour unless you're one of the first off the plane. For me it took 1h20m to clear immigration, which was also the case when I flew the airline PEK-LAX last year. Other than that, charming and professional, will definitely fly Air China again.

Air China Customer review :  19 April 2013 by C Knudsen (France)

Flight from Paris to Taipei via Shanghai. They could not check our luggage all the way to Taipei, we had to pick them up in Shanghai, go through emigration and check them in again. Plane was dirty, staff onboard between Paris and Shanghai was sullen, never a smile. I had to ask twice to get an extra blanket on our way out, on our way back I didn't get one. We had a light meal (very light) and breakfast both of rather poor quality. Entertainment was non-existent as they do not have personal screen in the front seat, only a few tiny screens in the middle rows. Flight from Shanghai to Taipei was fine though with nice staff and good food. Otherwise it was a very poor experience which I will never try again.

Air China Customer review :  19 April 2013 by Jiyuan Zhou (China)

Hong Kong - Beijing - Moscow Sheremetyevo with Air China on their A321 and B777 because their more competitive price than any other airlines. Check in staff in HKG not polite, due to early morning flight or maybe seeing my Chinese passport? Ground staff in PEK was polite . HKG-PEK arrived on time while PEK-SVO delays 4 hour because of waiting for transfer passenger (not sure if it is the real reason), but CA distributed foods and drinks to us with no extra cost. Compare to unfriendly cabin crew on Air China I have seen before, cabin crew on these two flights were friendly and attentive with limited English ability on both segments. I found my no-lactose special meal tasteless and asked for another regular one which was tasty and good. Seat on B777 PEK-SVO is very comfortable with good recline. No IFE on both segments. I would still recommend Air China for their price and attentive service.

Air China Customer review :  18 April 2013 by H Flores (USA)

CA984, LAX-PEK. On-time departure of a (new) 777ER. Great AVOD with movies in English and Chinese, not recent releases, but good, adequate selection. 2 full meals, Chinese fare both consisted of rice or noodles with beef or chicken, good and abundant. No western meals menu. Frequent cabin walk-throughs with water. Self-serve refreshment section in the mid-galley. FA's professional and efficient. Great seat pitch and recline on coach. Overall a very pleasant experience on a long haul flight. Boarding was not by row or section, just general boarding, but surprisingly quick and efficient. Impressed by the nice new 777 ER. My experience was totally contrary to most reviews on CA, perhaps the introduction of new aircraft was the key.

Air China Customer review :  17 April 2013 by J Buckley (USA)

JFK to PEK and returned 8 days later. Outbound flight was on an ancient 747, there was no entertainment system on the plane. The food was mediocre at best. Flight attendants were pleasant. Our return flight (981 on 4/7/2013) was on a newer 777 with an excellent in flight entertainment system. The food was worse than that served going over from JFK. The huge drawback to this flight was the rudest flight attendant I have encountered in 50 years of flying.

Air China Customer review :  15 April 2013 by Davis Li (Hong Kong)

Flight from Shenzen to Guiyang. Domestic flight. Flight was delayed. Onboard, I found the seats very hard and you could feel the frame of the seat. The meal was just a small piece of cake and a bottle of water that didn't taste very good.