Air China Passenger Reviews and Air China Customer Trip Reports

Air China Customer review :  10 January 2014 by M Mulcair (Australia)

MEL-PVG outbound 26/12/13, PVG-Wenzhou 26/12/13, PVG-MEL inbound 9/1/14. It's not the best airline out there but acceptable for the direct connection to Shanghai and value for money. Timing of flights meant meals were served just after takeoff and just before landing, with not much in between (stewardess came around with water 1-2 times in about 5 hours, many passengers went to the galley to ask for drinks themselves). Seats not much room but you tolerate that in Economy Class. Inflight entertainment is standard stuff, albeit with a focus on Hong Kong movies and Cantopop. The Chinese service industry has still not mastered the art of the "false smile" so hostesses can seem surly and over-officious compared to other airlines. English announcements not of great quality, which is not really acceptable on an international flight to an English-speaking Western country. They do provide English announcements even on domestic flights if there are any foreigners on board. On return flight they tried to put 3 of us (including a 3 year old child) in 3 separate rows, although cabin staff sorted that out well. It's not a patch on Singapore, Qantas, etc. but for the convenience of a cheap-ish direct flight, you can put up with it.

Air China Customer review :  10 January 2014 by P Stephen (USA)

Flew with wife and children, New York to Beijing and then onward to another city in China. The onward flight was canceled due to weather, which was out of Air China's control, but their response beyond that was terrible. It was two hours of being shuttled to different counters staffed by people who spoke barely-passable English. They are supposedly part of Star Alliance, but refused to rebook the award ticket after original flight cancellation, forcing me to pay out of pocket for the flight leg inside China for one family member. There was no assistance with booking hotel. Bottom line: if you speak Mandarin or you're willing to take the risk for the lower cost, then it's an OK airline. But if you expect customer service, book a different airline.

Air China Customer review :  9 January 2014 by D Field (Canada)

First class from SFO to Ulaanbaatar via Beijing on Jan 5. Besides being 27.5 hours late we endured a flight cancellation in SFO after being on the ground for 7 hours and then after being deplaned and told to come back in 2 hours. The information was non existent and there was a passenger revolt. The ground staff were not helpful and not organized. On the following day of departure and after another 2.5 hour delay and another looming passenger revolt we finally left for PEK. At PEK the ground staff were even more clueless in trying to deal with connections and new boarding passes. Our departure from PEK to UB was delayed for over 2 hours as a result of weather despite clear sunny skies all the way from PEK to UB. After finally arriving only 2 of our 4 bags arrived. As I write this the other two are still being traced. This is Air China first class. Star Alliance should be concerned but won't be.

Air China Customer review :  9 January 2014 by Chatchai Im-arom (Thailand)

I couldn't believe this was the Business class! My flight was from BKK-Beijing and Beijing-Haneda. On first impressions the flight from BKK-Beijing, the seat is so-called business class where was my TV? No PTV's. The crew came and asked what I would like to have and at what time, I made my choice and asked them to serve me before landing. I fell asleep - very comfortable, such a good sleep. I woke up when the lights turned on and the pilot said we would be arrived at Beijing in 15 minutes. Realized I'd missed my meal. On the flight from Beijing to Haneda, Japan, there was no other choices apart from the Chinese breakfast. The last time for me with Air China.

Air China Customer review :  8 January 2014 by Lier Michael (Netherlands)

20 Dec, Dusseldorf - Beijing, CA 964. 22 Dec, Beijing - Phuket, CA 821. 3 Jan, Phuket - Beijing, CA 963. 3 Jan, Beijing - Dusseldorf, CA 822. Very bad seats and a lack of leg space. Crew okay. Food average quality (vegetarian dish). Poor service at Bangkok and Phuket offices, numbers mentioned on the website were either not working or not answered by anyone. Had to phone the Chinese service line. Online check in is a disaster. Beijing Capital Airport is boring but clean. Our flight had been changed, the Saturday flight was cancelled so we had to stay 30 hours in China. At check in on Sunday they did not have our details and they were angry and asked why we did not take the Saturday flight. After 15 minutes we were finally accepted on the flight, if there had been no seats left on that plane we would have had to stay another 24 hours in China. After all: never again.

Air China Customer review :  7 January 2014 by Debbie Ridley (UK)

I travelled from Sydney to Beijing then Beijing to UK on 2nd Jan 2014. The inflight entertainment was poor, the TV screen was not working properly. Tea, Coffee and juice was only offered at meal times. Water was offered twice. Even though the flight from Beijing to UK was in daylight hours I was ordered to put the blind down, The seat belt sign was on the entire flight. All announcements where in very poor English and hard to hear.

Air China Customer review :  7 January 2014 by Debbie Ridley (UK)

I travelled from UK to Beijing on 12th December 2013 then from Beijing to Sydney. The plane was clean. This was my 1st long haul flight, The meals where ok, The cabin crews English was very poor and not very helpful. The seat belt sign was on all the time.

Air China Customer review :  6 January 2014 by Hessling Timo (Germany)

FRA-PEK-HKG on 12/27/13 and from HKG-PEK-FRA on 01/03/14. Long haul flights with 777-300ER and medium haul flights with 777-200 and A321. Clean and modern aircraft's, the 777-200 (15 years old) was clean. Flights were on time. Flights were fully booked, except the flight from HKG-PEK. The announcements in English were too low and mostly incomprehensible. Meals were ok for economy class. Only 1 option (rice porridge) from PEK-FRA was absolutely inedible. Lots of drinks service from FRA-PEK. Cabin attendants very friendly. IFE system was quite good. From PEK-HKG and from HKG-PEK limited IFE system with overhead screens. Seat pitch for medium haul flights was very good, and for the long haul flight acceptable. Overall all very good.

Air China Customer review :  21 December 2013 by Sam Smith (USA)

I traveled from SFO to Beijing (an 11 hour trip) and there were no TV's (monitors) at the seats. This is an 11 hour flight and I am shocked that an airline does not have seat screens for entertainment. Instead, what was available was a projector screen with blurry vision that made it impossible to see. To my dismay, the same thing happened from China to SFO (my return). What made the trip even worse was the use of my iPhone which was kept in airplane mode but the air hostesses would not allow me to have my phone on even in airplane mode. •Traveling to Asia on an 11 hour flight with no entertainment was extremely painful. I was given the same food from Hong Kong to Beijing and from Beijing to SFO. I had requested for a special Hindu Meal. Every time I had to remind them that I had ordered a special meal.

Air China Customer review :  19 December 2013 by Lal Jashil (Australia)

I travelled from Melbourne to Vancouver, with a technical stop in Shanghai Pudong, and transit stop in Beijing Capital - and return. I was very impressed with the service. Flight attendants on all flights were very friendly, attentive and polite. They were welcoming with smiles and laughs all around, which made the long flight quite pleasant. Food was excellent - great Chinese cuisine (more western choice was also available) with generous servings. Inflight entertainment was good. To top things off - I bought the ticket at an excellent price - considerably lower that all other airlines. I would definitely consider flying with Air China again.

Air China Customer review :  11 December 2013 by Hans Roloff (Germany)

PUS-PEK in a B737-800. Plane not new, but clean and inviting. Departure on time (also due to generous turnaround time in Busan), arrival in Beijing ahead of schedule. Flight not fully booked, thus our middle seat fortunately was left empty and provided some extra comfort. As in many Asian airlines the announcements in English were too low and mostly incomprehensible, certainly a risk for emergency situations, although you rely on the fact that this is not your first flight and you know the "rules". Lunch was served on this flight of almost two hours, two standard options, decent food - absolutely ok for economy class. The Chinese (white) wine they served is strange to European palate, but you almost feel like Robert Parker and keep tasting and discovering. Overall impression of the crew was positive: polite and efficient, not eager to talk. Limited IFE with overhead screens, just the usual equipment in a 738 of about five years of age, sufficient for a short haul trip.

Air China Customer review :  2 December 2013 by L Bailey (USA)

I travelled from Beijing (PEK) to Houston (IAH) on 12/1/13. There were a few points that made this trip poor: 1) The PA system was nearly indecipherable most of the time. When the flight attendant would speak, the PA system had a lot of feedback and echos and you could not hear what was being said. This could be a safety issue in an emergency. 2) Our main flight attendant was very rude. She rolled her eyes anytime she was asked a question (ie asking for more tea, asking to take tray, etc). I had a cold I was getting over and needed some water. I asked her for a bottle that was half full that I could keep with me and she refused, again rolling her eyes. (We couldn't bring water bottles on board.) 3) My husband is ethnically Chinese, but born in the US and speaks no Chinese. When the flight attendant spoke to him in Chinese, he said he did not understand Chinese, so she simply raised her voice and said it again, rolled her eyes and walked away. Overall, the crew was not helpful, especially rude to foreigners, and unpleasant.

Air China Customer review :  28 November 2013 by Steven Cao (China)

Several rounds recently on Shanghai Hongqiao-Beijing sector, all B777-200 or new B777-200ER. On time departure and arrival, spacious let-room for economy class, comfortable seat, friendly staff provide efficient service, I've decided to switch to CA from MU despite being an elite member of MU!

Air China Customer review :  27 November 2013 by G Mark (Australia)

Flew Sydney to NYC via Beijing. New planes, inflight entertainment, decent food and good service! Also no cost stopover in China and the new VISA on Arrival (free) service that allowed me to do some sightseeing and break up the long trip. Only complaint was some passengers were too excited at the beginning of the flight.

Air China Customer review :  22 November 2013 by P Wong (Malaysia)

Flying with Air China 737-800 from Beijing to Guangzhou. 3 hour flight was delayed 90 minutes. I was sat in the very uncomfortable seat for almost 4 hours. Flight attendants were patient with passengers that needed to transit at Guangzhou. The overhead TV was boring and in mandarin (maybe cause by domestic flight). The vegetarian food was too salty but okay for economy class. Will not recommend.

Air China Customer review :  13 November 2013 by G Matthews (UK)

Thank you Skytrax! Finally you place Air China as 3 star airline, which is where they belong. I have used them many times in the past 2 years for work, and standards in biz class have dropped this last year. Cutbacks for many things and staff seem to be unhappier. BTW, safety standards should be questioned - and why oh why do Air China let flight attendants take up biz class seats en masse for their sleep times? Very unprofessional, and please, please find me a Star Alliance direct service from London to Beijing.

Air China Customer review :  12 November 2013 by X Yu (Hong Kong)

Xi'an to Beijing, long delay on boarding and complete silence from ground staff. They just ignore customers and were rude to foreigners asking about status. Onboard the cabin crew were in a bad moood because odf delay and were also rude and seemed like they could not be bothered to speak any English. Food was literally thrown out onto table without a word or smile, and staff laughed when I asked for a beer. I flew them last 18months ago, and their standards now seem to be slipping back 10 years to the Air China of old! Back to Dragonair and a change of routes for me.