Air China Passenger Reviews and Air China Customer Trip Reports

Air China Customer review :  8 October 2012 by C Seibold (Australia)

Sydney to Munich (via Shanghai and Beijing). Our flight Sydney to Shanghai, where we had a technical stop was fine. However, our flight to Beijing was delayed for reportedly ‘weather reasons’ although, when we arrived in Beijing with a delay of 4 hours, there were no signs of any bad weather. As a result of the delay we missed our connecting flight to Europe. In the arrival hall all, all service desk were closed and unstaffed, despite around 40 people also missing their connecting flights with Air China. The flight attendants from our flight made the effort to call some service staff and left us. After 1 hour of waiting no one had turned up. We eventually made our way into the departure area (without having visas for China) where all Air China counters were also unstaffed. The one staff member we found was unable/unwilling to help us and advised us that Air China service desks would open at 6:30am (4 hours later). Rather than getting a hotel room, meal vouchers, assistance in booking to connecting flights and, most importantly, an apology as is standard service with every other airline, we had no choice other than finding a bench in the departure hall and try to sleep there. There were families with babies/small children travelling with us and had to do the same. At 6:30am all stranded passengers queued for the service counter which also could not/refused to help us and referred us to the ticketing counter which would open an hour later. When it eventually opened, the staff suggested booking us to the next flight to Munich which would depart 18 hours later. I said that was unacceptable and asked to be booked on a Lufthansa flight to Munich (4 hours later). Lufthansa and Air China are both in the Star Alliance and I assumed it was standard practice to use partner airlines to get passengers to their final destinations as quickly as possible in those circumstances. However, she refused to book us on Lufthansa. I had to make the suggestion to fly via Dusseldorf (7hours later with Air China) which was reluctantly arranged. We then had to pick up our luggage and check it in again. This involved another 1.5 hours of waiting time with the result that, after receiving dismissive and rude answers from baggage staff, we were informed that both our bags had gone missing. We filled in the missing luggage report, which took so long that it was too late to go to the hotel that Air China eventually offered (although fellow travellers reported that Air China expected random people to share rooms!). We arrived in Munich with a delay of over 17 hours. We have emailed Air China asking for feedback on the terrible experience we have made but after over one month, we still have not received a response. Throughout our trip, Air China staff were rude, dismissive, and at the first moment keen to say "this isn't my responsibility".

Air China Customer review :  27 September 2012 by Chuwei Yang    (China)

PEK-SZX. The outbound was a B747-400, business class was on the upper cabin. Staff service was excellent with good food. The inbound was an old B777-200, seat pitch was not satisfactory. But service and food were good.

Air China Customer review :  26 September 2012 by Ferenc Varga    (Australia)

For the price from Australia to Europe return, Air China is excellent value. But traveling through Beijing and a sneaky hidden stop over in Shanghai to your destination puts a sour taste in the mouth. For a start even though you are transiting through China to you're destination you must clear customs in both Shanghai and Beijing, this process is 10/10 in the stress factor especially if you are a first time traveler via these cities. As this was our first European holiday my wife and I found out the hard way that cheap airfares are cheap for a reason. As for Air China as a carrier I can not complain the service was good food typical for an aircraft seats average for comfort in economy class entertainment good. If it wasn't for the headaches and stress in transiting through China I would most certainly use Air China again.

Air China Customer review :  17 September 2012 by Weiyuan Tan    (China)

SHA-PEK return First class (business, but they sell the tickets domestically as first). The outbound was an A330-300, had comfortable flatbed. Inbound leg a Boeing 777-200, less space compared with A330 and the seat could not recline much. Flight was on time and was offered nice dim sum. The flight attendants were quite responsive.

Air China Customer review :  12 September 2012 by C Sou    (Macau)

PEK-FRA on a very old B744. Actually, I chose Air China just because other airlines are full. 744 had no personal TV for economy class, so if you cannot sleep on a long haul flight, please consider very carefully before booking. The seat is quite good, it should be a 33~34" pitch seat, and I slept quite well during the flight. Two meals on the flight, the first one was about 2 hours after take-off, the second one was around 2.5 hours before landing. However, if other airlines are available with not much disadvantage on price, I will not choose Air China.

Air China Customer review :  11 September 2012 by Tan Weiyuan    (China)

SHA-PEK return. Inbound trip was with an A333 aircraft and the outbound was with B772, both wide-body jet, but the latter has no fully flat bed. But considering the flight lasts less than 2 hours, it's OK. The flight arrived on time and the services in the lounge and onboard were standard. Many domestic airlines offer Shanghai - Beijing route, but I think Air China gives the best offering as far as both hardware and software are concerned.

Air China Customer review :  10 September 2012 by A Roblou    (UK)

Economy, London Gatwick to Osaka via Beijing in mid-August and back via Beijing but to London Heathrow in early September. Cheaper than the others by 200 + a seat. Timings of flights excellent and quick with only 2 hour turnaround in Beijing. Planes Airbus A330-200 ok with 2-4-2 pattern. Seats no worse than many other airlines in economy - maybe an inch more than some. Food quality ok. Wine only served at end of main meal! Staff fine. Loos ok. Entertainment a bit limited and one seat back terminal ropey and you need the double mono adapter. Flights all pretty much on time. Beijing transfer is a bit tricky first time - go to the "transfer passenger" queue on the far right of all other queues, looks slow but works ok, then down escalator and back through security. We fly long haul every year, sometimes several times and for the money and on this experience we thought Air China were fine.

Air China Customer review :  10 September 2012 by Rob Chapman    (Australia)

After 2 long flights, SYD-Shanghai, and Beijing to Rome in Business Class, my wife and I were satisfied. The seat laid out completely flat, and we were as comfortable as any airline we have travelled on. The meals were good, in size and quantity, but not exceptional. FA's were charming and responsive, and their English was much better than my Chinese! The selection of movies and TV shows was more than adequate for us, and the headsets comfortable. The toilets spotless, and we were on time. Altogether a satisfactory experience.

Air China Customer review :  10 September 2012 by J Mcvey    (Australia)

Sydney via Shanghai/Beijing to London. Checked in at Sydney and told flight was delayed by 5 hours due to heavy rain in Beijing. At check in, and subsequently on flight we were reassured that all information and assistance would be given at Beijing. We arrived just before 4am - there were no Air China Staff on duty and no directions as to where we should go, eventually we found our way to the International Duty Manager's desk, which did not open until 5.30am. Once Air China Staff arrived they initially refused to speak to us or offer any assistance. About six hours after arrival, waiting, going between desks collecting luggage we were given a box of food and a milk drink, and checked in on a flight Frankfurt. The flights themselves were cheap, adequate and clean, Cabin Crew were polite but had difficulty communicating in English. I was disappointed with the poor service shown by Air China airport staff, and their lack of honesty in communicating what was to be expected at Beijing, especially in view that the situation in Beijing was beyond their control and would not have involved a loss of face despite their poor management and lack of skill in dealing with an adverse situation.

Air China Customer review :  10 September 2012 by T Hine    (Hong Kong)

HKG to Beijing, connecting to London. Inbound flight delayed by 2.5 hours due to bad weather, caused us to miss our connecting flight to London. On arrival in Beijing a Chinese man with a sign gave us a sticker, and a friendly couple explained to us we were being put up in a hotel overnight because there were no connecting flights until the next day. We followed the sign man and queued for immigration, after finally getting through sign man had vanished. A number of passengers were also left behind and approached the Air China information desk. After hearing our problem both employees went and did not return. A representative was sent to meet us, and after waiting a couple of hours we were taken to our hotel. The hotel was pretty gross, and breakfast inedible, however, it was provided at no extra cost. The next morning a bus was provided to take us to the airport. After queuing for almost 3 hours we were issued boarding passes. Onboard the plane staff unfriendly and unable to smile. The food was poor. Finally we arrived in London after travelling for 28 hours. Our flight back was a bit better, as we were only delayed by 9 hours in Beijing! Although our experience was fairly negative, I would like to praise the check-in staff in London and Hong Kong as they were quite friendly.

Air China Customer review :  10 September 2012 by D Perry    (Hong Kong)

HKG - PEK - JFK and back. Check-in at Hong Kong International Airport was great. Flight from Hong Kong left on time and was quite comfortable. Landing in Beijing was on time. The main concern that I had was the customs / metal detector line where you pass through to the International Departures area. It was apparent from my observations that Air China has sold a lot of International to International flights going through Beijing Airport to the point where China Customs has too many international transfer people to check, which leads to a delay. I wouldn't fault China Customs as they had every one of the four international transfer desks open. After customs, an even bigger delay occurred at the metal detector area for International transfers, which only had one of the two counters open. Because of the aforementioned delays, I made it to my JFK flight just as it began boarding. My wife, who flew two weeks after I did, missed her connection to JFK because Hong Kong was in the midst of a typhoon. It took Air China a while to process her for the next day's flight and put her in a hotel. When my wife arrived at the hotel, she was surprised to be informed that Air China was going to put her in a room with a roommate, and subsequently paid an extra USD$24 to get her own room. Flying back from JFK was pleasant, and we arrived on time in Beijing. There is no plug-in point for a laptop or iPad, so my battery died halfway through the flight. The aircraft does not have personal screens in the Economy Section. After spending the night at the hotel located in the Departures Area of Beijing National Airport, we had another pleasant flight back to Hong Kong. Overall, a good experience. Would fly again if the airfare is competitive.

Air China Customer review :  5 September 2012 by Ian Phillips    (UK)

Business class London Gatwick to Beijing to Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia. The new-ish business class lounge at Gatwick (North Terminal) is excellent for a short stay but perhaps not the best if you have a 3 or four hour lay-over. Aircraft was A330-200, seat 13L. Cabin was a little tired but was still in reasonable condition. The seat cushions were a little firm but the space and width were reasonable. I was worried that the full recline/flat bed was not actually going to be flat but it was and was very comfortable for a sleep. Supplied also with pyjamas and quilt for a snooze. Staff very attentive and there was no need to request drinks or top- ups as these were forthcoming throughout the flight. The Chinese meal was good, but a little tasteless. A bit more variety and freshness may have improved it a bit. The AVOD completely froze for my seat and was never rectified throughout. However, glancing at the programmes and films on offer I did not miss much as it was very dated. Punctuality excellent. Beijing T3 is not the easiest to change flights within and there is no channels for business class to speed up the process. As there were several flights arriving there was a very long queue of at least 200 waiting for the immigration check (although it was just a check to then be allowed in to the area for security - where there was another queue). Flight to UB was fine - with only 8 business class seats and two staff for the section we were very well looked after.

Air China Customer review :  4 September 2012 by R Chen    (UK)

London to Beijing in July. The seat was uncomfortable and did not recline properly. The food was far below normal international airline standards. Staff were unhelpful and curt. The inflight entertainment was limited and clearly designed more for a mainland China audience.

Air China Customer review :  4 September 2012 by Robert Harker    (Australia)

Sydney to Beijing and onto London after a 7 hour stop over. I would never fly Air China again. I found the cabin crew rude, the aircraft (Airbus A330) was old and the inflight entertainment system was either broken for me or the entire aircraft. Fair enough, only paid $1790 for my return airfare, but I still expect more than I received. I was told soft drinks were only served at dinner time and they offered me a small glass of warm water.

Air China Customer review :  31 August 2012 by Phil Butterworth    (Cambodia)

Flew PEK-FNJ on a B737-200. Seating was pretty cramped. Even though it was a short flight, drinks and a snack-box was served. 2nd run through was made for drink top-ups. No IFE. FA's were cordial. All-in-all a decent enough experience.

Air China Customer review :  29 August 2012 by Danielle McKay    (Australia)

London to Sydney. The food was appalling, unless you could speak Mandarin you were not able to communicate with the air hostesses. We were left sitting on the Tarmac in Beijing for 5 hours prior to take off (so long that we actually had to go back and fuel up once we were cleared for take off). The captain kept making announcements about bad weather, yet we could see only sunny weather all around. The toilet facilities became quite bad. I missed my next flight as a result of the delays, and the crew did not even apologise. I heard from a few western travellers that the lengthy delays were common.

Air China Customer review :  22 August 2012 by Joel Knibbe    (South Korea)

Flew from Incheon to Singapore return via Beijing. We were given a free upgrade to first class on the first leg of the journey, which I can't complain about, but the apart from that the airline is rather disappointing. Both of the flights on the way to Singapore were delayed by about 3 hours. The economy food was very poor; the beer and wine undrinkable; and the service was minimalistic. The crew seemed to have a very low level of English. They only offered drinks other than water once during the five hour flight from Beijing to Singapore and even water was not offered enough. There was no entertainment on the 5 hour flights to and from Singapore. Air China is cheap but it can really only be compared with other low-cost airlines.

Air China Customer review :  22 August 2012 by L Carvalho    (Portugal)

Madrid-Beijing A330 and Beijing-Frankfurt B747 in August. Both flights left on time and arrived earlier than scheduled. Check-in and boarding was fast and efficient at both airports. Daylight flight from Madrid to Beijing. Small leg space in the A330 and cabin seemed old. Inflight entertainment was basic (small TV in each seat) consisting of 4/5 movies (2 Chinese + 2/3 English). Cabin crew was efficient but service was basic. Food was simple (2 lunch options but when it got to our row only one dish was available as they ran out of chicken). They served 2 meals. Red eye flight from Beijing to Frankfurt. Greater than usual leg space in the B747. Cabin seemed old but was clean. Inflight entertainment was very basic (1 large screen for each economy class section). Cabin crew was efficient and their English level was good. Food was simple but tasty (2 meals served). Good value for money.

Air China Customer review :  15 August 2012 by A Chen    (USA)

Flew from JFK to Beijing, supposed to return from MNL back to JFK on July 23. Food was so-so, nothing to write home about, attendants appeared to have problems with food carts and would push and pull without looking to see that the cart would be banging into passengers' shoulders. In MNL flights were cancelled, rebooked, cancelled without explanation. No ground crew or call centres to respond to inquiries. Finally rebooked back to JFK on Delta, one day later. Communications totally inadequate, not acceptable.

Air China Customer review :  14 August 2012 by A Odawara    (UK)

Very mediocre experience and an airline I'll be avoiding in the future. I was flying direct London to Beijing, but the quality was worse than some domestic Chinese flights I've taken. I had to change seats a grand total of 4 times. Each time because my inflight entertainment system wasn't working, and it wasn't until my fourth seat that the screen was working. During this time the stewards and stewardesses were co-operative in helping me find a seat, but not kind or apologetic in any way. As for the food, the quality of the Chinese meal was somewhat better than the Western meal but neither especially good. My main complaint about the Western meal was the lack of vegetables and meat. The service was perfunctory and the stewardesses stern and at times rude. I just think they have no concept of what customer service is. They warmed to me slightly as I speak Mandarin and was travelling by myself. All in all, Air China will get you from A to B, and the stewardesses will bring you your food and drinks, but whether or not you have a relaxing enjoyable flight is another matter. Wouldn't recommend them and would prefer to pay extra or fly to China indirect next time to avoid them.

Air China Customer review :  8 August 2012 by Steven Cao    (China)

Kunming-Shanghai Hongqiao on B738, Beijing-Shanghai Hongqiao on A332, both on time for departure and arrival. Aircraft's are new and clean, comfortable seat and spacious legroom, blanket was given which was appreciated for domestic flights. Food and drinks acceptable. Overall enjoyable experience with Air China for domestic travel.

Air China Customer review :  3 August 2012 by T Lam    (Canada)

Vancouver - Beijing - Hong Kong - Beijing - Delhi - Beijing - Vancouver business class. 3 of those 6 segments were delayed by more than 5 hours! And for one of those segments, that meant staying overnight at a second-rate hotel outside of the airport. Onboard, service was minimal and the staff act like they are doing you a favor when they the food and drinks. On the ground, the service is similarly curt and non-communicative.

Air China Customer review :  2 August 2012 by A J Taylor    (New Zealand)

Hong Kong to Beijing, flight was a little late leaving but made the time up. Plane was an airbus, looked tired from the outside but fine inside. Some of the PA announcements were lost in translation but the crew were friendly and helpful, food was OK, alcohol needed to be purchased, entertainment just local Chinese television. I would use them again in this part of the world.

Air China Customer review :  25 July 2012 by K Myler    (UK)

London-Beijing-Taipei. Flight was about 200 cheaper than any of the other airlines were offering. I flew Air France to Shanghai last year and actually Air China compared quite favourably - there wasn't the same degree of choice with the inflight entertainment but the food was just as good and seats were probably more comfortable. You aren't provided with a takeaway 'pack' of things on this flight but there is a pillow and blanket on your seat and there are headphones for entertainment. The toilets were fine (yes, they did get a bit gross towards the end but that happens on an 11 hour flight) and the staff were accommodating. My veggie meal wasn't on their list on the first leg of the outward bound journey but when I showed them my confirmation email they found me one without any fuss. Service at the check-in desks was also perfectly fine. The long haul planes had a personal television and were pretty full. The shorter flights (Beijing-Taipei) had communal screens with Chinese TV on them but weren't very full - on the way back I got a whole row of seats to myself!

Air China Customer review :  23 July 2012 by M Smith    (France)

Flew from Shanghai to Shenzhen on Friday evening. Boarding was efficient and the doors closed on time, but that's when the trouble started. We sat on the tarmac for at least 30 minutes and were then told that we were waiting for traffic control clearance. Other announcements were made but they were so quiet that I could not hear what was said. After 1 hour the food came out while we were still waiting on the ground. The total delay was around 2 hours and 15 minutes before we finally departed. This delay more than doubled the journey time - very disappointing for what should be a simple domestic flight.

Air China Customer review :  6 July 2012 by E Robelen    (USA)

Return JFK-PEK. Economy. Full flights, on time. Food was not brilliant, but certainly edible. Cabin crew attentive and cheerful. Plenty of beverages and cold water in between meals. Wine and beer available at no extra charge. Seats comfortable, even for my 6'3" husband. 744 seating felt roomier than 747. Movie screen a little hard to see for short people. In truth, most travelers had tablets or laptops playing their own movies or TV shows. Not much variety in sound system entertainment, but, again, most people were listening to their own MP3 players or iPods. Bathrooms neat and clean. Whole experience comparable to United return to Beijing several years ago.

Air China Customer review :  6 July 2012 by Z Ko    (Austria)

MUC-PEK-HKG-PEK-MUC over June and July 2012. Check-in at MUC handled very professionally by Lufthansa. Assigned a bulkhead seat from MUC-PEK. Legroom is therefore excellent. Cabin crew spoke very poor English, and showed little enthusiasm. The food is nothing extraordinary - portions were small and bland. IFE is AVOD, with a reasonable section. PEK-HKG operated by a wet-leased Air Macau A320 - no IFE, same mechanical service and poor food options. Service on return leg was mediocre. The excellent IFE hardware with touch screens cannot make up for the lack of film and TV options. Food worse than outbound and the white wine almost undrinkable. Overall, a cheap way to get from A to B, but don't expect much in the service department.

Air China Customer review :  5 July 2012 by P Chon    (USA)

ICN-PEK-HKG. Flight from Incheon to Beijing was decent, but when we arrived in Beijing that's when things fell apart transferring to flight to Hong Kong. After going through immigration and security for the second time in Beijing with 15 minutes to spare until boarding - rushed to the gate to make it on time. Other passengers notify me that the flight has been cancelled due to high winds in Hong Kong. When I tried to speak to a staff member, he really didn't speak much English, so communication was very difficult. They herded all passengers out of the airport into buses and sent us to a hotel. Told that there isn't any flights to Hong Kong until the next morning, but won't say exactly what time. Told if we want our own rooms we have to pay $150.00. A hotel staff member communicates to us that the bus will be leaving at 4am back to the airport. We get to the airport and finally we're told at the counter that there is a flight at 6.30am to Hong Kong. What should have been a 5 hr 40 mins travel time turned into a 13+ hour travel time with the airline hardly communicating what was going on.

Air China Customer review :  5 July 2012 by B Eisler    (USA)

We flew economy from San Francisco to Beijing. The plane was full. The plane was very old, proven by ashtrays throughout the plane. My seat was very uncomfortable with little leg room. The food was awful. I asked for pork and was told she was out of it after a different attendant took it just as I was about to be served. The chicken was tasteless. The only thing I had to eat was rice. The movie screen picture was horrible. The flight attendants hid behind curtains and only occasionally came out to hand out warm water. I flew on 4 flights within China and they all were just as bad.

Air China Customer review :  18 June 2012 by Federica Alberti    (Germany)

Frankfurt to Taipei return. On the way to Taipei I missed the connection at Beijing because the flight was delayed by two hours. At Beijing airport my luggage was missing, found it eventually, but that took more than one hour. At the ticket counter I was lucky to find a seat on the next flight, departing the next day. The company offered to cover my accommodation expenses for the night, but that was a basic hotel room to share with two other passengers. I refused their offer, which I found disgusting, and insulting. On the way back to Frankfurt I had to change flight twice. At every time I had to pass the immigration check to collect my luggage and check in again. Luckily I had enough time to do that. Hongzouh to Beijing, was canceled. The company announced the flight was canceled two hours before the departure. Until then the flight was scheduled as normal. The reason for canceling the flight was the disruption of the air signalling system caused by the launch of a space ship. The launch was scheduled to take place at 6.30 pm. Our flight was scheduled to depart at 8.00 pm. Eventually two other passengers and I managed to get the last three seats on to another flight to Beijing. The departure time of the latter was 7.00 pm, but the flight was delayed by one hour. No problem from Beijing to Frankfurt. This was my first experience with Air China and will be the last one.

Air China Customer review :  18 June 2012 by E Chong    (France)

Business/Economy class CDG-PEK-PVG-CDG. CDG-PEK on 777-300ER business class, a prized flatbed which is great for a 10 hours flight. My welcome drink was snatched away before I could finish it. Food was plentiful but taste awful. IFE froze and was rebooted 3 times. Crew was robotic. PEK-PVG on A340 in economy. Uncomfortable seat, no personal IFE. Crew good for economy class standard. They did 2 rounds of drinks and each PAX was given a tasteless muffin with a fried egg inside. PVG-CDG on 340 Business class, old style business class seat and I found myself sliding down the seat the whole night. It was supposed to be angled flat but I would call it flat with bumps. The crew asked me if I would like a welcome drink and handed me a food and drink menu. I ordered red wine and was told that red wine bottle would be opened only after takeoff. Crew service was a little impersonal, but did perform their work professionally. Ground service efficient - quick check-in, meet and greetings hostess, efficient to/from airport-hotel limousine transfers offered. If you find yourself flying Air China business, make sure it is on their 777-300ER.

Air China Customer review :  7 June 2012 by David Smith    (Germany)

Frankfurt to Shanghai. Old A340, entertainment - 2 screens awful. Service personnel ok but I had the feeling they just wanted to get the flight over and done with sat at the back most of the time, occasionally came through with some water. Luggage left in Frankfurt, not prepared to put it on another Star Alliance flight - had to wait for same flight next day.

Air China Customer review :  30 May 2012 by A Kupferman    (France)

Paris to Beijing in business class on a 777-300 and return from Shanghai to Paris in business class on A340. Seating on the 777 is excellent, with new seats, large TV screens, and a 2-2-2 configuration. On the A340, the configuration was the same, but there were older seats, smaller TV screens, though I cannot complain about seating. On both legs, staff were friendly and attentive. What is disappointing, was the quality of the meals. I have seldom tasted such bland food and the presentation was horrible. Before take-off, only orange juice and water were served. Wines (good selection of French wines) were excellent, but must have been very expensive, because there was no second serving, nor were liquors offered at the end of the meal. Another drawback was the total absence of reading materials in English or in French, except a few China Daily newspapers. A large proportion of the offered movies were oldies. If you are not interested in food, if you bring your own reading materials, Air China is a good option, as it is cheap and not too many people fly it, so you have plenty of space.

Air China Customer review :  28 May 2012 by N Halperin    (UK)

LHR-PEK return in economy. Did the same journey last year, this time it was slightly less enjoyable due to the seats I was in on the A330. On both legs 46J and 46L had a dodgy IFE whereas it appeared the rest of the plane was having no problems. Both legs had old interior/IFE, seat material was uncomfortable, legroom was ok for a small person like myself, taller people may have problems. Food wasn't top notch but they still give you 2 full meals. Flight attendants do plenty of drink runs, and were friendly. Outbound flight landed 30 mins early, inbound landed on time. Will probably fly again as prices and schedules suit me.

Air China Customer review :  17 May 2012 by Trevor Banthorpe    (UK)

London-Beijing overnight return Shanghai-Beijing-London. Outward on a brand new A330 with individual screens and entertainment systems. Food not good and ran out of beer 2 hours into flight. All staff very surly and just sat at the back - no water/drink offers apart from 2 meal times. Shanghai-Beijing on old 747 - again surly staff with no smiles. Beijing-London on old A330 with very poor entertainment system - only 2 films, both in Chinese! Food appalling, ran out of 2nd choice within a few rows of service starting. Again all staff unfriendly.

Air China Customer review :  9 May 2012 by Elina Hills    (Australia)

SYD-PEK. The seats, entertainment and service were all very average. The food was edible but not enjoyable. However, it was easily the cheapest flight on offer, as far as value for money goes it was all about what you would expect.

Air China Customer review :  2 May 2012 by H Jarvel    (Switzerland)

PEK-FRA on 777 economy. Seats were fine and the inflight entertainment system was nice, although most of the entertainment was Asian. Staff were unfriendly and uncommunicative. Toilets were not cleaned during the flight and they were very dirty towards the end. No alcohol served after the main meal. The food was also quite sad.

Air China Customer review :  1 May 2012 by S Noble    (China)

Flew Beijing direct to JFK. A 13.5 hour flight with 2 terrible meals, no personal television screens and just a few screens dotted around. Unfortunately, Air China use videotapes to show films and so the picture was crackly. Very little room and a most uncomfortable experience. Additionally, flight attendants spend most of the flight behind a curtain trying to get some sleep. On the return flight there was a 4 hour delay. No apology or explanation. On our arrival in Beijing we were kept waiting for 1.5 hours for our baggage while employees were standing around laughing and joking amongst themselves.

Air China Customer review :  26 April 2012 by James Ower    (Australia)

Melbourne to Shanghai then onto London return. Booked Air China due to them being $1500 less than any other flights to the UK. The food, entertainment and service weren't top class, but for the price they were good. We had to transfer between flights at Shanghai but staff helped us with every aspect. Due to reading the comments on here, we were prepared with our own snacks and some entertainment, which I would advise. Would definitely fly them again.

Air China Customer review :  17 April 2012 by Simon Middleton    (Hong Kong)

Hong Kong-Paris via Beijing. Price of this trip was excellent. The first 3 flights were on comfortable planes, while the final leg from Beijing to HKG was on an old leased Air Macau plane which was rather cramped. Food isn't great, but flights were on time and the air hostesses excellent. Movie selection is spartan, but I took an ipod so didn't mind. The one curious policy is that Air China keep the fasten seat belt signs on throughout the flights. Would certainly fly again if price remains at least $HK 1500 lower than its competitors.

Air China Customer review :  11 April 2012 by G Hu    (USA)

SFO-PEK in economy. Rebooked on CA after UA delay. In terms of seating, not enough legroom, but was made better because flight was relatively empty and my wife and I had an extra seat between us. Food was low average, about the same standards as UA economy transpacific flights. Their wine selection was small and there were no spirits offered. Soft drink selection very minimal as well. Plane was uncomfortably warm, but FAs did turn down the temperature after I requested. Entertainment was on the big screen, and mostly Chinese programming. Their domestic flights w/in china are very comfortable with excellent service, but their international flights are very bare-boned.

Air China Customer review :  29 March 2012 by Georgios Vrontos    (Greece)

ATH-MUC-PEK-MUC-ATH on time A332. The older a/c had bad IFE with only 6 movies and no feet support. Seats comfortable, pillow and blanket supplied but no amenities pouch. The flight attendants made the difference - fluent in English and eager to help. There were 2 selections of food, Western and Asian.

Air China Customer review :  27 March 2012 by Karl Mintert    (Germany)

DUS-PEK-MNL return. 2.5 hours delay to PEK in DUS. Unfriendly flight attendants, food acceptable. On the return PEK to DUS, no beer or red wine left after 30 min. However red wine served again with the second meal. I tried to complain, but flight attendants just laughed and try to make a joke of it. Would not recommend.

Air China Customer review :  27 March 2012 by J Devaney    (Australia)

HKG-BJS on A321. Old looking plane but was clean and modern on the inside, similar to domestic travel in Australia. Delayed on the ground in HKG for 2 hours due to "cargo loading" but made up time in the air. Crew were friendly but didn't speak English.

Air China Customer review :  21 March 2012 by Shirley Kingdon    (Canada)

Vancouver to Beijing return in economy. My vegetarian meal was quite good and the service good. Pillows and blankets provided as were earphones. The downside being the movies were not on demand and as such I did not watch them. Both flights on time. My only complaint would be the lack of on demand video and I would suggest the bathroom floors be mopped (this seems to be an issue on all long haul flights I have been on).

Air China Customer review :  19 March 2012 by G Lee    (Canada)

Vancouver to Hong Kong Via Beijing. Seating was comfortable, food good and the stewardess polite. Our flight leaving Vancouver was delayed 3 hours so could not make our connecting flight to HKG. Arrangements made for free accommodation in Beijing. When we got to Beijing, the transfer station misdirected us. Afterwards I found out there was an Air China official looking after other passengers who were also delayed. We had to wait another 2-3 hours for other delayed passengers to pick up their luggage. It seems that Air China need to improve procedures to deal with delayed passengers in Beijing.

Air China Customer review :  13 March 2012 by Jan Vallin    (Sweden)

Stockholm-Bangkok via Beijing. Return flight Bangkok-Frankfurt via Beijing. Seat was awful, headphone socket didn't work. Food was poor and service was slow, I managed to get 3 beers in 6 hours, after that they were out of beer and wine. Business class Beijing-Bangkok. Only good thing was the seat - fairly comfortable though no electric socket for laptop. Service not up to much. Very poor English from staff. Toilets smelt really bad and were dirty.

Air China Customer review :  28 February 2012 by Jun Fang    (China)

Beijing to Shanghai. Only one check-in desk for standby passengers. Flight time was 2 hours. Hot meals served and no options. The A/C was B777 without IFE system. Crew were helpful. Flight was on time. Shanghai to Beijing, B747 without IFE. One hot bun served as breakfast. Flight delayed 45 minutes due to air traffic control.

Air China Customer review :  22 February 2012 by Geraldine Gold    (UK)

London to Sydney return via Beijing. A cheap flight and lived up to cheap expectations. Very friendly check-in at Heathrow and Sydney. Chinese staff do not speak much English. Meal selection was "Chinese" or "Western" with menus offered on only Heathrow-Beijing and Beijing-London sections. No snacks in between meals and no amenity bag. Drinks were revolting - no ice and tea is warm and stewed black tea. Coffee has milk powder to add. Announcements in English impossible to understand, Captains' English was good on all flights. Overall, it lived up to expectations with good entertainment and the food was okay. Due to poor English and lack of assistance from staff, I would not recommend or fly again with this airline.

Air China Customer review :  3 February 2012 by D Chu    (Australia)

Sydney-Beijing-Paris, then Rome-Beijing to Sydney for a family holiday. That's four 12hr flights. As others have said, price is the only advantage of this airline ($1500 AUD return to Europe from Australia during new year). The plane's facilities were poorly maintained (seat cushions slip at awkward angles, TV screen falling apart or not working, poor selection of entertainment, toilets unkempt and food that was difficult to stomach). However, it was mainly the other passengers that made it worse - yelling, clearing their throats loudly, rude to staff, jamming their seats up and down violently, and worst of all, leaving the toilets a mess. Perhaps a single 12hr flight would have been tolerable, but 2 of them in a row was insufferable.

Air China Customer review :  31 January 2012 by Michael Moser    (Austria)

Round-trip from Hong Kong to Munich. The main reason for flying Air China was, no surprises, the price and that was also the best and only good thing about the flight. The food was atrocious, the plane worn out and the so-called entertainment system awful. The bathrooms were bad. Conclusion: everyone has their own priorities, but next time I'll pay extra to fly another airline.

Air China Customer review :  30 January 2012 by C Cagle    (USA)

LAX-PEK return. Food low quality, staff appeared when time for mandatory service, large screen viewing on main bulkhead without sound on both trips. They were older 747s. It seems staff had something to say at irregular intervals making it hard to try and sleep but they were very good at making business transactions, ignoring everyone so they could count money and look at receipts. You want a cheap very basic airline trip to China then this is the airline for you.