Air Canada rouge Passenger Reviews and Customer Trip Reports

Air Canada rouge
1.0 Star Rating: Very poor

1 2 3 4

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  4 March 2015 by J Curran    (UK)

Worst Airline I have flown! Flew AC1854 from Las Vegas to Toronto to connect with AC868 to London. Incoming arrived late into LAS. Incompetent gate staff could not facilitate a quick turnaround, so late departure. Late arrival at Toronto and then a frozen cabin door meant that we missed out connecting flight to London. Had to wait 10 hours for next flight. On flight there was No inboard entertainment, no food, cabin crew barely out of school. What a farce! This was booked as a United Airlines flight. Won't make that mistake again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  4 March 2015 by J Stirling    (USA)

Premium Rouge

Quite simply, the worst "business class" cabin I have ever had the misfortune of traveling in. "Premium" class seats on Air Canada Rouge are the exact same size as economy class seats. Flight was one hour late, and not properly groomed in between flights. Lots of garbage left on plane. Also heard a couple of elderly people complain at the gate, that no pre-boarding was being offered. Once airborne, service was non-existent. No meal offered on a 5 hour international flight? Again, this is supposed to be "premium" class. No blankets. Cabin was freezing. No seat back entertainment, iPads were offered that were glitchy, and the flight attendant seemed annoyed when I asked for ear buds. I could go on and on. Just a total disaster every step of the way. Air Canada is my airline of choice, but avoid Rouge at all costs. I usually only give reviews to companies when it's something positive and the service was remarkable. But Rouge is just remarkably bad. One star.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  4 March 2015 by W Jackson    (Canada)

I had the misfortune of getting placed on Rouge one year ago on a flight from Toronto to Kingston Jamaica, and again this year from Orlando to Toronto. I would simply confirm what most passengers have said in these reviews. Cramped, odd entertainment system, and all around sub par travelling experience. Reading the reviews made me feel fortunate that my flights were under 4 hours. I could not imagine doing a transatlantic or transpacific flight in one of these planes. I plan to be travelling far more in the next few years and this experience has sent me scrambling to explore West Jet, Porter, or US airlines.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  4 March 2015 by Brad Snelling    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

I have had consistently good service with them over the last 40 years I have flown with them (and I am not an employee!) AC Rouge is a leisure carrier and not a five star airline like Emirates. You get what you pay for. Granted, AC seriously screwed up by replacing out some of their key regular services with Rouge without telling customers. Not cool. That being said, this little airline is not bad. The crews, while young, are actually very pleasant and eager to please. The uniforms are smart and they seem proud to wear them (the hats are a nice touch too. The food was tasty and satisfying. Not super high class but nice to get something that didn't make you gag. The service was attentive and I appreciated the new premium seating in the 767's. My airplane was clean (even after a quick turnaround after a 6 hour weather delay). My only wish is that they had service like Sunwing where everyone got a meal and there was inflight entertainment (even on the screens overhead) for all. Personally, this airline is ok to fly for flights that are under 6 hours. Given the limited legroom, do spend the money and fly the other classes. They give you more room and more attention. Overall, I was nervous flying them after the horrendous reviews but in the end I really had a nice flight.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  4 March 2015 by P Thompson    (Canada)

Flew Rouge, Toronto to Phoenix 2 days ago. Knew it would be tight but they could put more padding on their seats. After a 5hour flight, back was extremely sore. Agree with others the flight attendants appear to have little to no experience. Purchased a business class meal in economy and it took them over 2 hr to collect the tray and plates. My husband had no room on his fold down tray. And when we asked for it to he taken attendant refused. To top everything off because things were so tight we accidentally left our passport holder on the plane and didn't realize until next day. Fortunately got passports back but money was stolen. So try to speak to someone to report the theft and AC states they have no one on the ground in Phoenix as they have a third party. But they don't even have contact numbers to report the theft. Next time will fly either WestJet or Prter with JetBlue.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  4 March 2015 by Novosad Alan    (Canada)

I have been flying with Air Canada for many years, mostly southern destinations. My last flight last week was with Rouge. Small, cramped and dirty. Cabin crew in cheap looking uniforms, but service was adequate. My major beef is the seating. After 4.5 hours my legs hurt and my back ached. Is this the best Air Canada can do, I hope not. Will look into other carriers that are willing to give me my moneys worth, it will never be Rouge again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  4 March 2015 by E Kotris    (Canada)

Flew between Toronto and Samana, Dominican Republic - Feb 7-14/15. Yes, the seats are extremely cramped, and the armrest between my partner and I wouldn't stay up (to allow us a bit of extra room). Heaven forbid the person in front of you reclines. The least they could do is give you a free sandwich on flights over 3.5 hours. Brought my own iPad with ACRouge app downloaded, but the content was severely lacking (old, old, TV shows and movies). But the service was attentive and friendly (both at check-in and on-board), and the flight was on time both ways. Could have been worse.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  4 March 2015 by Wade Kevin    (Canada)

Toronto to Santa Clara, Cuba, Feb 20 back Feb 27 2015. Airbus 319. Same trip last year but in B767. That was comfortable compared to this. Okay its the discount airline division of Air Canada. But its still 'Air Canada". On time for both flights. We take our seats in Toronto (B,C16) and the folding tray I use is down on the left side. I have to use my arm to stop things from sliding off. Leg room is at its limits. I'm a small guy. No entertainment unless you rent it or carry your own on with you. I listen to audio books I'm good to go. Return trip (A,B27) Where did the leg room go. I must have got rid of that tension and gained height or leg length. Sitting squarely in my seat (window) and my knees were at the seat in front of me. The guy in front of me was getting in his seat and the backrest side against the bulkhead looked like it was going to twist off and break from the seat. Each time he moved in his seat, which was a lot because he also was uncomfortable. I was getting kicked in the knee with the aluminium crossbar from his seat. From my chest to his seat back was 13-14 inches. Doing some reading from the en-route Magazine and the fleet seating setup. Not quite the vacation memory I would have liked to have had this year Air Canada. My luggage didn't fly home to BC with me to top it all off.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  4 March 2015 by Matthew Sills    (Canada)

Have flown Air Canada Rouge twice, both times Vancouver to Las Vegas. First time we got an email telling us about IPAD Wifi based entertainment system - download the App and make sure your IPAD is charged. I prefer this entertainment system to the low res pound the seat back screens on AC. Better picture and sound. Most times I won't watch a good movie on AC because I would rather watch it at home on my big screen, but I don't mind watching on my IPAD. The seats are merely OK, but not instruments of torture like some people maintain. Read the in flight magazine to compare the AC vs ACRouge layout and you will see how many more seats they have jammed in. I can understand people being ticked paying Biz class for Premium Rouge, as there is no comparison. Both trips YVR- LAS were on time. Staff are young and can be a little snippy, but consider how many people they have jammed into the aircraft. I am not complaining as I got great value Whitehorse to Las Vegas - $212.00 all in and LV to Van for $175.00. I am 63 years old, 5"10" 170 lbs and I had no trouble walking etc after the flights.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  4 March 2015 by Nicholson Lyle    (Canada)

We flew Rouge on Dec 31st to Honolulu and were not impressed. We had originally booked this flight with Air Canada, and to our surprise it was changed to Rouge. We thought, okay, we'll give them a try. The flight crew was very ,inexperienced, which was understandable, but they didn't even seem to try to make the passengers feel comfortable. Once we were in the air, and they passed through the cabin once we didn't see them again until just before landing. They were slow in loading in the plane in Vancouver, and in Honolulu they didn't seem to have clue as to what they were doing. The service on the return trip was even worse than the flight over. I saw several comments about how cold the plane were, and how uncomfortable the seats were. We had the premium economy, which were the seats with extra leg room, and really not much of a bargain, but much better than what economy looked like. In the future, I'll look for something else than Rouge. I think this is bad idea from Air Canada. WestJet crams their passengers in the seats but at least comes by to see how their doing. Rouge doesn't have the low cost model with the caring attitude.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  4 March 2015 by Perreca Florence    (Canada)

Flew Air Canada Rouge Toronto to Cancun 4 hour flight, that's about all you can take sitting in that little seat, the seats are the most uncomfortable seats I have ever experienced, if the seat in front of you reclines it feels even worse. The seats are small, no inflight entertainment, if want you can rent an Ipad which is pre loaded with movies the plane we were on was dated and old. One wash room was out of order. Drinks of water and pop served once during flight. Flight attendants are not very friendly you feel like your bothering them if your asking for a drink of water. Cash call for the airline and no consideration for the people who can only afford economy class tickets. I will never fly Rouge again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  4 March 2015 by G West    (Canada)

Booked our Jan, 2015 family vacation flight with rouge, YYZ to MCO. First time on rouge and yes, the economy seat was tight for me, 6', fine for my shorter wife and young son, although tolerable for me for this short of a flight, anything longer than 3 hours would be uncomfortable. But I knew all this before our flight, A/C tells you the seat pitch, and everything else, such as inflight entertainment, on their web page and through emails, multiple times. So it was exactly what I expected and paid for, inexpensive basic transport to Orlando, FL. Flights were on time, both ways, service personal were friendly and competent, aircraft was clean, food/drinks were fine. Will fly again, if fairs remain inexpensive.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  4 March 2015 by Louise Hildreth    (Canada)

We were originally going to book our vacation package (6 adults, 4 kids) through WestJet because Air Canada Vacations did not have a package to the Marina El Cid. The travel agent offered us the option to book our flights with Air Canada then book transfer and hotel separately. We were very happy to choose that option since Air Canada was recommended as "the best". On Feb 18th we flew to Cancun on Air Canada Rouge and will never fly Rouge again. We had a 4.5 hr delay due to mechanical issues. We arrived at the airport at 5.30 am for our 8.30 flight. Between 6.43 am and 7.42 am the departure time changed 4 times. (11.00, 12.00, 13.30 and finally 13.00). We rec'd a $10.00 food voucher per person, which we all know does not get you much in an airport. A sandwich and a drink was min $12.00. Not long after take off my sister in law went to the bathroom and came back to report that it smelt. The inflight entertainment system is a joke. The leg room is so cramped. We did receive a promo code for a discount on a future booking, no idea how much of a discount but will probably never use it as it seems that all flights to sun destinations are with Rouge, so disappointing. Hopefully when we are ready to book our Feb 2016 family vacation (10-12 people) Rouge will be gone and Air Canada Vacations will be a contender again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  4 March 2015 by M Wright    (Canada)

Recently returned from Honolulu to Toronto. Never heard of Rouge before and never want to hear of it again. You would think on an 8.5+ hour, international flight that entertainment and meals would be a given, without having to purchase. We were not aware there wouldn't be food. We are not big people but have never been so uncomfortable on a flight. Seats were far too close and didn't seem to have any padding. Plane also appeared quite dirty. The staff were neither friendly or unfriendly, just seemed to be doing a job (probably hoping they would soon be transferred to the better planes!).

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  24 February 2015 by D Collett    (Canada)

Second time flying Rouge. Air Canada should take their name off of this disaster of a discount carrier as it will kill their overall reputation. Our first trip was with our 2 year old to Florida. Flight was delayed 7 hours with no information as to why. When we got to Orlando we had to wait an addition 3 hours for our bags. This flight is to Cancun. Was supposed to leave at 10 am, finally left at 7.30pm. Again no reasons given. Flight was packed and seats were cramped. I could go on and on about all the negatives but Rouge is a disaster. I have always liked Air Canada but Rouge has killed all the goodwill Air Canada had built up with me over the years.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  24 February 2015 by Anita M Howe    (Canada)

I traveled from Toronto to Cancun 1/22/15 and returned 1/29/15 on Air Canada Rouge. After having read so many negative reviews I was prepared for a poor experience. Fortunately, I had just the opposite. The plane was clean and the attendants were pleasant and professional. I was disappointed, however, with the collection of chewing gum left by previous passengers in an unreachable space between the floor and the window. Surely gum could be disposed of in a more sanitary way. Food was adequate and no more, but I've had worse on regular flights. For a discount airline, I received what I paid for and commend the staff for super attitude.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  24 February 2015 by Nicole E Poynter    (Canada)

When I first read all the terrible reviews for Air Canada Rouge I was very reluctant to travel with them. I couldn't believe how angry people were. So needless to say, I expected the worst but I chose to make the best of it because my trip had already been booked. I had a fantastic trip! Comparable to any flight I've taken with AC or otherwise. The seating was a bit tight but comfortable enough (granted I am a shorter person). Limited storage space so best to bring a carry-on that you can fit under your seat. The food was delicious and the best price for airplane food I've seen. A large glass of wine, a sandwich, and a snack for 13.50. The movie selection had plenty to choose from and entertainment app was easy enough to use. Flight arrival was on time both ways. Staff were very nice and helpful. So I may be alone in this, but I would definitely fly Rouge again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  24 February 2015 by Digiacomo Thomas    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

Why would Air Canada put Rouge planes on flights to Phoenix and San Diego when they have almost a monopoly of these flights and always full. Just to give less service. Had booked premium rouge and pre-chose seats. On return they switched my seats so my wife and I were now not together. This is taking care of customers. Avoid Rouge whenever it's possible. I will now fly Alitalia to Italy if AC keeps these old planes on the route.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  24 February 2015 by S Taylor    (Canada)

Seven hour delay and had to camp out in Maui airport that had no services. Filthy aircraft interior, small cramped seats, only food was what was left on the plane (sushi for breakfast) from the previous trip from Vancouver. Young inexperienced flight attendants, inadequate in air entertainment with old movies and TV series no one has ever heard of, if you didn't have an iPad and wanted to rent one there aren't enough for the plane, no duty free on international flight. Hard to believe that Rouge was created to compete with the likes of Westjet and they missed the mark big time. All the captive, popular destinations will be populated with Rouge so the service we are all used to with Air Canada will be gone. I find it hard to believe I'd say that I'd rather fly United now but it looks that way.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  24 February 2015 by G Rumohr    (Canada)

We flew home from Los Angeles to Vancouver yesterday and unfortunately had to fly with Air Canada rouge. This was the worst flight I have experienced! There were only three flight attendants for the entire Airbus and no one was over 24 years old! Talk about inexperience! Only one attendant was serving beverages to the economy section and it took a painful two hours to complete! The seats were very uncomfortable and we were unable to get our knees straight in front of us. The back of the seats had no support which made for the most uncomfortable three hour flight! Never again will we use the services of Air Canada.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  24 February 2015 by Lawlor Maureen    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

AC1224, Jan 26 2015, Toronto to Fort Lauderdale. Return: Feb 6th 2015, AC 939. Fort Lauderdale to Toronto. Air Canada cater to the handicap. Helping them in and out of their airline seat, we had priority seating throughout. Departure and arrival, the porters were wonderful, taking you right to the exit making sure you got into handicap taxi. The food onboard was nice, hot when came to seat. Staff were patient.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  18 February 2015 by P Cormier    (Canada)

Flew Vancouver/Honolulu and back on A/C Rouge Jan/Feb 2015. First thing I noticed after boarding was how dirty the aircraft was, looked like it wasn't groomed in weeks. Seats were cramped, very little cushioning, cabin was extremely cold during flight, didn't provide blankets or pillows. Will never fly Rouge again, I'll spend the extra $$$ and fly with a real airline next time I head to Hawaii.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  18 February 2015 by R Millard    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

We were booked home in January 2015, on an Air Canada Rouge flight and charged full points by Aeroplan as per the normal Business Class on Air Canada flights. I do not know how Air Canada can pass off this "Business Class" on their Rouge flight as equal to their normal Business Class accommodation which they offer. Clearly, I questioned the Aeroplan representative when told we would fly home on Rouge and was told it is the same as regular Air Canada Business Class, although not the pods, but with adequate comfort and leg room. To say that the seating was inadequate, would be an understatement. We have traveled Air Canada Business Class annually YVR to OGG and have never encountered such sub-standard cramped seating with minimal leg room. My husband and I are tall people, this being one of the reasons we choose Business or Executive Class. I was barely able to walk when we finally landed in Vancouver. This type of accommodation can cause a health issue for many people. You charge for Executive Class and provide less than adequate Economy seating. Since 2004 we have travelled to Maui annually and paid the extra Aeroplan points for the comfort of the Business Class. In our estimation we got less than Economy. Most of the Canadians whom we encountered on Maui, who had flown Air Canada Rouge Business Class, were horrified and the reports we received were of great concern to us. Even though we had been privy to these negative comments we felt that being Air Canada it could not be that unsatisfactory. Therefore, based on past experience, we embarked upon this flight with open minds. We were quite incorrect, it was far worse than anything we could have imagined. This is gross misrepresentation on the part of Aeroplan and Air Canada. If Rouge is the only flight Air Canada is offering between Vancouver and the Hawaiian islands, then we will be seeking flights with other airlines in the future. At best it was "Cattle Class" accommodation. I can only imagine the cramped conditions for the people in Economy.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  18 February 2015 by P Cormier    (Canada)

What an embarrassment for Air Canada. I have spent the last 3 or 4 years defending the "new" Air Canada for the quality and safety of travel with them (you know the drill about their "award winning" status). After my family's Rouge experience I am back at square 0. Let me count off the ways Rouge made us see red on our recent trip to Hawaii: 1) highly punishing and inefficient boarding process both in Vancouver and in Honolulu, 2) primitive entertainment services, 3) a 1980s vintage and obsolete B-767 where essential functions, like lighting to read by, didn't work, 4) hours of discomfort in seats that hinted at promiscuity (that's how close they are to each other front to back and side to side), 5) a Rouge crew that was decidedly green (we figure that this must be a training ground for new Air Canada staff, and the perky uniform is decidedly weird). So, my family's take is: avoid AC Rouge and go WestJet or take a US carrier, even if it costs more.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  18 February 2015 by C Forman    (Canada)

We got rouged too. What a terrible airline. First off, no in-flight entertainment. Unless you knew that prior and downloaded the AirCanadaRouge App to your iPad. If you have $10 you can rent an iPad? The only entertainment you get is watching other passengers painfully adjust in their seats. Even less legroom than any other plane! Are you hot? Well, there aren't any personal air vents. Hope you ate before you got on board or brought your own snack because you won't be getting a crumb from this airline. Maybe they should have saved money by not buying fedoras for the airline crew. Oh and all the airline attendants look like 19 yr old kids.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  18 February 2015 by G Mitchell    (Canada)

Flew Air Canada Rouge from Montreal to Orlando and then Orlando back to Toronto. The staff were young but very professional and friendly. Very impressed. The complementary drinks were as excepted and I hate airplane food so I was very happy no one included myself was buying any. Both flights I was able to get preferred economy seats at no charge (once at airline kiosk and once at the gate) Had exit row seats both flights and i have never had so much leg room and recline in economy. It is worth paying extra for preferred economy because the back of the plane looked like a sardine jar! Overall extremely satisfied! My only complaint is that you can watch entertainment with the android app which is so stupid as far more people have android than apple!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  18 February 2015 by D Olson    (Canada)

Feb 14, Vancouver to Honolulu, flight 7 hours delayed. This flight has run late most days over the past 2 months. Service on board poor - traveller requesting full can of Coke was denied and got a lecture from attendant that she still had several passengers to serve. Time to switch to Westjet.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  18 February 2015 by R Jensen    (Canada)

Vancouver to Honolulu - The AC was "entire cabin" type (no small control like regular planes) and we had to keep our coats on for the full trip both ways because of cold drafts. The Flight Attendants quietly agreed.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  18 February 2015 by S Dore    (Canada)

I flew Air Canada Rouge for the first time last week (YYZ to Honolulu) - it was the worst flight I have ever taken and I fly frequently. The seats were extremely small/cramped, and at 6'1, I had nowhere near enough room. I was surprised how many seats they crammed onto an old 767. The staff were not very helpful or courteous, and with no seatback display system, we had to use our own device to access entertainment via wifi. Most of the people seated around me didn't realize that you needed to download the Air Canada Rouge app beforehand, and they were out of luck (or had to rent one of their tablets). I was able to use my phone to connect, but there was no wifi access for the first hour of the flight, and it was intermittent at best afterwards with frequent dropouts and long waits for reconnections. The tablet concept does not work. I am disappointed that AC has transitioned/downgraded many of their holiday destinations to Rouge service, and will be looking to alternatives i.e. West jet. I will never fly AC Rouge again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  18 February 2015 by James Blackwell    (Canada)

AC 1827 on 28 January, Vancouver to Kahului, Maui. First time flying on Air Canada Rouge. Excellent flight. Will have to see if the same service is on the return flight.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 February 2015 by L Ketchian    (Canada)

I flew 3 times with AC Rouge in 2014. Twice to the Dominican Republic and once to Rome from Montreal. Not a very good experience, very tight seating, no entertainment, and the plane to Rome was an old Boeing 767 that needed overhauling. Service was mediocre, and their outfits looked ridicules. From now on I will try to avoid AC Rouge.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 February 2015 by Jared Mitchell    (Canada)

Air Canada rouge is the worst airline I have ever flown. Not only have they crammed in extra rows of seats ensuring the most cramped flight experience, they still let the seats recline which puts the seat in front of you in your face. I did not have a choice in airlines as I redeemed aeroplan miles, and spent the same amount as if I had flown on AC but got stuck on rouge. The fact that Air Canada is switching sun and fun destinations to Rouge has made the decision to switch to Westjet an easy one. At least the loyalty miles (Westjet dollars) will actually get me on a Westjet plane!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 February 2015 by Diane Hutchinson    (Canada)

Flew from Vancouver to Phoenix - had no idea how uncomfortable the seats were when I booked the flight otherwise would have chosen a different airline. I have some hip/sciatica issues and suffered for days after. Will not fly on Rouge ever again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 February 2015 by G Phyllis    (Canada)

Recently travelled AC Rouge to/from Cuba. This was a short flight of 3.5 hours. The seats were comfortable but not roomy. My husband and I left the arm rest, between us, in the upright position so did not feel as restricted. There is no on-board entertainment but I-Pads could be rented for $10.00. We had researched the airline and were aware of the lack of entertainment so we were prepare with our own - book, cross stitch, music, crossword puzzles etc. The food provided (charged to your credit card) was fresh and tasty. The flight attendants were very young and needed a bit more experience in customer service. TIP - book your seat prior to flight and near the front section of the plane, sometime run out of food choices by the time they get to the back part of the plane. Would not want to take AC Rouge on a much longer flight. There is not a lot of room between the seats and almost nil when the person in the seat in front of you reclines their seat.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 February 2015 by T Wetterberg    (Canada)

Flew from Vancouver to Maui and back. We booked on points and quite frankly I had no idea what Rouge was before we even boarded the plane. Biggest complaint was about lack of in-flight entertainment. As a parent with two younger kids, in-flight movies are a lifesaver. I was floored to see that missing. Did we have other options - yes. We had our own ipad, books, etc. What was galling was to be told "you can access movies from your ipad but only if you have the app downloaded first". Of course that is useless advice once in the air, so guess what? We have iPads for rent for $10. It's the nickel-and-diming on every last thing possible that drives me nuts. The plane was huge, and full and yes, seats are cramped. I am 5'8 and did okay, my husband though at 6'4, it was an agonizing trip, particularly the red-eye on the way back. Finally, the crew. They all looked very young and the inexperience showed. A young Dad wasn't seated with his wife, infant and toddler and was told to "ask around to see if someone will switch". He said "I was told you would help me with that" to which the response was "there will be lots of people who'll want to switch if you ask around." Not sure if she ever did lend assistance. There are other nitpicky things (flight was more than an hour late leaving Maui), etc. Nothing was disastrous, but all the little annoyances add up. I am officially done. To be charged for every little thing, plus have poor service and the prices aren't even that much better? No thanks, I'm out!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 February 2015 by N Mulholland    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

Terrible aircraft equipment track record. Both my flight from Honolulu to Vancouver went mechanical and eventually cancelled after 7 hours of indecisiveness from the Air Rouge crew and now last night from Vancouver to Honolulu we took off and had to turn back around because of mechanical problems again and the flight was cancelled. The "Premium rouge" seats are Business class prices but no way Business class seats. What a downgrade from Air Canada's lay flat Business class seats. I am contemplating flying economy on Westjet.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 February 2015 by Susan Falkenberg    (Canada)

I have travelled with Air Canada in the past, and did not hesitate to book a flight with Rouge thinking that it would be a similar experience. I was so wrong! I travelled from Toronto to Phoenix. While waiting at the gate, the staff were so disorganized, they were not able to board the passengers in a timely fashion. There were 5 boarding groups. They called the first, second and third in rapid succession so there were very long lines that were taking very long time to process. Once on the plane there was not adequate space for my carry on. I was told I had to check it. Since I have medications in the bag that I cannot be without, I refused to check the bag. The stewardess asked me to remove the medication from my bag and keep it in my purse or under my seat. It would have been embarrassing! In order to remedy this situation in the future, perhaps Rouge should not allow people to place backpacks and smaller items that can fit under the seat in the overhead bins so more room would be available for carry on bags. Then place coats and jackets in the bins after the bags are in place. The plane was so full that I had to sit on my winter coat for the entire 4 hour flight as there was not even a space for my coat. Not too comfortable. I paid the same price or more than my last Air Canada flight Toronto to Phoenix, so Rouge is not even offering a more economical flight. More than likely more profit for the airline, less comfort for the passenger.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 February 2015 by I Richard    (Canada)

Flew on an early morning flight from YVR to LAX. As soon as I boarded the plane, I was a little taken aback at how many seats there were (and I travel a lot and have seen a lot of aircraft). I sat in 51F which is right at the back of the plane (as in last row). It's a 3 seater row (with adjustable arm rests) so I had plenty of space to move around freely. However, any other of the seating and it would be a very tight fit. I'm a larger guy so I tend to get the aisle seat but I found that the rest of the craft would've been very cramped for my size. Just enough leg room, I'm 5"9 and I was barely touching the seat in front of me. Any taller and it would be painful.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 February 2015 by M McKenzie    (Canada)

Just flew on Air Canada Rouge from Toronto to Cancun and back. I must admit after seeing these reviews I was a little nervous. But I thought I would give them a chance, especially since it was our honeymoon. On the flight down we were coming from Thunder Bay to meet the connection in Toronto. When checking in in Thunder Bay we were told we would be getting our seats numbers when we get to the gate. I later realized that this was a fancy way of saying the plane was overbooked and we were chosen to be bumped. However we were able to get on the flight and my wife and I were able to sit together. On the flight down the staff were very cheery and in a good mood. After this first flight I thought I might be giving them a good review. The seats are a little cramped, but it was not too bad for four hours. The way back was pretty bad. So when we check-in in Cancun, the agent said that the plane was overbooked and asking us if we would volunteer to spend the night. My wife and I both had commitments back home so we said no. So they gave us our tickets and once again told us we would get our seat numbers at the gate. Translation: If people show up, you are still getting bumped. We both got on the flight but were unable to even sit anywhere close to each other. We asked if could be switched, but we were told no. Ironically the lady was beside was by herself too, so they were just too lazy to figure it out. The staff on the way back seemed very miserable. My wife told me she had to flag down someone to order food, even though she had her credit card out ready to pay. And they didn't even give her a declaration card. Thankfully in Canada you can fill one out for the entire family. While I admit that the entertainment system is very innovative, it did crash from time to time. So make sure you have some back up entertainment on your devices. The fact that we were almost bumped on our honeymoon is very discouraging. I would say stick to WestJet, Sunwing or Air Transat. I can't wait until Porter starts doing tropical destinations. However I would not recommend Rouge, unless you are prepared to be bumped and you don't mind the cramped space.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 February 2015 by Follett Neil    (Canada)

I've had concerns with AC's quality for some years but a recent flight to Phoenix on AC Rouge finally sealed its fate as far as I am concerned. I am 6'4" tall, 280 pounds. How I got into the seat I will never know. The poor person in front of me had my knees in their back and simply wasn't able to recline their seat. I'm used to AC staff being frumpy with a 'can't be bothered' attitude but this flight hit a new low. Rude, abrupt, ignoring requests, dealing sandwiches like cards from a deck, I could go on. The final humiliation was, that after a 4.5 hour flight, my legs were totally numb (as was my rear). It took three passengers and an AC staff member to heave me out of the seat and support me while the circulation returned. I changed to another airline for the return flight. I will never fly AC again. I will pay extra for another airline, take a stop over, change my route but never again AC. I am ashamed to be Canadian with you as the national airline.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  6 February 2015 by Karen Kalemkiarian    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

My husband and I flew business class last week to Cancun from Toronto and return. We couldn't have asked for more attentive flight attendants, good food and emphasis on detail. Was a little hesitant about flying Rouge for the first time after all the bad reviews but sometimes I think the passenger in the seat might be the problem. Congratulations to Air Canada for their creation of Rouge, couldn't have asked for a better flight and flight crew.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 February 2015 by M Mosher    (Canada)

I find Air Canada Rouge airplanes from Toronto-Phoenix and return to be very cramped. As well, the entertainment system is, in my opinion, very poor. The selection for those who have their own iPad is less than for those who rent an Air Canada Rouge iPad. I really wish that there was an option to fly this route, at least once a week, with the main airline, Air Canada.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 February 2015 by R Marley    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

It's Canada's answer to Europe's Ryanair. They're making a few extra bucks by cramming more very uncomfortable seats onto an Airbus 319. The "entertainment" streaming which replaces the usual video screens is a joke, unless you enjoy watching endless commercials and the lamest movies on the market. My biggest problem is that Air Canada, on certain routes, no longer gives you a choice between a regular flight and "budget" Rouge. Fortunately we were flying Vancouver to Palm Springs ( only 2.5 - 3 hours). Pity the fools who are on long haul Rouge flights. I'd be tearing my hair out! The high school kids who were pretending to be flight attendants were enthusiastic and doing their best but as mentioned in another comment are they prepared for an emergency situation.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 February 2015 by Marsala Graham    (Canada)

We flew YYZ to Phoenix (5 hour flight) and I was in constant pain from the seats. While waiting for bags at the destination (which took 90 minutes) most of the passengers we talked to said the same thing - never again Rouge. Air Canada has embarked on a strange experiment to find out how much people will pay to avoid extreme inconvenience and physical distress.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 February 2015 by D O'Neill    (Canada)

Toronto to Phoenix, Dec 13th 2014, AC1849. Phoenix to Toronto, Jan 10th 2015, AC1848. There is simply no leg room in economy for an average height adult. It was incredibly uncomfortable for the duration of the flight. Will have to find an alternative airline.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 February 2015 by Andi Houdayer    (Canada)

This is one of the worst airlines that I have flown. Maybe they should spend as much time taking courses in courtesy as they do on those ridiculous outfits. I boarded the plane and had to put my ticket into my pocket because I had a full hot coffee in my one hand and a very heavy fragile bag in the other hand. Upon entering the plane, I already knew my seat number in my head. The attendant demanded to know what seat I was in. I told her and kept moving. She then got belligerent with me and demanded to see my ticket. I told her that I don't have a third hand and my ticket was put away. She jumped in front of me to keep me from walking forward and demanded yet again to see my ticket. I have flown this airline maybe 5-6 times now and all of their flight attendants are rude. The physical plane was fine, the flying was fine, the snacks were fine, but the attendants - not fine.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  6 February 2015 by R Cavallaro    (Canada)

I have travelled AC Rouge a few times in Premium and this was my first in economy and have to say I truly do not like the AC Rouge concept at all. They have taken all the fun away from travelling on vacation and cheapened the Air Canada brand considerably. I am an elite status AC member and really struggling with continuing to give Air Canada any more of my business because of this. The service is mediocre at best and the whole ipad concept does not work. The movies are old and it is too awkward to deal with. Overall a truly unappealing experience.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  6 February 2015 by S Leed    (Canada)

I'm a frequent flyer with lifetime status and fly about 150k a year. This was my first and last rouge flight. Economy seating was terrible. There's absolutely no room. When comparing economy seating and space on rouge to other airlines, other airlines' economy seating is huge. I thought sardines had it bad, but then again the sardines are typically dead before being canned. I now know what a sardine feels like. I'll be taking another airline. To Air Canada, bring back normal service!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  30 January 2015 by Christine Simpson    (Canada)

If I had to fly Rouge Economy always I would quit travelling. I am a regular BC Client and on short notice had to fly Rouge. All they are doing with this service is making me fly other airlines. I am forced to fly Rouge Premium to Costa Rica Feb. 23rd and purposely choose American Airlines with a Layover in Miami of 3 hours for the trip home as I prefer their business class.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  28 January 2015 by Mark Knight    (Canada)

On way to Orlando I got bumped to Premium rouge as a frequent flier. Unfortunately, no Premium class provided. On the way back I flew in Economy class. Worst flight ever being cramped, and bum hurt which never happens even during a 15 hour flight. People beside me also could not believe this bus class service. Flight Attendants nice but what cheesy outfits. Air Canada what happened to you! As a frequent flier they are giving me too many reasons not to be a loyal customer.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  28 January 2015 by Mary Leger    (Canada)

I had no idea what Air Canada 'Rouge' was until I experienced it on a trip from Toronto to Tampa on January 13, 2015. Everything you read in the unflattering reviews is true. However, to add insult to injury, we had a full flight with no water in either of the washrooms! There was what appeared to be a well-worn sign in the washrooms apologizing for the lack of water, and a supply of little individual towelettes to wipe your hands afterwards. On the trip back when the stewardess asked if I wanted a drink, I asked first whether there was water in the washroom this time before deciding whether or not to drink anything. I will never travel Air Canada Rouge again. I will fly another airline for my next trip to Florida in a few months time just to avoid the inconvenience of no leg room (and I'm barely 5 foot tall), discomfort of thinly padded seats, inability to get in and out of any seats but the aisle, nothing to ease boredom - not even a used newspaper from a previous flight. By far the most uncomfortable flight I have ever been on.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  28 January 2015 by Robert Ablamowicz    (Canada)

Rouge does an injustice to Air Canada mainline. I am an AC frequent flyer and will look for alternate carriers if the only option is Rouge. Flight to Tampa on January 18th was a 18.50 departure and we got off the ground at 00.30 on the 19th. Trip home on the 23rd was delayed over 3 hours. Not sure what the issues were but weather was not one of them. I have no problem with one delay but two in a week makes me think that these folks have some issues. Seats also leave something to be desired and Rouge should be renamed Crampjet!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  28 January 2015 by S Hillyer    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

Flew to Dominican. I agree with all other reviews. Worst leg room ever. Expect lots of leg related health issues in the future because you truly cannot move your legs while inflight. I fly with AC frequently but will be looking at other options. I do not carry my IPAD with me, nor do I wish to rent one for $10.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  28 January 2015 by A Gyba    (Canada)

Firstly flight delayed 6 hours out of YYZ to LAS. Sure breakdowns happen. I was tracking the history of the aircraft online and it has been broken down and attempted to be put back into service 4 times in a week. I am 6 foot tall and the lack of leg room was not only insulting it is bordering on a health and safety issue. Air Canada Rouge would rather make the extra few bucks off cramming a few more seats on the plane than worry about whether passengers will be able to walk again after flying with them. I am so upset that I have cancelled my return flight with this airline.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  26 January 2015 by D Hay    (Canada)

Flew Toronto to Tampa on January 6. Air Canada Rouge is the only AC option on this route. Flight attendants tried their hardest and were pleasant. Only two of them, however, so service was very slow. Seats are worst I have ever flown - no leg room, hard and thin seat cushions. I'm 192 cm, and my knees were stuck against the seat in front of me. Everything about the experience was cheap, cheap, cheap. Price was no different than regular AC service. I've been a regular and loyal AC customer for many, many years. I would avoid AC Rouge and switch airlines if this is the only service AC would offer on the route I wanted. Trip satisfaction 4 out of 10 because we arrived safe and sound, not because of the inflight experience!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  26 January 2015 by Linda Amaral    (Canada)

I will never travel Air Canada Rouge again. If you are booking a cheap flight their service may be fine, but when you book an all inclusive vacation with Air Canada and have to pay for baggage check-in, food, and entertainment it is not acceptable. The seats were uncomfortable for a 5 hour flight. $10 to rent an I-pad for entertainment. No in flight music or movie without the rental. Not everyone has an I-pad or takes it on their vacation. Pre- booking seats can only be done by calling Air Canada and waiting on line for 45 minutes or longer. I will never book another Vacation with Air Canada.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  23 January 2015 by K Hamer    (Canada)

AC1837, December 30 2014, Toronto to Phoenix Arizona. I normally enjoy flying Air Canada, even tango is more preferred than other airlines. Air Canada Rouge is the least comfortable airline I've ever been on. I am 5'5" and if I didn't sit up perfectly straight my knees touched the back of the seat in front of me. My boyfriend who is 6"3' was quite a bit larger then the space that he was provided. The poor person in front of us had issues reclining because his knees were in her seat. Air Canada is great as long as there is no rouge tacked on at the end.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  23 January 2015 by F Habbouche    (Canada)

e flew from Vancouver to Kahului on Air Canada Rouge AC1827 and back on AC1828 a week ago. Alas, this might be the last time we use this airline as it was the most uncomfortable seating and rudest crew. My back is still hurting after a week and we cancelled a trip to Hawaii that was coming up due to Air Canada Rouge. The crew was, as usual, arrogant and unprofessional. They decided to turn all the lights on half away through the red eye flight, to distribute beverages while everyone was trying to sleep. As for the price, there is no difference with mainstream Air Canada. You pay the same for a horrible experience.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  23 January 2015 by Baglieri Paul    (Canada)

Flew from Montreal to Rome on Sept/18/2014 and returned Oct/18/2014. This was the worst experience of my life. Never again. Air Canada should be ashamed, you are so cramped in your seat that can hardly breathe.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  23 January 2015 by James Newbury    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

AC1831. Jan 10 2015. Absolutely awful. Paid for business class and got hostility class. Attendants terrible. Seating worse than economy on other flights. Will never fly AC again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  23 January 2015 by M Singh    (Canada)

We flew Air Canada thinking we'll be getting a basic level of comfort common to all Air Canada planes, but what a mistake. Didn't know about Rouge. There's no leg room, minimal service, no comfort, no space in the overhead since people bring large carry-ons to avoid paying for checked-in luggage. The almost 5 hr flight to Phoenix from Toronto was painfully boring with the in-flight entertainment consisting of online streaming of old movies and shows. We had to bear all this again on the flight back!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  21 January 2015 by Saunders Shawn    (Canada)

Have travelled several times between Toronto to Phoenix - always a good service. Went on Rouge, the worst flight ever. Did not tell us we had to download an app to get inflight entertainment until 15 mins in the air so nothing to watch on the 5 hr flight. Packed in like cattle, no leg room.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  21 January 2015 by E Brown    (UK)

Toronto to Fort Lauderdale. Return from Fort Lauderdale to Ottawa. As many have said, cramped. Rouge, is overpriced. Reminded me of cheap flights UK to Spain 25 years ago. Yet, for what one gets, Rouge is not a cheap option. But at least the crew got us there and with a soft landing.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  21 January 2015 by R Klein    (Canada)

Brutal seats. I am 6'4" and could barely get into the seat. The passenger in front of me insisted on reclining his seat back. The AC Rouge website states that the slimline seats provide more room and more comfort. My legs are still swollen from the flight. The only good thing about flight 1892 YYZ to Tampa on January 16 was the inflight cabin attendants. I will never fly Rouge again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  21 January 2015 by Luby Deborah    (Canada)

Less leg room than usual, no inflight entertainment, no hot meal for an almost 6 hour flight (If you want something you have to purchase it off their very limited food cart), and limited space in their overhead compartments. My husband was asked to hold our carry-on bag on his lap during take-off because there was no room in the overhead compartments and the bag did not fit under our seat. The staff on flight 1786 were not at all accommodating. Both my husband and I are not complainers but the service you get with Air Canada Rouge is totally unacceptable. They give you nothing for your money.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  19 January 2015 by R Babin    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

I flew with Rouge from YUL to SAN last year and was disappointed after using my eUpgrades to find out I was in the front of he airplane which is no different from Economy class in Air Canada. The seats were nothing like business class, the service was so so, we got an IPad for inflight entertainment and it felt like a 'charter type' airline. I wasn't aware that my flight was with Rouge so I was very disappointed when I entered the airplane and realized I was on the discount flight and had used my upgrades for this. I go to San Diego a couple of times a year and I will probably fly with United from now on since Air Canada doesn't give us an option to use Rouge when connecting to Canada.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  19 January 2015 by Robert Kindrachuk    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

Vancouver to Honolulu. Booked Air Canada in Feb 2014, got changed to Rouge. Worst flying experience ever. Flight to Honolulu was 1 hour late, returning flight was over 3 hours late. Seats are uncomfortable with no legroom, even in Premium class. We were charged the same prices as Air Canada, nothing on Rouge is close to a regular Air Canada flight. We have flown many low cost carriers in Europe for 1/10 the cost with better service. Will never fly Rouge again, it is awful. Inflight entertainment is a real laugh. My wife and I are regular Air Canada customers. I would rate trip satisfaction, value for money, and seat comfort 0 as other passengers have done.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  19 January 2015 by Judith Tompkins    (Canada)

Traveled to Phoenix, Dec 18th for two weeks holiday and booked Air Canada as usual. One week prior to departure rec'd an Air Rouge email - oh well, had no idea what it was. Now I can inform you - it was awful - a throw back to Air Transat planes 20 to 25 years ago. The seats were so close you could not sit with your legs straight if you are tall and you could not cross your legs let alone your ankles. Once the person ahead put her seat back, I could not move or would have hit my head on the back of her seat. There ought to be a law re safety -- none of us would have been able to move to get out in an emergency and what about health insuch cramped quarters. The correct spelling is not "Air Rouge" - it is "Air Ruse"! I will never take an Air Rouge flight again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  19 January 2015 by Roy Allan Harris    (Canada)

On January 8, 2015 I had the displeasure of being a passenger on Air Canada Rouge flight 1828 from Maui to Vancouver, and prior to that Air Canada Rouge flight 1827 from Vancouver to Maui. I begin by comparing the regular Air Canada Boeing 767 to the Rouge Boeing 767. You will note from the seating chart that the regular Air Canada Boeing 767 has 39 rows with eight passengers per row. The Rouge aircraft has 49 rows. The additional ten rows undoubtedly speaks volumes to the uncomfortable seating mentioned by many. Like many of the previous commentators, I have been a member of the Air Canada Altitude 50K group for years. In good faith I booked with Air Canada to discover my flight to be with Rouge. The Rouge seats are extremely uncomfortable and offer an average sized passenger little if any leg room. Your knees are crushed when the passenger in front moves their seat back. Comparatively, the seats are similar to sitting on a wooden church pew for the duration of the flight. I will never again fly Rouge. From Edmonton there are a number of other options available.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  19 January 2015 by B Rogers    (Canada)

Dec 15 2014, AC1828 and AC1876 Jan 9 2015.Terrible. Avoid at all costs. I travel quite frequently and am of reasonable height/weight. The seats are tiny and uncomfortable. Knees pressed against the seat ahead. Barely any lean back because you'd slam into the person behind you. Very small storage above. Inflight 'entertainment' didn't work. 5.5hrs to Maui. Paid top dollar. Lots of other people commented the same. Nice staff, not the jaded older ones that can be found on regular AC flights.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  19 January 2015 by H Glick    (USA)

YVR-LAX on 1/12. Can't complain about the service as the attendants were workmanlike. Seating, as noted by most reviewers is awful. The in-flight Wi-Fi service did not work initially and when I finally corralled a flight attendant she laughed and told me that the crew had forgotten to turn it on. By the time they did turn it on we were third of the way through our 2.5 hr. flight. Would fly this airline again on short routes, no more than 2 to 2 1/2 hours, and only with an aisle or exit row seat. Otherwise, caveat emptor.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  19 January 2015 by Lois Vanderhooft    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

For a business class ticket price, this was a waste of an upgraded price. The seats do not recline far enough to rest comfortable, the inflight iPad usage is really not conducive to eating in flight and your posture is compromised while viewing a the iPad needs to sit on your tray table, thus causing your neck to bend downwards. I watched as passengers tried to eat while positioning their iPad here or there. It was really bothersome. It was not a comfortable flight. We fly to Maui several times a year, and this is not my preferred airline for sure - Air Canada Rouge is not what I would choose to fly. I was very disappointed overall.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  19 January 2015 by Douglas Davis    (Canada)

Last August, after returning to Toronto from San Diego on Air Canada Rouge I couldn't walk properly for a week. The seat space was so small I felt that I was being punished for the full five five hours of my trip. Since I'm just under six feet I wondered how the tall people were handling the unconscionable seating. I didn't write a letter then but vowed not to take Rouge again. However Rouge became the only option on a recent return trip to Tampa. I had the same negative experience.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  19 January 2015 by E Alison O'Rourke    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

Booked business class with Aeroplan direct flight Toronto to Cancun only to end up on AC Rouge, not by choice. Flight 1810 January 8/15. Premium Rouge is not close to AC business class level at all and I don't feel it should be charging the same amount of points for Premium Rouge. Usually you are served water or juice on arrival to aircraft but there was a delay with that. The overhead bins above the middle seat section were too small to accommodate most regular size carry-ons. The inflight entertainment was non-existant and iPads were offered free to Premium rouge customers, $15 for economy customers. We could have used our own iPads to watch the movies offered if we had known and downloaded an app for this. We were told this quite rudely by the air attendant who seemed quite annoyed we didn't already know that is how it's done on AC rouge. The iPads weren't handed out for an hour and collected about 45 min prior to landing so we did not get to finish our movies. You were also unable to hear any announcements when you had earphones in listening to the iPads which I'm sure is not allowed by the safety guidelines. The first drink service was after the iPads. The meal was very tasty and good but too bad no switch up with menu as we had flown previous day with same menu. Seats smaller and very old and no support. I am not sure if they were short staffed that day or what but all the attendants seemed very unhappy and rude. I would never fly this airline by choice and I think Air Canada should have a serious look at keeping this airline. We were unhappy in business class so I cannot imagine how those in economy felt.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  19 January 2015 by D Kline    (Canada)

LAS to YYC was the worst I have experienced. Seats are jammed in. They are narrow and there is no room between the seat in front of you. I am only 5' 7" but could not sit straight with my knees together. They were jammed into the seat in front of me. I could not put my laptop on the tray unless it sat at an angle. Entertainment system was a joke. First of all, they announced after we were asked to put our phones on flight mode to download the Air Canada Ap. This information should have been announced in the boarding lounge. Even if you had the ap, it could not be used until 45 minutes after we left the gate and had to be turned off when we started our descent (1/2 hour before landing). Staff announced we were headed for Vancouver; not Calgary. They seemed like this was their first flight and were unsure of everything. They were like excited kids but not helpful. This is the first and last time I will flying Air Canada Rouge.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  19 January 2015 by P Walter    (Canada)

If you've spent any time reading on-line reviews of Rouge service, and you're still considering booking a Rouge flight, don't do it! I was Rouged once when the service was first introduced, and vowed to never fly with them again. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of consciously booking with Rouge while thinking that it couldn't still be as bad as my first experience - I was wrong! My YUL-LAS return flights over the past two weeks were a complete disaster in every possible way. I even earned a compensation reward (that will never be used!) for one of the flights. I fly a lot, including regular transpacific flights (not with Air Canada!) and super discount flights on Chinese airlines. Nothing compares to the poor quality of service on Rouge. Rouge seats are terribly uncomfortable, the flight attendants are clueless, the planes are old and not well maintained (does anyone enjoy blocked overflowing toilets).

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  19 January 2015 by K Pendergast    (Canada)

We flew Air Canada for years because we knew we could depend on a pleasant experience and a comfortable ride - a far cry from your typical charter. On a recent trip to the Caribbean on AC rouge, we were treated to incredibly uncomfortable and cramped seats, a dingy and dirty interior, a flaky electrical system (lights on, lights off, like magic, if the lights worked at all), and an unreliable entertainment system (maybe you can watch a movie, maybe we'll be having bandwidth allocation problems and you won't be able to). We brought our own devices for the entertainment system, but there is no charging capability. How handy. And the light switches are on the arm rest, so my neighbour's elbow was also quite efficient at turning it on and off unexpectedly. The flight was late both directions, didn't seem to be weather related. Nobody made their connection on the way back, forcing them to stay overnight. So, no incentive to choose AC again, that's for sure. We were always willing to pay a bit more in the past. Now, we might as well go with any low-quality, discount airline. Apparently, they are all the same.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  19 January 2015 by Megarity Luke    (Canada)

I don't think you could get any worst! I also was "rouged" as I took a flight from YUL-MCO. Being 6'4 I would rather get a root canal then have to sit on a rouge plane again. I am in disgust that Air Canada would create such a terrible product, when their mainland carrier is great. I am an altitude member and fly often with AC and somehow have managed to avoid this airline for almost two years, and will never take another rouge flight as long as I can help it. The entertainment selection was terrible, not that I had enough room to watch it on my ipad as my legs where twisted in a pretzel trying to find a comfortable place for my legs. Never again!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  19 January 2015 by Mitch MacLeod    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

YYC-LAS, LAS-YYC. This itinerary was made tolerable by the fact I was able to upgrade both flights using aeroplan e credits. Very uncomfortable seats on the 319 to LAS and the so called Premium Rouge reminds me of Canadian early 90s on their 737 with the seat next to you not sold. Food was OK both flights but obviously cut rate from mainline J eg less linen. The 767 flight to YYZ was akin to narrow body J mainline in terms of seating. I am not sure what Air Canada was thinking with the IFE, what are you supposed to do with that iPod while eating? And they were handed out far too late on the first flight. I did not get through the movie I was watching. If I had to wear a uniform like that to work I would not be doing so proudly! I will avoid Rouge if at all possible in the future.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  19 January 2015 by M Miller    (Canada)

Vancouver to Honolulu January 9-17, 2015. To Honolulu, AC1831, 5.30 pm on time departure, seats 12 D and E (Zone 5): 1) How the new boarding works at YVR airport - when they call out Zone 3 (back of the plane), you must wait about 10 minutes before boarding. My complaint is that none of the gate attendants called out Zone 5. It became a free for all where no one bothered to call out Zones 4-5. Having Prestige status and/or one of the Visa Infinite Privilege credit cards will not bump you into Zone 2 for priority boarding on rouge. 2) Our cabin and cabin seats were clean. My partner is 6'2 and I'm 5'4. We found the seat pitch (35) to be comfortable, and the recline to be sufficient enough to enjoy a snooze. I brought my Android kobo reader and downloaded movies/TV shows beforehand and was happy with that. Yes, they charge $10 per iPad rental but as stated in previous reviews, the connections timeout and any Air Canada app show you watch will intermittently stop and take up to a few minutes to load and continue (as my partner experienced on his iPhone). 3) Flight attendants are attentive, and aim to be very pleasant. 4) I ordered cheese cubes with crackers as a light snack from the OnBoard menu. We had visited the Priority lounge prior to for some light snacks. 5) Flight came in to HNL 25 minutes early. We waited 40 minutes for our luggage in the partial, open-air airport which still looks the same as it did in the 80s as with most dated American airports. To Vancouver, AC1830, 01.00am departure (delayed from 11.15pm), seats 12 A and C (Zone 5): 1) If you are a Nexus card holder, you get pre-TSA clearance at HNL airport which is handy for moving quickly. This open-air airport is not air-conditioned in the main corridors. Lounges are closed after 6pm. Check before you leave hotel to make sure flight is on time. 2) HNL gates are open only when the incoming flight has landed and completely deplaned. 3) Nothing past Zone 3 is called out. At YVR, gate attendants admit that the system is new and they are still figuring out how it works (whether or not to bother calling out Zone 5 at all). 4) By the time we boarded, we noticed that the plane was not full. Because the plane arrived late (weather reasons), although the signs said "delayed to 12.05am", we didn't take off until after 1am. However we arrived only 20 minutes later than we normally would had the plane left on time. 5) Both directions, there are no means to control air, and there are no power outlets to charge devices. HNL airport has plug-ins throughout to pre-power up however. 6) Cool air was blasting in our window/aisle seats and we felt it. When we were mid-cabin flying to HNL, this wasn't a problem. I'd recommend purchasing a beach towel merely to cover up and keep warm on the plane. We were fully dressed for chillier Vancouver winter weather which helped. Would I fly it again? Yes, booking seats 12 D and E or D and F. Why? Good price, decent leg room, served first with drinks/snacks - they offered twice and in a very timely manner. You de-plane faster. Overhead bulk storage is big enough for two, single-day backpacks and more. We always had room for our stuff. The flight attendants were kind.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  19 January 2015 by Jen Calvin    (Canada)

I have been flying to Hawaii for over 30 years always Business class on Air Canada but Air Canada Rouge which is part of Air Canada has got to be the worst experience I have had. The equipment is old 767 aircraft. I confirm this with the flight attendant because the bathrooms were in really bad shape. The seats were new and hard and no longer flat beds. You can get spoiled when you pay for Air Canada business-class prices for economy experiences. The food was good but they ran out of my choice. Do not fly Air Canada rouge unless you need to use this airline. No TV on back of seats, and bring your iPad.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  19 January 2015 by Donna Fairley    (Canada)

I flew Air Canada Rouge for the first time the beginning of January. They should rename it Air Canada Sardine Can. I am only 5 foot 3 inches and my knees were hitting the seat in front of me. I dropped my glasses on the floor and there was no way I could get them and was told by the steward on the plane that there is nothing he could do that I would have to wait until the plane was empty and then I could try to reach and get them and then he said nothing else can be done and my reply was "fly another airline". Going into Cuba I had 3 forms to fill out and they gave them to us as we were starting to land and then told to put our trays up and we could not use the trays to fill out the forms. Very poor service and you are crammed in as I said like sardines.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  19 January 2015 by C Rantfors    (Canada)

Vancouver to Maui on Air Canada Rouge December 13, 2014 - this was the worst flight. Seats were the most uncomfortable. For the cost of this flight I was expecting more for the money. I will not be flying with Air Canada any more for the simple fact that when the flights were booked back in August there was no mention of Rouge and there certainly was no discount for that portion of our flight. Time to go back to old system.. I do not recommend flying rouge if your flight is over 1 hour long or if you are over 5' 5" good luck trying to fit your knees in front of you in your seat. Goodbye Air Canada Rouge!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  19 January 2015 by C Rantfors    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

Jan 16 2015, OGG-YVR. What kind of a system of 3 zones to load an aircraft? Simply ineffective, annoying and takes extra time to load the aircraft. What were Air Canada thinking? Service was rated as zero, just like a charter flight. No more Air Canada!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  14 January 2015 by A Thomlison    (Canada)

Toronto to Phoenix. What happened here? Last year it was standard comfortable economy and this year we were jammed in like cattle. Never again will we travel Rouge! The couple next to me had an 18 month old baby on their lap. Awful for everyone.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  14 January 2015 by T Zimmerman    (Canada)

Toronto to San Diego / return and lucky to have aisle seat. Loading time is long as middle and window seat passengers have to squeeze in and out. I'm 5'10" and my knees touch seat in front.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  14 January 2015 by Loubert Patrick    (Canada)

Regular Air Canada customer and had probably the worst airline experience that I can remember. Flight 1807 from San Jose to Toronto on Jan.4th. Initially scheduled to arrive on Sunday afternoon then changed some time ago to Monday morning at 1.40am. Plane was then delayed with no explanation for two hours and sat on the runway for another 25 minutes. The new seat spacing is absurd. If you are over 5ft 10 do not use this airline. Arrived Toronto approx. 4.30am on Jan 5th with partner and two younger kids to find that the bags did not arrive with the plane. To date no info on when they will arrive.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  14 January 2015 by Al Trainer    (Canada)

The first and last time I fly Rouge. What a disappointment! My previous flights to Honolulu were on Air Canada, not Rouge. When I boarded the Rouge jet in December, 2014, I noticed there was no inflight entertainment. A 6 hour flight with no inflight entertainment? Air Canada should let travellers know that the 767's they fly to Honolulu have no inflight entertainment. Had I know this, I would not have flown Rouge to Honolulu.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  14 January 2015 by K Tompkins    (Canada)

Recently flew from Toronto to Phoenix and were quite surprised to find ourselves on Rouge-we certainly weren't aware we were booking it. Never again. Seats were horribly uncomfortable-on the flight down my husband and I both ended up with back pain because the seat forced me to sit with my shoulders slumped forward. I've also never been on a plane with so little leg room-maybe three inches from my knees to the seat in front and I'm only 5'2". Flight back was slightly better (different seats) but still uncomfortable. We noticed several rows of "prestige" seats as we got on the plane, but they were the same as all the other seats except with a bit more leg room. There were only 3 flight attendants for the entire plane, one and a half of whom were dedicated to business class so service was slow. As other people have said, there's no inflight entertainment, unless you happen to have an iPad. I generally read, so that's not an issue for me, but I'd have been in trouble if my e-reader ran out of charge as there were also no plugs or usb ports available. And, though it's a small thing, the uniforms are hideous, especially the hats, which looked to be "one size fits nobody."

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  14 January 2015 by L Ian    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

We had booked Air Canada Business Class seats, YXY to MCO 17-26 Dec 2014, and were initially disappointed the flight out of Toronto was on Rouge (Premium). We read many reviews, majority being negative, but were hopeful our trip wouldn't end up as other travelers had. As it turned out we had a very enjoyable flight, both directions. Even though there wasn't the customary onboard entertainment the provided iPads worked well though it would have been nice to have had them prior to takeoff for full enjoyment. I would certainly recommend flying Rouge, Premium if it is within your budget, and are considering a Toronto to Athens flight in the near future.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  14 January 2015 by E Menard    (Canada)

I flew to Phoenix from Toronto on Dec 28th Business Class and returned Jan 5, 2015. Both were equally disturbing in their own way. The bottom line is that if Air Canada is going to charge full fare on a flight then it should not be "charter" quality. If I pay to fly business, then I should get what I pay for. As for economy, the leg room is atrocious for a 5 hour flight. If the person in front of you leans back, then their seat is a few inches from your nose. Also, we were not warned ahead of time that there would be no entertainment- they tell you to download the app to watch movies on an Ipad or Iphone but they provide no charging mechanism for your battery so you are forced to rent an Ipad for $10. If we are paying the same rates as a regular Air Canada flight, shouldn't the entertainment be free just like on those flights? Air Canada used to be my go-to airline. No more- certainly not if I have to take a long haul flight on Rouge. They are shooting themselves in the foot. They used to claim "Best Airline in North America five years in a row". This will never happen again if they continue on this path. Extremely disappointing.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  14 January 2015 by Tony Laverghetta    (Canada)

YUL-LAS, 767-300. I knew it was going to be bad but still I was curious to fly rouge and experience it. The plane was very old, worn and dirty, non existent leg-room, poor selection of movies from their wifi IFE, cabin crew okay but very young and inexperienced, never felt safe with them, food options a joke and unhealthy. This product would be acceptable if low cost but the prices are the same as AC mainline and the offering is tremendously below standards. I had better flights with real low cost carriers in Europe or Asia for 1/10 of the price paid. Good things, landed on time and my baggage arrived too. I won't get rouged ever again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  14 January 2015 by C Yantha    (Canada)

If I can help it there is no way I will utilize Air Canada Rouge again. The leg room is terrible - my knees were jammed into the seat in front of me the whole time from Toronto to Phoenix and for the return flight back. If the person in front of you reclines their seat it is absolute torture. Out of 4 flights in total from Ottawa to Phoenix, we had 7 planes due to mechanical failures. Very archaic options for in flight entertainment. If I could give 0 stars for "Value for Money" and "Seat Comfort" I would.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  14 January 2015 by Innes Ian    (Canada)

If you have ever enjoyed flying, book a trip with Air Canada Rouge, they will change you forever. We travel from YYZ to SJO frequently and usually with Avianca. This time we flew with Rouge - what a mistake! The lack of seat room is just unacceptable, our friend could not even get his tray down, had to eat of his wife's tray. This really is an airline of last resort unless of course, you are a midget on a diet. Be warned!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 January 2015 by C Robinson    (Canada)

I usually fly with AC but after this experience, would never fly ACR again. Flight YVR-OGG. As many have pointed out the seats are brutal. Thin (felt the guys knees in my back), no leg room, and the reading lights in our row of seats didn't work. Pretty hard to read in the dark. The so-called inflight entertainment system is a joke. Only worked on the iPad and even then kept getting knocked out, and then had a hard time re-connecting. Neither our android or MS systems could connect. Make sure to take your own food as the buy-on-board is expensive. The only positive was the young cheery flight crew. Overall, AC has used the term discount to refer to the reduced quality of the flight experience, while maintaining ridiculous prices.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 January 2015 by N Kimberley    (Canada)

Got rouged with a bait and switch on a flight from Vancouver to San Francisco at the end of October. Most miserable, uncomfortable flight I have ever taken. Thank goodness it was a relatively short flight. No entertainment other than to advise me I should have downloaded their app on to my iPad before boarding. I am not tall and don't have long legs yet my knees were jammed into the seat in front of me and were quite sore by the time we landed. Do not bring anything on board to put under your seat because you will need every last cm of space. The seat was also narrower than average along with being much closer to the seat in front with a minimal recline. The direct flight to Hawaii from YVR has now been rouged and I am on a flight in February. My wife and I are already dreading the flight. Back to Seattle or Portland to get Hawaiian or Westjet from now on.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 January 2015 by Robert Storness-Bliss    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

Air Canada Rouge is the worst experience I have ever had flying with this Airline and I am a loyal supporter for the last thirty-five years. As a Super Elite traveller I expect Air Canada to offer the best in comfort and service, they have failed miserably with this service. Seats are horrible even in Business Class. Staff are all junior and haven't a clue what Service is. As soon as we got on our flight the Flight Attendants were in the galley eating rather than making sure the paying customers were taken care of. This continued throughout the flight. At dinner, in Business Class u expect the same level of service as on the regular flights - not. Wine was not even offered although in my case the FA forgot to even put a wine glass on.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 January 2015 by D Starr    (Canada)

I wish I had visited this site before being Rouged. I can't believe that Air Canada looks good to me now! Toronto - Dublin return. I'm a taller woman and had to sit sideways for over 7 hours. I totally agree with the other criticisms on this site. I think the crew is tired of hearing complaints from the passengers and their attitude shows they don't have much patience left. If you are thinking of Rouge my advice is keep the trip short (nothing over a few hours), pack a lunch and download your favourite movies and music on your tablet (their media solution is a joke and wouldn't play on my tablet). If you're tall or big resist the temptation!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 January 2015 by L Shannon    (Canada)

Vancouver to Honolulu on Air Canada Rouge in December 2014 - this was the worst flight ever. Seats were the most uncomfortable and the inflight entertainment service that you have to watch on your iPad froze and was not worth the effort to try to reload numerous times since it just kept freezing. For the cost of this flight I was expecting more for the money. I will not be flying with Air Canada any more for the simple fact that when the flights were booked back in July there was no mention of Rouge and there certainly was no discount for that portion of our flight. Time to get better planes if people are still paying top dollar for a long flight. I do not recommend flying rouge if your flight is over 2 hours long or if you are over 5' 8" good luck trying to fit your knees in front of you in your seat.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 January 2015 by G Insogna    (Canada)

I'm never again going to fly Air Canada Rouge. My wife flew Rouge to Vegas in October 2014, and she said it was terrible. Just got back from Cancun yesterday, and the Business Class in Rouge was just terrible. The flight attendants have no experience, and are VERY young. The seats are small and tight. My wife told me the Airbus seats are worst than the Boeing seats. Being a proud Canadian, I always try to fly with Air Canada when possible, but Rouge is awful.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 January 2015 by S Mitchell    (Canada)

I fly around 20 times a year for work, mostly on Air Canada. I've now twice had the displeasure of having to fly Rouge (once to Europe and once to Florida). In my years, I've flown some bad airlines but Rouge is garbage. I truly hate this airline. Cramped seats, no amenities. Nickel and dimed. Upgrades give you zero benefit for the money. Rouge is the most cynical airline I have ever flown. It signifies that Air Canada truly and officially does not care about it's customers. We are just freight. I will never, ever fly Rouge again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 January 2015 by M Leung    (Canada)

First time flying Air Canada Rouge from Toronto to San Diego. I usually fly the regular Air Canada flights so I was in for a surprise. I'm only 5 ft 4" but my legs were cramped in Economy. There are no screens in front of you so you needed to use your phone/tablet to see their very limited selection of movies/shows. Plus, no power outlets to charge your phone so by the time you arrive to your destination, your phone is nearly dead. AC rouge took the couple good things that stood out against west jet and threw it down the pipe just so they can squeeze more people in the plane. It feels like they're just in it for profit, not customer satisfaction.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 January 2015 by J Ball    (USA)

The in-flight entertainment is if you have a device or pay $10 for an i-pad. I had my own device but because everyone is trying to stream, it didn't work. I was able to stream something for maybe 3 minutes. A customer asked the attendant and they had no idea, said they would come back with a solution and never came back. The majority of the attendants were very rude on the flight over. Plus all segments on my journey to and journey from were delayed or late. They don't offer you a glass of wine like the brochure/ads say, or a warm towel.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 January 2015 by D Larson    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

AC1872, YUL-MCO on December 6, 2014. I was flying in Premium rouge and was curious what the experience would be like given all the reviews. I'm aware that there is a vast discrepancy between Premium rouge and regular rouge service, however I would have to say that I was quite pleased with my experience. On this flight, the Premium rouge cabin was less than half-full, and service was smooth and punctual. All staff were very friendly and ensured that any needs were met. The meal service went well, with the standard mainline AC offerings, and the food was moist and flavourful. iPads were distributed and while I had my own media with me, I opted to try the distributed iPad simply for the experience. The library of films was a bit on the older side, but for someone who isn't a cinephile, the selection should be sufficient. The video quality was a bit grainy at times, given the streaming service, but was consistent. The seating arrangement on this A319 in Premium rouge is 3x3 with the middle seats blocked and with pillows seat-belted in where a human would otherwise be. I found the seating arrangement very roomy, and to be honest, I think that I actually preferred it to the mainline J cabin seating! The legroom was about the same as on the mainline J cabin. I enjoyed having the tray table space of the empty middle seat to put my drink and personal items on, instead of putting them on my own tray, so as to optimize space. Additionally, the under-seat storage of the middle seat allowed easy access and storage for my carry-on bag, without having to reach up to the overhead bin, and without impeding my own legroom. The colour scheme of the Premium rouge cabin is also quite nice, and is a refreshing change from the blue tones of the mainline J cabin. All in all, I had a pleasant experience on Air Canada rouge in the Premium rouge cabin, however I'm sure my review would be vastly different in the regular rouge cabin, given how little legroom there is there (I'm 5'11, so I would be sure to notice it). Thus, I would recommend flying rouge, so long as you can get a seat in Premium rouge.

1 2 3 4