Air Canada rouge Passenger Reviews and Customer Trip Reports

Air Canada rouge
1.0 Star Rating: Very poor

1 2 3

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  19 August 2014 by A Orzechowski    (USA)

I flew from Toronto (YYZ) to Venice (VCE) on the 767-300ER. Rouge is simple but still provided a pleasant flight. Leg room not bad at all. Flight attendants were all female and young. Hot meal served but alcohol costs money. No video screens but who cares when you have a good-looking crew to look at.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  19 August 2014 by M Lowe    (Canada)

I knowingly booked on AC Rouge YVR-SFO because that's the only flight which worked with my schedule. Flight was delayed one hour but that's due to SFO runway construction/inbound restrictions. We were kept updated so no complaints there. In all fairness, the in-flight service was no better or worse than any mainline AC short-haul service (that is, serviceable without wow factor.) Where they really fall down is the lack of legroom. 29" pitch felt rather claustrophobic and I'm not even tall. Be warned if you're anything over 5'5". I did appreciate one of the pilots standing by the door thanking passengers upon disembarking. All in all, for an 1 hr 50 flight it really was quite okay and I'd do the same flight with AC Rouge in the future. Any longer I don't think I'll ever go for based on seat discomfort alone. P.S. we were only offered a small cup of juice/pop/water, but for such a short flight I really don't give a toss.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  19 August 2014 by J Billingham    (USA)

Flew Toronto to Punta Cana. I booked using Air Canada vacations on mistaken assumption that this would afford me a better seat due to star alliance status. Of my 1 million miles flown, most international, this is my first user review and this flight was the worst seat with the worst legroom that I have ever experienced. Plus, the wonderful person in front of me reclined throughout all the time airborne. I guess buyer beware and I should have researched the airline before but I do feel scammed by AC and won't be flying them again any time soon.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  19 August 2014 by G Kaluzny    (Canada)

I was expecting an Air Canada flight with the same service I have been used to over the years only to find out at the last minute I was on a Rouge flight. I paid the same price as an Air Canada flight but ended up with Rouge. Just when I was expecting a Calgary - Vegas nice comfortable flight I ended up with this expensive bait and switch. Now if I paid a third less cost for my flight, then it would be no issue.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  16 August 2014 by James Gadd    (UK)

YYZ-MCO. This is basically a budget airline, so with that in mind it wasn't bad. My main criticism was the terrible legroom - I would suggest they fix the seats in the upright position as the European budget carriers do, because when someone reclines it really is very uncomfortable.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  16 August 2014 by Angelo Comazzetto    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

Flight 1899 on May 9th. The airline might be marketing this as low cost, but it is certainly low cost for them and not the passengers. I got "rouged" on a "business" flight from Las Vegas and thought for a second I was on Ryanair or Air Berlin. In business, they took the Lufthansa short haul idea of simply blocking the economy seat off next to you. The flight attendant told me after we took off that I would need an app on my phone (how can I get that in flight?) and then halfway through the flight offered me an iPad to use after I complained this was pretty silly. It wasn't cheaper, it wasn't good, it was all around terrible. I guess it helps AC make their sales number, but it sure doesn't help the passengers in any way. Maybe if it was 50% less than what it is now, it might be worth a look. Steer clear!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  16 August 2014 by G Wernicke    (Canada)

6 August, YUL-YYZ (AC 835), YYZ-SAN (AC-Rouge 1887). 12 August, SAN-YYZ (AC-Rouge Business 1886), YYZ-YUL (AC 834). One of the worst flights that I have taken - absolutely no leg room, an entertainment selection that malfunctioned on two flights and shockingly unprofessional service. The worst business class in the industry. The only thing that is low cost about Rouge is the service and comfort.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  14 August 2014 by Jones Desray    (Barbados)

Travelled to Canada from Barbados on July 30th, didn't have a clue that it would not be an Air Canada flight until couple days before departure, when I received an email on this issue. There is no inflight entertainment unless you rent a iPad for CDN$10, the movies are not that up to date either. In the email your are told that if you have an APPLE device, (iPad,iPhone,iPod) you can go on the app store and download the Rouge app with will allow you to watch the movies on your device. All I can say is what a plug for APPLE. Legroom in economy is poor and the seat is uncomfortable. I booked on Air Canada not Rouge and felt cheated especially as I was travelling with an elderly person and a child. Air Canada needs to inform the public upfront and not after tickets are purchased. I have no expectations that our return flight home will be any different.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  14 August 2014 by T Lockyer    (Canada)

Flight and crew on flight to/from Toronto to Dublin was very good. Confused though since provided wine free on flight to Dublin but charged on the return leg. Seat was broken (would not lock in upright position). Biggest complaint / issue is that Airline allows carry on baggage regardless of size which jammed up overhead storage. One case had to be removed to close bin and was stored by crew in the back. This should be enforced for comfort of all.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  14 August 2014 by Martin Calver    (UK)

We travelled from Manchester to Las Vegas, via Toronto with Rouge. The flight was 3 hours late leaving Manchester, and the organisation at Manchester was dreadful. The crew were very kind and understanding, but the food was poor and left a lot to be desired. The onward flight to Vegas was fine. The return flight from San Francisco was good but the flight to Manchester was again delayed by 3 hours. We then were informed that two passengers had refused to fly, and we had a to wait another 90 minutes while bags were unloaded. It all seemed so laid back. Don't think we will repeat the experience, rather go via Heathrow.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  14 August 2014 by P Schaller    (Canada)

We flew to Orlando from Montreal last February. The seats had very little padding. It was very uncomfortable. The distance between seats was very little causing great discomfort when the seat in front was pushed back. I had to push it forward to get out of the seat. Entertainment was non existent unless you wanted to pay. We took our own food because of previous experience. All in all, we would not fly Rouge again. We only fly Air Canada because we have very few options.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  14 August 2014 by D Kemp    (Canada)

When flight was booked we were not told it was Air Canada Rouge and did not find out until we selected seats. Legroom was totally inadequate. I am 6" tall and could not sit with my legs straight forward. I had to angle my legs to fit and that was very uncomfortable for a short flight (2+hrs) let alone if we had been on a long flight. Like most economy flights the service and amenities were non-existent. The least they could do is give you a comfortable seat with decent legroom!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  14 August 2014 by J Kassner    (Canada)

Montreal to Las Vegas return. No legroom (I'm only 5'10", average height for a male, and my knees were constantly pressed up against seat in front of me). No entertainment on board. No food. Jam-packed plane where they've clearly stuffed in as many seats as possible. Couldn't sleep a lick as no room and seat reclines maybe 4 inches max. Everyone on the plane around us was also complaining of how uncomfortable this flight was. 5.5 hr flight and they made us pay $10 to rent an ipad off them if we wanted entertainment! Avoid at all costs. Not worth the small savings over regular Air Canada service.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  12 August 2014 by M Fischer    (Canada)

Do not take AC Rouge to Costa Rica! We did this last February (2014) and will never use them again. On our return trip to Toronto my husband had broken ribs and the crew did nothing to help make him comfortable. Every time I would ask for a pillow or something - I was basically ignored. They crew felt it better to stand up front and talk amongst themselves. They did not even help him to his seat since he was in a wheel-chair.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  12 August 2014 by P Vasilios    (Canada)

Toronto to Athens direct. Aug 6th, Air Canada 1900 (delayed 30 min from Toronto, arrived 10 min early in Athens) not bad. Value - $1600.00 CAN return each. Seat comfort - we brought our own travel blanket, pillow, mask, ear plugs. Made a difference but not much. Food and beverages - bring something to eat. Inflight entertainment - 50/50. Bring your own ipad, mp3, non apple products do not work on there system. Staff sevice - excellent crew, on the plane. The crew were polite, courteous and helpful. We (girlfriend and I) were very pleased with the customer service on the plane. Before departure it was good..a little rushed and panicked by the boarding crew. But not ... bad. Online check-in was nice, airport kiosk check-in was OK.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  9 August 2014 by B Scott    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

How valuable is your time? Return flight from Phoenix to Toronto departed almost twelve hours late. Mechanical difficulties. To their credit, they flew in a proper plane from Vancouver. Apparently Rouge is the nursing home for ageing AC aircraft. What really stunned me was when I checked in Air Canada desk staff basically said: 'It's a Rouge flight, if you don't like it, complain to Air Canada.' And, away we went. Will not fly Rouge again if there's any other choice. Even running on time it seems overpriced compared the quality of the experience.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  9 August 2014 by Thompson Eric    (USA)

I never thought the concept of "negative legroom" existed for average people. If you are more than 5'8, your legs will hurt when you get off the plane. The poor soul in front of me had to deal with my knees pressing hard against his seat for the entire flight. I later found out from SeatGuru that economy seats have just 29" of seat pitch, compared with 31' for most other major airlines. The flight from Calgary to LAX was one of the most miserable 3 hours of my life. Thank heavens WestJet also flies this route.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  9 August 2014 by K Quinton    (Canada)

Air Canada itself has been given a bad reputation upon some things, however, I think Air Canada is a wonderful airline and I fly with them frequently. Recently I took a trip to Orlando, FL and flew with Air Canada rouge. The crew were wonderful. The only thing I wasn't impressed with was the lack of room between your seat and the one ahead of you, making it very uncomfortable if the person in front were to recline their seat. If you have the tray table down and the person in front just throws their seat back all the way, the tray table moves back into your stomach which is obviously an uncomfortable feeling. Other than that I enjoyed the flight with Air Canada rouge and any Air Canada flights. Just one small problem which could be in the making of fixing!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  9 August 2014 by F Dragojevich    (Canada)

Beware of two things if flying AC Rouge and returning on a connecting domestic flight via Toronto: As you have read here AC Rouge is not Air Canada. Legroom and other services fall short of regular AC service. Meals provided though if flying to/from Europe. Even if you purchase duty free in Europe after check-in, once you have landed in Toronto and go through customs, you will be required to go through security again. Any liquids over 100 ml (even if purchased at a Duty Free and sealed) in your carry-on will be confiscated. AC was of no help to use when this happened to us, even though they advised us that this should not be a problem.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  9 August 2014 by C Nick    (Ireland)

Premium Rouge

2 Services on an 11 hour flight. Starving, terrible food, entertainment system is horrible and barely works. And Premium Rouge is a Premium waste of time, I highly suggest taking Air Transat to Athens or transferring in Europe instead of ever going with Rouge again. Air Canada really knows how to destroy their brand image.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  9 August 2014 by F Hryn    (Canada)

Flew Manchester to Toronto on August 5. After reading the abysmal reviews, I was prepared for the worst. Instead, I was pleasantly surprised. The service from the young flight attendants was prompt, friendly, and professional. We were given a meal (tasty by airline standards) and a wrap as a snack as well as frequent water and beverage runs. My friend and I really could not understand what the fuss over this airline is all about. Most people bring their own devices when travelling anyway and I think that Rouge might be the first in what could be the standard in inflight entertainment in the future (i.e: you want it, you pay for it). The stewardess was almost apologetic when she told us a glass of wine costs $6.50. Big deal - if paying a small price for a glass of wine or beer for the luxury of a direct flight to a "non-hub" city is all I have to pay then so be it. Comfortable flight, good service, on-time - I don't need anything else. Just remember to bring a book or a device for entertainment which they remind you to do in an email well in advance.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  7 August 2014 by Gaffney Francis    (Ireland)

We travelled from Dublin to Toronto via Air Canada Rouge. It was the worst excuse for an air service that either myself or my wife have experienced. In the first place we booked Air Canada flights and were not informed that our flights had been 'downgraded' to rouge flights. As a wheelchair user I found that I had been allocated an 'Exit Seat' which I am not allowed to occupy, and when we inquired as to whether I had been allocated the same seats, "Exits', on our return journey we were assured this was not the case. We were indeed booked in for Exit seats for our return flight. The seats were so uncomfortable and as for what passed for food…- it was simply inedible. On the plus side we found the very young cabin crew to be absolutely charming and professional. We had picked Air Canada because of our past experience, and the level of in flight entertainment which we found in the past to be very good was now relegated to the realm of the non existent. We will never travel with Air Canada "Rouge " or otherwise!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  7 August 2014 by M Arnis    (Canada)

Vancouver to Toronto with AC116, July 7th. I flew AC881 from Paris to Toronto, July 20th, and Toronto to Vancouver AC147. All three flights made with the mainline Air Canada were fine, I have no complaints. I do have negative comments regarding the Rouge flight AC1914 taken from Toronto to Barcelona July 7th. All negative reviews are correct. They switch you to Rouge, no inflight entertainment, horrible seats, too young flight attendants, and all other comments. Plus on an overnight flight they turned on all the cabin lights to wake you up for a bad piece of pumpkin bread.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  6 August 2014 by J Rawluk    (Canada)

Rouge Toronto to Tampa. Delayed again service very basic seats hard and no leg room staff very young, inexperienced but pleasant no water offered after basics beverage service. Uniforms ridiculous, dressed for winter, hats so silly. Only taking this flight again if dirt cheap and the only flight available. Shame on you Air Canada you are now in same low level category as Sunwing!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  6 August 2014 by G Ollis    (Canada)

We were not notified that we were flying Air Canada Rouge when we booked our flight to Athens. I have never been so disappointed in a flight. We paid regular price. It was a very long 10 hour flight, very cramped, minimal food and refreshments, the plane was dirty, no movies unless you rented an ipad that in the end did not work. The entertainment system kept going down and I had to restart the movie at least five times. I have enjoyed flying Air Canada overseas in the past but this was an eye opener. What are you doing to your very loyal customers? I did not want to get on that plane to come home. To add to the disaster we had seats in the very back by the bathroom where people were continually lining up. Oh and they ran out of choices in food. I better stop now. I am so incredibly disappointed.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  6 August 2014 by C Dawes    (Canada)

Didn't know we were flying Rouge as a typical Air Canada booking and price. Flight was late. Entertainment system a joke. No one told us to download the AC app before the flight. Food sparse but ok, no alcohol and limited drinks service. Cabin crew inexperienced. Customer service not a priority. No frills attitude and service but AC price on a long haul flight. Not impressed. Will be avoiding Rouge in the future if possible.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  6 August 2014 by F Mcgrane    (USA)

Booked flight with UAL and knew that Air Canada was the return flight from Vancouver. Unknown to us was that the flight was with Rouge. Ok, no problem until the boarding process began, the boarding agent was rude, and the PA system was difficult to hear. Once on board and pre-flight three young Oriental girls were seated on an exit row adjacent to us. When the flight attendant questioned them about being comfortable to sit in the row they did not respond, because they didn't speak French or English. It wasn't until the flight was in the air that an adult was moved to the row. The only good experience was the fight made it to San Francisco on time. Personally for me, I will be more aware of my reservations and never fly this airline again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  6 August 2014 by Knott Kalen    (Canada)

Flew three times in the last month. All three were delayed. Had to change planes twice. International flight, had to pay for entertainment (worst movie selection I've ever seen, no new releases). No complimentary alcohol internationally. Seats are extremely tight (worst leg room I've seen and I fly frequently), and very poor lumbar support. Will never fly with them again. Was embarrassed the word Canada was on the side of the plane!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  6 August 2014 by John Gelley    (UK)

Premium Rouge

Absolutely awful - Delays, missed connections, lies and more delays. Sadly, I have nothing good to say at all about Rouge - worst airline for delays I have ever come across in more than 30 years of airline business travel. More often than not, long delays meaning missed connections. I commute between the UK and the USA every 2 weeks so I have plenty of experience of other airlines with which to compare this to.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  4 August 2014 by A Braun    (Canada)

Montreal to Las Vegas, flight AC1855 on July 9th. Las Vegas to Toronto, flight AC1854 on July 12th. The seats are badly designed, I don't know how to explain it but it's impossible to get into a comfortable position at the level of your neck and upper back. There's just a big empty space that creates tension (and having one of those cushions around the neck didn't do anything at all). Then, the leg space. - I'm 6 feet and I had to put my legs on an angle on the side or else I would have my knees pushing on the front seat. For my connection, I went on a regular Air Canada airplane and I had an extra 6 inches of space in front of my knees and the seat design finally made sense.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  3 August 2014 by F Cam    (Canada)

I feel stupid for not noticing that our flight was on Rouge and just assumed it was with Air Canada (whose long haul, transatlantic service I am very pleased with). The two brands could-not-be more different. The in-flight crew all seemed to be under the age of 25 and new to AC. I was so surprised at how genuinely disinterested they seemed to be in doing their job with a smile. When they weren't begrudgingly serving customers, they were in the galley with the curtain pulled closed and could be heard gossiping about passengers. The washrooms were filthy by about 1/2 way into our flight, and even worse 3/4 of the way. Garbage overflowing, and wine bottles on the floor! The inflight infotainment system tells me about their shoes, hair and makeup products. Instead, how about spending more time training your employees to deliver good customer service and a clean airplane? The quality of the food was what you'd expect on a plane - when it was actually served, that is. On an 11 hour flight I would have expected more frequent service and more snacks. Their in-flight "bring your own device" entertainment system was not bad - as long as it stays free I think it's a decent setup as it allows you to watch shows/movies on a decent sized screen. Seats were comfortable enough. Rouge is absolutely terrible value for money and I refuse to fly them again. I would much rather choose Transat or another carrier, where at least I know what to expect for the money I'm paying. Air Canada Rouge really drags their parent brand down.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  3 August 2014 by M Walters    (Canada)

First flight on Rouge. Absolutely terrible seats, expect to have your knees jammed into the seat in front of you, regardless of your height. Entertainment is lacking. Worst part is if there is any mechanical issue, as there was on my flight from Orlando to Toronto, you are stuck as Rouge is a very small fleet and Air Canada will not send an Air Canada aircraft to take you home early. Our delay was 7 hours. Will never fly Rouge again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  3 August 2014 by Michael Termini    (Canada)

I once again was forced to fly Air Canada Rouge because the direct flight to Tampa is now serviced by Rouge. I had previously flown on their E190 and 319 - terrible. There was an aircraft change on the return flight and I got the opportunity to fly their 767. Who is the designer for Rouge airplane interiors? No sooner did I sit in my seat after juggling with my carry on trying to find an overhead bin that was big enough that I began to hear the attendant call bell over and over, this went on the whole flight. The bright engineer placed the call button in the middle of the arm rest and the elbow activates the button, very annoying and makes it impossible to sleep. I tried to turn on the overhead light only to find out that it illuminated the area in the next seat. What a joke this airline has turned out to be. I fly many times during the course of the year and needless to say I will avoid Rouge like the plague. I am also going to switch my Aeroplan credit cards to another reward card. Wake up Air Canada!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  3 August 2014 by J Norman    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

Took Air Canada Rouge from Toronto to Montego Bay return. What a mistake. We have flown Air Canada Business Class on the same route many times and were pleased with the value. Not with Rouge. The seats must have come from an old cold war era bus, with places in the armrests to accommodate ashtrays. My premium seat was broken and when the flight attendant tried to fix it, she told me that the seats are constantly breaking. We saw the flight attendant once to give us our meal and then had to page her to have the tray taken away. Totally poor experience. We will never fly Rouge again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  3 August 2014 by C Imm    (Canda)

Premium Rouge

The Rouge brand is an insult to passengers. They use outdated AC planes for routes currently flown by other airlines on more modern planes and it is not worth the price. While slightly cheaper than Air Canada, flying Rouge to/from Europe is simply like flying the US Southwest airline over the Atlantic - simply inconceivable. I think Air Canada's seats are superior to other airlines like Air France or KLM and while service is comparable I prefer AC but in routes to/from Europe I will not fly Rouge. I flew Punta Cana - Toronto on Rouge (Premium) and other than more leg space, the service given is the same as the one in Economy. I wanted a whole can of soda instead of a cup and I was told that I had to wait until other passengers were given their drinks before I could have it. Really? Also, unless you bring your own IFE, you have to pay for it (as well as for your food). How can they expect your device battery to last 8 hrs? I am flying to Spain in October and chose Lufthansa over the Rouge brand - and I don't like LH that much either - also rejecting a non-stop flight offered by AC-Rouge. I dislike not flying Air Canada but since I feel cheated by the Rouge brand I will cheat on them with Lufthansa.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  3 August 2014 by J Eakins    (UK)

Having checked in online I arrived to find a huge queue, the new computer program had been causing problems all week and everyone had to be checked in by hand. It took 2 hours for me to get through and there were still approximately a third of the people still to go. We were rushed through security as they were going to start boarding us, we then sat on the plane for one and a half hours! They were 27 meals short and so those of us at the back of the plane got a sandwich instead of a hot meal. The coffee was served in very small polystyrene cups and was weak and lukewarm. The i-pads they rented did not work properly (some were given more than one to try) so they had to give a refund. The plane was cold, so a lot of people had blankets over them. The afternoon snack of pannini's had run out again, so, we at the back of the plane got a pack of 2 biscuits. The staff were pleasant but not over enthusiastic. The flight home was only 30mins late taking off, we all had food this time, but the individual lights weren't working over many seats. As it was an evening flight the main lights were dimmed, which meant a lot of us without i-pads, had to just sit there for a couple of hours and then after the meal try and sleep to pass the time. Never again!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  3 August 2014 by W Thiessen    (Canada)

Flew to Barcelona on May 20 2014 - AC 1914. Rouge was a huge disappointment. The leg room was intolerable. Without >warning when purchased there were no screens and no free drinks on an overseas flight. Definitely not worth it.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  3 August 2014 by Gianpaolo Paladino    (Canada)

I travelled Toronto to Barcelona and then Venice to Toronto and both were terrible. The prices for tickets are exactly the same as Air Canada, however there is no leg room, the inflight movie system to see movies with iphone or ipad is nonsense as you cannot move, or eat with that device in your hands. There is no where to charge your iphone or ipad so if no battery then you are done. There are a big wifi boxes below all seats and my feet could not even fit the space. The crew were very nice but also very inexperienced. The airplane was old looking and basic. Too expensive for what we got.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  3 August 2014 by Mike Lafrance    (Canada)

What can I say. Cramped plane, not enough food and what there was, was very average. Flight was Toronto-Edinbugh and return (originating and ending in Montreal via AC mainline). The trip was overall satisfactory: both flights were on-time, baggage was delivered promptly including a bicycle, and the cabin crew, if somewhat young, were eager and courteous. The only issue is the price. If it were half the price, it would be a great deal. The in- flight entertainment selection was sparse, but I'm old enough to remember when "in-flight entertainment" was a book and stewardesses in mini-skirts. The flight was on a 767 which is a great plane, my wife and I had a window and aisle seat, and the plane was clean and in great shape for an 18 y.o airliner. I'm really only interested in as painless and safe a journey as possible at a good price. Apart from the price, Rouge delivered us on-time to our destination and home again; the entire trip went off without a hitch. I'd fly them again if they go where we want to go. It was much better connecting through Toronto than our other choice, Heathrow.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  3 August 2014 by Hodgson Linda    (Canada)

Very bare bones flight from Canada to Manchester UK. No movie or screen of any sort. Offer to rent tablet for entertainment $10. Upgrade of $90 each way was extra leg room only in exit row! Wouldn't, book with them again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  1 August 2014 by R Moore    (UK)

Premium Rouge

Just got back from 1st (and last if I can help it) Rouge flight. I have been travelling to Canada for 31 years, mainly on AC flights. This sub-brand is a disaster for them and erodes the far better 'real' Air Canada brand image. My reason for choosing Rouge was that it was nearer home to go from MAN rather than LHR. The other reviews have very fairly said it better then I can, but to add my comments. I went business class or whatever they call it on Rouge both ways: 1) Poor check at MAN where despite me asking 3 times if I could surely go in the preferred line, they kept me in regular line for 30 mins. 2) I guess I should not have expected the excellent 'pods' you get on AC mainstream when going LHZ-YYZ, but these were just enhanced (barely) regular seats with a limited leg space as there was a mysterious base under the seat in front (this was true for all rows) so I could not properly stretch my legs. 3) As many have said, very inexperienced cabin crew with the 'we are young and enthusiastic' attitude. I have to say that they were really nice and keen to help, but just lacked experience or training (e.g. wrong drink brought, confused me with another passenger with same name and tried to downgrade me and no tea available only coffee before landing with very poor mini-breakfast which I thought was a disgrace even on a cheap airline let alone 'premium class' with AC). 4) Despite paying for the upgrade into 'premium' both ways, I was not allowed into the lounge, no priority tag on luggage and no priority check-in (I admit there was priority boarding). AC agent at YYZ explained that this was not a business class service so no lounge etc privileges, just an enhanced seating and meal option. 5) The lack on inflight entertainment did not concern me personally but think that is pretty poor. 6) All in all for just over £1200 for MAN-YYZ return, I think they are over-charging for a stripped down basic service.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  1 August 2014 by X Chaillot    (Canada)

Had to fly to Phoenix on company business and booked my usual Air Canada flight there only to found out that I was bumped into Rouge. Well, let me tell you, this was by far the worst flying experience of my entire life. I'm flying probably 30 flights a year on average, and I think of myself as a fairly good traveller with good patience and little complaints to the staff who are just doing whatever they can with what they have. The #1 problem with Rouge is the leg room. Let's just say I've never felt so cramped and uncomfortable in a plane before. From this point on, I have decided to avoid Rouge on every route that Air Canada has switched to it, and I'm going to go the extra mile to change my air miles collection habits to free myself from Air Canada as much as possible. Well done Air Canada, you have successfully driven me away from your services.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  1 August 2014 by John Neilson    (Canada)

I travelled Toronto to Athens in Rouge Premium (return). My experience was considerably better than most of the reviews posted here. The service ran on time, the food was good (not outstanding), the flight attendants were very good, and the sets were OK. The inflight entertainment contained new releases, contrary to earlier reviews. Perhaps there has been improvements responding to earlier criticisms. I would suggest avoiding row 1 if you are long legged, like me. The bulkhead limits your ability to stretch out, which is better in rows 2-4. Rouge Premium, given its cost, could be compared with Premium Economy in other airlines. If you consider it in that light, it seems like a fair proposition to me.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  1 August 2014 by G Balfour    (Canada)

Flew with Rouge from Toronto to Barcelona and chose a window seat. Lo and behold, when I get to my "window seat", no window. Just wall space between two windows. Now, why would I have chosen a window seat if not for the express purpose of being able to look out a window? There was no entertainment, no warning telling me I'd need to download an app to occupy my time. Not even a headphone jack in the arm to listen to music. I'm glad I can sleep on planes because that's what I was forced to do to beat the boredom.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  30 July 2014 by Therriault Serge    (Canada)

YUL-LAS round-trip in June. This was a points ticket. It was my first experience with Rouge, I flew many times with Air Canada mainline and couldn't give more praise to the mainline. As for Rouge, its a total disaster. I never experienced delays with Air Canada. That's a different story with Rouge, both flights were delayed over an hour. The cabin was cramped with uncomfortable seats and very little air-conditioning. The seats in the so- called business class on Rouge are the same as in economy with the exception that there is no one in the middle seat. The price of the tickets for this so-called business class, is the same as for real business class. Now, for the in-flight entertainment. I brought my iPad and was hoping to get the same selection of movies that Air Canada's mainline offers. I was wrong, the most recent movie available is at least 10 years old and the selection is minimal. As for the crew members, they were the worst attendants I have had. Beverage service only once during the flight (over 4.5hr). Never again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  30 July 2014 by Dempster Scott    (Canada)

We flew as a large group to a wedding in Jamaica. Our Rouge flight was from Toronto to Montego Bay, having booked well in advance most of our group was sitting together which was the only nice thing about this flight. We all knew the minute we walked on the plane that the flight would be bad, the seats were extremely cramped and uncomfortable. The flight attendants were friendly enough but the service was poor, one trip down the aisle to serve beverages but then didn't pick up garbage until making our approach. We had been told prior that the entertainment would be a wifi connection and the app on the iPad was required, it was fine but nothing fancy. The return leg was no better.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  30 July 2014 by J Coley    (USA)

I traveled with Air Canada Rouge from Washington DC to Lisbon, connection in Toronto. All I can say is never again. The planes were outdated, the personal entertainment system a joke, food horrendous and the seats were tiny. I am 5'4" and 115 lbs and I felt cramped. The only upside was the friendliness of the cabin crew. However, that couldn't make up for the downside. My ticket was not cheap either. For $1400, I expect better.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  30 July 2014 by L Nixon    (Canada)

I flew Rouge for the first time 3 weeks ago from Calgary to Las Vegas. The flight was no less expensive than WJ, but I usually prefer the cabin size of AC. What a mistake. I also usually choose Canadian airlines to avoid baggage fees. With Rouge, I had to pay for baggage fees - $50/bag/person/way - this added on an extra $200! The seats are so uncomfortable. I am tall and my husband is 4 inches taller. It was an excruciating trip. On the way there, we had to rent our ipad as we didn't know about the app download. I am thankful we didn't have our children with us, or that would have been an extra cost as well. The movies and TV on the App are old and not anything to take away from the awful flight experience. I will always choose WestJet now over AC Rouge.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  30 July 2014 by Robert Crumb    (Canada)

I just returned from California via AC Rouge and let me say that it was horrible. Absolutely no leg room, children acting as flight attendants, your crammed into the fuselage worse than cattle. I'm 6' tall, average build and sitting strait up in my seat my knees were touching the back of the set in front of me. Then they reclined and I had to sit sideways to fit. I've flow Rouge before on short hauls, hated it for the same reasons. When I found out I was on a long haul I nearly there-up. Rouge is the all time new low in commercial aviation. AC, you just keep delivering new lows.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  30 July 2014 by Richard Jennings    (USA)

Premium Rouge

I flew Rouge from San Diego and Toronto to get to a funeral. It was a direct flight and I was expecting it to be business class - not! Seats were very uncomfortable, the worst business class I have been in. For my return flight I went United and it was very nice. Even if I had to change planes in Denver. Never again would I use Rouge, service very poor and Air Canada should be ashamed to charge such prices for such service.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  30 July 2014 by B Sarti    (Canada)

It's been twice now that I've flown on Air Canada Rouge. The first time was on a round trip Toronto to Vegas in February for work and then on a recent trip from and to Nassau. If you can avoid flying Rouge, I would highly recommend it unless you're of small frame and short legs and can carry an extra pillow for your butt. This airline is a joke especially when you realize that you pretty much pay the same fare as you do for 'regular' flights.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  30 July 2014 by Carbone Fernando    (Canada)

I flew from Toronto to Athens Greece with Rouge. The seats are very uncomfortable, no padding and they recline a very small amount. No entertainment, you must have your own iPad to access the worst movies ever. If you want you can rent an iPad for ten dollars, which should be included with the seat price. Air Canada makes it seem that Rouge is some sort of upgrade because it is new. Next time I fly it will not be with Rouge. I will make sure to investigate further before I fly with any Canadian airline so I will not get ripped off.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  30 July 2014 by B Wong    (Canada)

YYC to LAX return in July 2014. AC 1876 and 1877. Absolutely terrible seat and service. Air Canada has to be the worst North American airline with the introduction of the Rouge planes. I was originally booked to fly on a standard Air Canada flight but was switched by Air Canada to fly on a Rouge plane without any warning that the seat configuration and service is that of a low-cost charter flight. With this change, Air Canada no longer deserves to be the Best Airlines in North America. There are many airlines better than it now.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  30 July 2014 by Linda Mason    (Canada)

In August of 2013 I booked 3 tickets with Air Canada to travel from Halifax to Toronto and then on to Barcelona, Spain. Air Canada decided to give that route to their low cost carrier Rouge and there was nothing we could do. I called and was offered other routes to get to Barcelona but it would have been longer and waits in airports so we had no alternative but to stick to our original schedule. We did not receive any compensation for being subjected to an airplane with seats that have no leg room, no entertainment systems and not even a glass of wine, it was just not the same. The crew were pleasant but very young and inexperienced. The crew spent a great deal of time trying to get the ridiculous ipads to work for the entertainment. The seats were crammed in with little or no leg room and most uncomfortable. I am not a fussy person but the meal provided seemed like a low cost frozen meal you would find in a low cost grocery store. I could have gone with an American carrier but wanted to stay with Air Canada. I will not fly with Rouge again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  28 July 2014 by S Young    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

Air Canada changed their planes to Rouge to Phoenix. I typically fly to Phoenix for work at least once a month, sometimes twice a month and loved flying on Air Canada. Rouge is just as expensive, maybe more and it is absolutely awful. The inflight entertainment is via an iPad which makes it difficult to watch and eat at the same time. There is no charger for the iPad so you're out of luck if the battery is low. I am a short person but when the person in front of me reclines their seat, it is uncomfortable and rests on the top of my iPad and my knees. The wifi is not stable and I am frequently bumped out of my movie. The staff are inexperienced and forget to offer drinks or pick up garbage. It is just awful. For Air Canada to boast about being the number one airline in North America and then to limit certain routes to Rouge where we don't have a choice while still charging premium fares is ridiculous. From now on, I am going to looking at cheaper alternatives as Rouge has no advantage over the American airlines but seems to be worse. I have tried both economy and premium. Premium is a huge joke and an embarrassment for the cost.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  28 July 2014 by T John    (Canada)

Return flight from Athens to Toronto. We did not get an email until a week before leaving that our 10 hour flight from Athens to Toronto was on Rouge. Seats were painfully uncomfortable with barely any padding. The recline was pathetic. I'm not the tallest person but my knees were hitting the backrest in front. The narrow seats means my shoulder also sticks out. I'm reminded that whenever they hit my shoulder with the drink cart. While on the subject of drinks, they charged for drinks. It's a 10 hour international flight and no complimentary drinks? Now the food. We were served a wrap that came in a cardboard box. I looked at the bottom of the box and the wrap has an expiration date of Mar 2015. Our flight was on Jul 2014. What kind of food can last till 2015 without wrapping. Let's talk about the app. It took 3 hours to watch a 2 hour movie because the app kept crashing. I stopped counting after 15 crashes. Unfortunately, it doesn't return to where you left off in the movie so you have to scroll again to try and find the spot you last left off. Many people on the flight had no idea that they were on a Rouge flight and did not know that they needed to download the app to access the inflight entertainment system. Even the email sent to me that our flight was on Rouge had no mention of having to download the app, so how should people know to download the app? I ended up lending my iPhone to the lady beside me so she can entertain her kids (I think she was only able to afford renting 1 iPad and her two kids were fighting over the iPad). The flight was dirty. My partner looked down to where his feet were and noticed exposed wiring and a chicken bone. Never again will I fly Rouge and I will no longer make Air Canada my first choice (or second choice) in airlines.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  28 July 2014 by McKenzie Rob    (Canada)

Recent trip from YVR to LAX and return on Rouge, Cramped and uncomfortable like never before. The Air Canada entertainment system has always been a draw for me, travel several times a year. Air Canada has not done themselves any favours by eliminating the seat back entertainment. Now you need an ipad or you rent one onboard for less desirable choices of movies. Will endeavour now to fly Westjet whenever possible. Congrats Air Canada on you nice "Rouge" seatbelts though, I'm sure they will last a lot longer now from non use.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  28 July 2014 by L Martin    (Canada)

I booked an Air Canada flight from Manchester, England to Victoria BC. I didn't know that the flight from Manchester to Toronto was on Rouge, and, I booked this as it was the only direct flight from Manchester to Toronto. If you can, avoid Rouge! There is no legroom, seats are very close together, and for those interested, no in-flight entertainment. Pay ten dollars for an I-Pad per flight. Not recommended.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  26 July 2014 by R Klim    (USA)

Flew from Toronto to Barcelona. Look forward to what Rouge advertised as a "new way to vacation" and "newly designed cabin" and "upbeat spirit". I was surprised when I entered the cabin and took my seat. This was different, different in a bad way. The seats were very uncomfortable with little leg room and a short thin seat cushion. There were no individual controls for the air. There was no entertainment, no music, no video, no TV. You needed your own device to receive the WiFi movies. This was a very uncomfortable flight. It seems to me that the name Rouge is a marketing cover up for a cheap/no frills/discontented service priced at a premium level. This airline would be unacceptable even as a short commuter flight. The flight back from Rome was on an Air Canada plane and that was a lot better. Never again will I fly Rouge.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  23 July 2014 by J Mulloy    (Canada)

Booked Rouge YUL-LAS. Flight left on time and without any problems. Now for all the negativity about this airline: It's really not bad at all. I'm 5'6" and I didn't find the leg room to be any less than I've experienced on Air Canada or Qantas before. Yes the seat is uncomfortable but the great service from the flight attendants made up for it. The attendants were always very professional and courteous answering any questions people had. I do agree that they are a bit "young" but as long as they know how to do their job, that shouldn't matter. Of course there were no TV's but I was aware of this beforehand and loaded up my iPad with my own movies. I checked what was playing on this flight before I left and wasn't impressed so I didn't download the AC app at all. On my return home we had a RedEye flight and again, it left on time and everyone was professional. They came around with complimentary drinks and then dimmed the lights so people could sleep. Of course trying to sleep in a plane is never fun but I was able to get some shut eye. All in all, I would fly Rouge again, it's really not as bad as people make it out to be.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  23 July 2014 by Pinheiro Joe    (Canada)

My wife and I booked a Las Vegas get away with Air Canada. We had no idea that it was with Rouge. I hope that everyone that reads these reviews take them to heart and don't book with Rouge. The seats are the worst, no entertainment but you can get movies for a $10 ipad rental (what a joke). I fly 3-5 times a year and I will never fly this airline again. The attendants did a good job but had a lot of complaints from other passengers about the seats.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  23 July 2014 by A Chudleigh    (Australia)

Premium Rouge

LAX-YYC. Air Canada Rouge 19th July, wasn't expecting much after all the negative reviews but very happy with the flight. The A319 is a little dated and it isn't really business but roomy enough for a 3 hour flight. Food was fine, coffee acceptable and iPad was also good enough for 3 hours. Departed close to on time and arrived on time. Polite efficient service from Trevor and Vicki. This was a Lifemiles redemption flight originally on an AC E190 in business, but changed about 3 weeks before departure, so not really sure if it value for money.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  23 July 2014 by B Flamig    (USA)

We had the misfortune of booking a round-trip flight between Phoenix and Toronto on Air Canada Rouge recently. I was shocked to find the most cramped seats on any airline flight I've taken. I could not have my knees straight ahead without hitting the seat in front. I had to angle my knees to the side. This was on a 4.5 hour flight! Not a recipe for any sort of comfort. I'm 5'11". I can't imagine what is was like for those taller than me. To add more "salt" to this bad recipe, they no longer provide display screens on the seat in front of you with which to watch movies, etc. Instead, you are encouraged to bring your own device, and use their "WIFI" service. Now, having WIFI sounds good, until you discover that there is no general connection to the internet, (at least I couldn't figure out how to do it), only to their own browser pages, including their movie and music selections - which we could not get to work. The end result? Cramped seats and no movies. So unless you brought your own entertainment to distract you from the extremely uncomfortable seats, you were in for a long flight. Fortunately, my wife had e- books to read on her tablet, and I resorted to listening to music on a laptop. Forget opening your laptop to any readable position. There's no room, even when the seat in front of you is in the locked and upright position. We've flown the non-stop Phoenix-Toronto flights for sixteen years now, at least once a year. Up until now, we've always chosen to fly Air Canada, often times not even checking to see what the alternative carriers had to offer. In the past, the service has always been better than the US carrier alternatives. But you can better believe that from now on, we'll be actively choosing a different carrier for our annual flights to Toronto.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  23 July 2014 by T Sappington    (USA)

I booked an international itinerary that included two segments that were originally on AC (Los Angeles-Vancouver, Calgary-Los Angeles). After booking, these flights were changed to AC Rouge on the A-319 aircraft. The first flight was on time, the second one departed about 20 minutes late. The crews were friendly and upbeat, and we were offered a drink on both flights. However, the IFE didn't work with my computer, and the legroom was absolutely terrible. After the first flight, my back was sore since I had to sit so straight to protect my knees (I'm 6'0" tall). Fortunately the person in front of me didn't recline. On the second flight, my wife and I were alone in our row (only 2 of the three seats were occupied), so we could spread out a bit. This was good, since the person in front of me (and the one next to him) reclined fully. If I hadn't been able to sit sideways, I don't know how I would have made it for almost three hours. I would not use AC Rouge again (nor would I ever recommend it to anyone), and I would think twice about booking another international itinerary on AC. Even if I were able to book my flights only on AC (as opposed to AC Rouge), one cannot seem to tell when a flight will be "rouged"!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  23 July 2014 by V Clements    (Canada)

Also a not nice surprise for me to find out that my full price points ticket from Manchester landed me on a Rouge flight. I wasn't aware of Rouge until I arrived at the very long, very inefficient line at the check in counter (even thought it was noted in small letters on my electronic ticket). Oh boy, not impressed - with anything except the energetic young employees (who are probably at the bottom of the pay scale for attendants). Won't be taking a Rouge flight anywhere I can avoid it.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  23 July 2014 by G Voros    (Canada)

This flight was our first on Rouge, and did not fly first class because there isn't really a first class, its regular class with the middle seat blocked, I got different answers every time I called Air Canada as to what type of seats it was going to be, so we stayed with regular economy class. Overall the flight was better than I expected. It wasn't a great flight but it was on par with any chartered flight on Sunwing or Air Transat, or any of those airlines that fly mass groups for cheap to the Caribbean. It was the only direct flight I could find from Toronto to San Diego, and flying with kids, the less time on plane and traveling the better. The service was same as usual, the staff was friendly. The lack of TV entertainment built into the seat seems a step backwards to me but not a big deal. would I fly with them again, not if I can pick another airline but not as bad as all the reviews.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  18 July 2014 by C Healy    (USA)

I booked a flight from Dublin to Boston via Toronto on Air Canada using American Express points. Little did I know it was on "Rouge", their new low-cost service. I am petite but the seats were uncomfortable even for me. Worst of all was that there was no in-flight entertainment system! Apparently now you have to have an iPad, and have downloaded a special app before boarding the plane, in order to access movies and TV shows. iPads were offered for rent for $10 each for those who don't have their own or who didn't magically know about this system and it's necessary app. When I complained about this to the flight attendant and said it seemed like another way to nickel and dime passengers, he claimed it wasn't about making money and said this new system reduced the weight of the plane. If that's true then the airline is surely saving enough on fuel costs not to have to charge $10 for movies. I sure am glad I brought a good book for this seven hour flight! This is the second time I've flown Air Canada and both times have been a bad experience. I plan to avoid them in the future.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  18 July 2014 by C Baratta    (Canada)

After reading the many negative reviews, we were very worried about flying Rouge. We flew from Dublin to Toronto and we were pleasantly surprised. The seats seemed to be the same size as the seats we flew down with on Air Canada. The flight attendants were very friendly, with great service and went out of their way to help answer any questions. We would not hesitate to travel with them again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  18 July 2014 by T Street    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

My company had to fly me overnight to Las Vegas to meet a client at short notice and I was booked on Westjet Plus on the outgoing and Air Canada Rouge Premium on the return. Delightful trip down on WJ with great professional cabin staff, open bar and food service and good entertainment choices on backseat TV. Return horrible on Rouge with uncomfortable seating in business cabin, tiny overhead bins and obstructed underseat storage and no entertainment option except for old movies on an Ipad. Service atrocious with no drinks after more than an hour in the air, hot meal choices overcooked and too salty and inexperienced staff. Looked at how much my company paid for my ticket was and was shocked that my return on Rouge cost twice as much as my outgoing on Westjet. As I plan to take my spouse to Las Vegas for a holiday I will never consider flying Air Canada Rouge as it is a rip off.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  16 July 2014 by Peace Robert    (Canada)

I have flown to Cancun from Toronto for many years every month. I was excited initially to learn that AC would add a Rouge option to 'compete' with the other airlines. In the end the price is 99 percent of the time higher than Westjet, Sunwing and Transat and the seats are now worse than all of them! They are now at par with Canjet but at a 40 percent higher price. The Premium Class is a joke for the insane business class price. I get the same 'upgrade' on Sunwing for $40 not $1,200 each way!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  16 July 2014 by Horn Elizabeth    (USA)

It would help to know what to expect on AC Rouge flights. On some flights we got food, on others we had to buy meals. I checked beforehand and the information was not correct. The wireless entertainment was terrible. Watching one movie, I and my neighbors were disconnected probably 20 times and had to restart, go through all the menu options each time just to continue the show. Plus limited selections. My partner didn't download the AC App, so had no entertainment on our 11 hour flight. I had just happened to download the app, didn't realize it was important. No wifi for anything other than the Rouge entertainment. No flight map available.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  16 July 2014 by D Guttman    (Canada)

Had to fly from Athens (ATH) to Toronto (YYZ) and ended up on an AC Rouge flight. I was surprised to say the least since I certainly didn't sign up for a Rouge flight and wouldn't have taken AC if I had know it was Rouge. I am just over 6 ft so the leg room and seat recline was horrible. It was extremely uncomfortable for all 11 hrs! The "food" was sparse and tasteless. There is no entertainment system to speak of. They have an inflight wi-fi system to deliver it, but you need to have an Apple product or rent one of their ipads to use it. I tried connecting through my computer and gave up half way through 2 movies because of lost connection and poor quality. Of course if you want to use your computer you have to actually fit it on your tray - good luck there. My recommendation is to never take Rouge unless you are a small person who doesn't eat and likes to sleep sitting up straight. AC, you should be ashamed!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  16 July 2014 by J McArthur    (Canada)

I flew to Las Vegas on Air Canada for the last time. I head there for work about 15 times per year. My last flight I dutifully booked with Air Canada, but failed to notice it wasn't Air Canada anymore. It was Rouge. More like Gouge. This is a discount airline where all that is discounted is comfort and service. Price is still at a premium. Air Canada should know from it's Star Alliance Partner, United, that this will not be successful.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  14 July 2014 by K Chui    (Canada)

Had to fly from YVR to LAX for business but unfortunately AC only offers Rouge service for direct flights. Seating was incredibly uncomfortable and the service level was substandard compared to the previous AC ML flights, and I would argue below that of UA and some other US carriers (plane wasn't clean, air conditioning wasn't cold enough, overhead cabins were packed full and the flight crew pretty inexperienced). I'm now flying YVR to SFO to LAX via UA just to avoid having to fly Rouge again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  12 July 2014 by Douglas Gourla    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

Flew AC Rouge for the first time this week. It was a discounted business class ticket from Toronto the San Diego. I had been warned by AC flight attendants on previous trips that this route was changing to "Rouge". I kept an open mind but when I got on board, the seats were terrible. As others have said, the front of the plane uses economy seats clusters of three x three, but the middle seat is unsold. I was seat 3D and by the time they brought me my dinner selection, I had no choice but the veg pasta. I declined the offer. They said I could have any of the "for sale" offerings from economy. When I asked about the chicken listed on the menus (they reduced the selection actually offered to salmon or pasta), they said I would have to take one of the crew meals. I did and it was quite tasty but if felt like it was an imposition. I won't comment on the IFE, but the iPad was a peculiar touch for a 5 hour flight. So, the seats are very uncomfortable, the IFE is mediocre at best and the sense of "value for dollar spent" left me feeling like I'd wasted my money. If I find out that my $2200 flight has less than 150% qualifying air miles, I will make an issue out of it. As it is, I'm likely going to be traveling through LAX from now on. I'm truly disappointed in the direction that Air Canada has gone. It's a sharp contrast from the lay flat modular business class that puts United and other carriers to shame.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  12 July 2014 by J Isner    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

After reading some of the reviews, I was worried, but I just completed a YYZ-EDI redeye and it was more or less exactly what I expected. On the more side: the legroom was a pleasant surprise, it helped also that it wasn't a sell out flight. On the less side: the crew didn't have any landing cards to distribute, so an already tedious and confused immigration/passport control went quickly from bad to worse, I was prepared for the business with the entertainment, but others weren't, and Rouge is not doing a good enough job of educating its new customers about it. I get that sometimes a flight can go haywire, and what a drag to end up on Rouge when you have paid for AC, but this is a discount/bucket airline with poor food and cramped seating. You get what you pay for.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 July 2014 by J Hughes    (Canada)

Very basic service, with basic flight attendants, who lacked experience and training. Poor leg room and seat comfort. Menu offerings extremely limited, no beverage service was offered after the one and only meal service and no duty free. Hardly a travel experience I would like to repeat.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 July 2014 by T Owen    (Canada)

The trend at Air Canada to squeeze the most out of space seems to a common thread above. I had made the mistake of booking a Rouge flight, unaware of the atypical AC configuration changes. The rouge cabin is offensive in general, and specifically inhumane due to the lack of leg space forward, and width wise. Then to add to the horror, they allow the seats to recline such that ones living space is compromised so that the table is utterly useless. I am of average height and weight. This is not an issue of me be a huge person. I mentioned to the crew this point, to which a very pleasant representative replied that "we have been getting that a lot, but we are competing with Sunwing." I fly Air Canada for comfort. I complained, and it was the typical response (much later) they are not sorry - they are just sorry that I was upset. With all the Elite perks disappearing for all but the Super Elite and Million milers, I think the best before date has passed.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 July 2014 by Mike Gordon    (Canada)

Ottawa-Montreal-Cuba. Ottawa-Montreal trip was OK (Dash 8), then we had the displeasure to get a Rouge place. What can I add here? Everything has been said, everything is terrible. It looks like the staff is composed of new members only, totally disorganized. Wanted to buy a pizza, they were out, pretzels, out, vegetables, out, Beef sandwich, out, so it was either a Campbell ramen soup or the vegetarian wrap. Even if you have to pay for everything they have nothing to offer! Never again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 July 2014 by D Lee    (UK)

Got delayed by 14 hours on MAN-YYZ, no communication. IFE is an awful idea, cramped seat. Generally awful. Had to fight them for any food or water at the airport. Will never travel with them again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 July 2014 by S Robertson    (USA)

Premium Rouge

Flown Air Canada for 20+ years and probably been on several hundred flights in the past 15 years. I have been there for the merger with Canadian and start of Air Canada Jazz but nothing compares to how ripped off I felt with Air Canada Rouge that have taken over for mainline flights from California to Vancouver. I have been in both Economy and Premium Rouge. Economy seats were the worst seats I have experienced on any airline, anywhere in the world. Premium Rouge is okay but is not worth a business fare. The lack of power supply and the usual entertainment monitor were a big peeve compared to regular business or even economy from before. Unfortunately there is getting less and less choice but I think it would be wise to switch to United Air Mile plan and fly them more. I never thought I would be saying that because United has also gone downhill since the merger with Continental. Hopefully another airline will be able to deliver a global network, air miles and better service, I would be willing to move to them.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  9 July 2014 by Neil Henderson    (Canada)

If you want to fly and have multiple last minute flight delays, this is who you want to fly with. Leaving Pearson direct to Manchester UK, departure time 10.25pm. At around 9.30pm when we were in the boarding area, flight delayed until 1am. Around 11.30pm, a fellow passenger received a text message that the flight was delayed until 10am the following morning. Only those that had connecting flights were put up in a hotel for the evening, so driving 2 hours to Pearson to be told to get a hotel is a slap in the face. Return flight apparently some computer problem at Manchester airport. We boarded plane and sat there for another hour before being taxied to runway. Worst experience ever - do not consider flying with AC rouge. Poor seats, poor inflight entertainment.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  9 July 2014 by A Dobson    (UK)

Premium Rouge

Having read the reviews, I was a bit apprehensive to travel AC Rouge on a transatlantic flight today, Edinburgh to Toronto. However, Prem Economy was surprisingly OK, food was OK, Staff were helpful and attentive, and the provided ipad (free in prem econ) worked as well as most fixed screens - better in some ways as you could angle it to suit yourself, and much better picture. Clearly a budget service, but the price does not really reflect that, being 50% more than Air Transat. I will probably use them again, but BA/KLM/United they are not!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  9 July 2014 by M Neff    (Canada)

Flew from LAS to YYZ in a packed 767 and got put in the very back row. Freezing cold AC, blankets cost $7 bucks, the cabin crew never offered me any food, and worse, the plane was dirty. I don't even want to know what was on the washroom floor, but it looked like it hadn't been cleaned in days. Worst landing I've experienced. Never again though. I'll pay the extra money to fly in comfort and courtesy.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  9 July 2014 by D Cross    (Canada)

Flew from YVR to LAX and then back just recently. The flights both ways were on the Airbus 319 judging from the fact that the "Premium Economy" (or what passes for Business class anyway) was still three seats abreast with what looks like virtually no physical difference between the seat widths compared to the actual economy section (although maybe extra legroom? I couldn't really tell). I had been considering using some extra money in my budget for a LUA to business class, but having seen what passes for it I'm glad I saved my dough. The seat widths even in economy are comfortable enough even for a larger person, which is good, but the distance between the seat you're sitting in and the one in front is almost abominably small (so legroom is at a premium), and if the person in front leans their seat back they can almost hit your nose, it feels like. The beverage selection was quite nice, though, and the staff were reasonably quick about getting the drinks served, compared to my past experience where it seems to take forever to go row by row. In general though if I had to wrap it up in one word? "Bland". Not much leg room, no in-flight entertainment except what you bring with you, just a point A to B experience. Rouge is tolerable for "short hop" flights such as up and down the West Coast, but I feel that any flight longer than ~3 hours - I would go out of my way to pick a non-Rouge flight, even to the extent of a United codeshare if necessary.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  9 July 2014 by P Moller    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

Very disappointed with Air Canada when they switched to Rouge for the YVR-SFO service. I travel weekly on this route. Same air fare pricing but we're stuck with smaller seats, having to pay for in-flight entertainment that you can't even watch if you're trying to eat, 'fake' business class seating with an un-used middle seat when one has paid for a 'business class' service shows Air Canada is not looking after their customers. The service was fine but the flight attendants seem green. I hope Air Canada is listening here because they are going to lose my business as soon as I find an alternative better solution. I have been an Air Canada customer for decades but this type of move is making it difficult to continue doing so.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  7 July 2014 by Jennifer Bawden    (Canada)

I flew Lisbon to Toronto on July 1, 2014. I was concerned about what the flight would be like as I had read some bad reviews. However I was pleasantly surprised. Having heard the food was minimal, I brought my own. But there was a wonderful hot lunch, drinks/nibbles a couple of times and then a hot snack later in the flight. Staff seemed to be serving something all the time. Because it was Canada Day they provided an alcoholic drink free of charge to celebrate! The seats were fine, 2/3/2 so was not packed like sardines as some budget flights are. The only thing was lack of in-flight entertainment, and ironically although I prepared for that, all my electronic devices went dead and the chargers were in my checked bags! I had to go "unplugged". I would suggest however, that at least a screen be available to watch the flight tracker map as that is always interesting. I would definitely fly Rouge again, and make sure I bring my chargers (there was a socket available).

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  7 July 2014 by Carolyn Millar    (Canada)

May 31 2014, flight 1162, Vancouver to Toronto. May 31 2014, flight 1914, Toronto to Barcelona. We booked a European cruise with Oceana Cruise line which included air. Everything printed below is true. Rock hard seats, no entertainment, extra charges everywhere, etc. I have informed Oceana Cruises that if they want our business, we must have, in writing, their guarantee that we will never be exposed to Air Canada Rouge again. Secondly, whoever pays for a drink in the middle of the Atlantic? Who are you paying taxes to with that drink Air Canada? In fairness to the staff, they were so busy selling i-pads, foods, drinks etc that they had no time for anything else. We have always flown Air Canada or British Airways to Europe. Now that I know Air Canada is pulling this fast one, that's it for us. It's unfortunate that there are no zeros on the Air Canada Rouge rating chart below. On the bright side, Lufthansa home from Frankfurt was everything you could hope for and more.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  7 July 2014 by Carrie Lombardo    (Canada)

May 28, Toronto to Vegas. The strangest service ever! Out of coffee. June 1, Vegas to Toronto. Return flight. They did not offer service until 2.5 hours into the flight. We had garbage on our trays. I almost wanted to put it on the floor in the middle of the aisle. There's no way any of the staff knew what was going on. At times they were arguing between themselves. I will never fly Rouge again!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  7 July 2014 by Sharon Rutherford    (Canada)

If you want to save money and reach your destination, this is a great deal. Bring a book, or your own electronic device, a bit of food and be prepared not to have too much leg room. I had a 5.5 hour flight and thought the flight was manageable. It would not be comfortable for a 9 hour flight, but as long as you know what to expect and come prepared, then you'll appreciate the bargain.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  7 July 2014 by D Rindell    (USA)

As a business flyer the new Rouge service from San Diego to Toronto is a real disappointment. I paid over $700 for a very poor experience. The seats are this new aircraft are terrible. They are the same as on a commuter small aircraft, not suitable for a 5+ hr flight. I am 5 ft’8”tall and my knees were hitting the seat in front of me. The business class (first class) seats, are the same as the unpadded economy seats. Clearly there is no incentive to purchase the upgraded fare.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  7 July 2014 by Steven Rechtschaffner    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

It's been very disappointing to see Air Canada replace their Air Canada service on the San Francisco to Vancouver route with their discount airline Rouge. As a business traveler, have used Air Canada to fly this route multiple times per month. However, if they continue to use their discount airliners with no business class I'll have to find another carrier.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  7 July 2014 by Jonathan Reed    (USA)

I booked well in advance an Air Canada flight from Vancouver to Las Vegas for July 5, paying extra for premium economy seats. Sometime before departure I got an e-mail from AC saying that my flight was changed to Rouge and I could have a refund if I wanted. I ignored it and closer to departure went on seat guru to check the specs on my seat assignment. To my annoyance when I got changed to Rouge my premium economy seat disappeared and I saw I had a 29" seat pitch. After spending 20 minutes on the phone I got assigned to row 4, the one economy row behind the first three rows of fake first class seats that has extra seat pitch. (I say fake first class because the first three rows are exactly like Row 4, except that in the first three rows the middle seat is never assigned and in the first three rows newspapers and drinks are served. When my wife and I fly on a plane with 3+3 seating with premium economy seats we always book aisle and window premium economy in the hopes that no one will pay a premium for a middle seat. This trick worked this time. So, my wife and I were pretty comfortable having 3 seats to ourselves with extra legroom. I felt the fellow behind me unavoidably put his knee into my but or lower back a couple or times on the flights, but with 29 inches of seat pitch, you can't really give that person a dirty look. I have to say the FAs were very attentive and friendly. So, while I was appalled that Rouge went to a 29 inch seat pitch for almost all of the plane, my wife and I actually found the flight pretty good. On the downside, the food for purchase, leaves a lot to be desired and the only inflight entertainment is TV shows. Bring a book.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  7 July 2014 by M Jason    (Canada)

Flown AC for many years for both business and vacations and was diligently collecting AP points. I am not prepared to pay the same amount of money for a downgraded experience. I'm tall and will never book a flight on Rogue as I won't be subjecting myself to countless hours of torture. AC could care less about their customers and the reviews show it. No TV's? Ancient aircraft's? Sub-par flight attendants? Smaller seats? Wake up people! Start booking your flights from now on with a competitor. AC will need to address this mess sooner or later or they will lose what customer base they have left.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  7 July 2014 by A Robinson    (Canada)

Cashed in on points for a flight to Vegas. It took three flights to get there and four flights to get home. We flew Rouge Calgary to Vegas and Vegas to Montreal. Flight attendants are too young, unprofessional, and immature. We received a drink 1.5 hrs after take off, no snacks, and nothing else on both flights. Attendants do the flight safety check which you could not see because they stood at the front of the plane in business class and didn't move. Also, because they have us so crammed in that you couldn't see anything. Seats were horrible, and by the time I got off, my back was sore and my tail bone ached. No TV. I did have an Ipad, but yes they make you feel like I had received an email or welcome package telling me to download their app before getting on, and I was somehow delinquent. Didn't matter anyway, there was barely any room to watch it and the guy behind me had his knees so far up the seat, because of the cramped seats that I could feel him on my butt. The incline on the seats is horrible. No one sits like that. Fill the plane with those who approved this plane, fly them out for six hours and see how they feel afterwards. Totally hated my experience and couldn't wait to see real flight attendants and Air Canada Express and Jazz planes.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  7 July 2014 by Isenbecker Kurt    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

My wife and I booked business class from Edmonton Alberta to Dublin Ireland last month (May) which was an expensive ticket to say the least. We were celebrating our 10 year anniversary so we decided to splurge. The flight from Edmonton to Toronto was exactly what we expected: good service, lounge access, decent food, etc. Once we arrived in Toronto though things changed dramatically. Since our flight was late we had limited time to reach our connecting gate so we planned to drop into the lounge for a quick juice and a few magazines for the next leg. When we arrived at the lounge I handed over the boarding passes to the woman at the counter and received a very rude response. She curtly told us that since we were traveling on Air Canada Rouge a "discount airline" we did not get access to the Maple Leaf lounge. With that she turned away and attempted to ignore us. My wife addressed her again and said that this could not be the case since we paid a business class rate for the entire trip. Again, this lady brushed us off stating that we had discount tickets. This was just the beginning of our terrible journey. Once on the plane it was obvious that this was an older jet with cramped seating, no televisions, no leg room, etc. I overheard another traveler comment on how this was similar to 1980's business class. In my opinion the 1980's was better than this. We were delayed on takeoff, the staff were disorganized, the food was mediocre and I-pads were handed out for a poor selection of old entertainment. On the return trip we were again refused access to the lounge in Dublin (at least the staff here were apologetic and friendly), the flight was late in taking off and of course the food and service was the same - dismal. Our flight was so behind we were worried about missing our connector in Toronto so we asked the crew if anything was being planned to help with this problem. The staff did not know a thing and were not making any efforts to reassure the many passengers that needed to make connecting flights. I am outraged that Air Canada charged us a business class fare for a discount flight. Is this their new business plan? To overcharge for terrible service? My recommendation: do not fly Air Canada Rouge for any reason. I do not care how they dress this up, it is a discount airline and a low end discount airline to boot. I have had good trips on Air Canada in the past but that is the key word here - "past". Being a Canadian citizen you want to support your own airline but with poor service such as this and the feeling as though you have been swindled, I believe it is time to use other airlines.

1 2 3