Air Canada passenger reviews, Air Canada customer reviews, Air Canada review, compare Air Canada reviews

Air Canada Customer Reviews and Air Canada Passenger Trip Reports

Air Canada Customer review :  14 May 2014 by David Butcher    (Canada)

Flew YVR-MUC on LH and LHR-YVR on AC in May 2014. Have flown BA long haul many times in last year, mainly on old 747s. For a while, AC had really improved their product, making it better than BA. Not any more. The new AC high density 777-300 on the YVR-LHR route is awful, In business, the Pods are gone. The seat pitch is much reduced. The seat is poorly constructed and difficult to change position. The table is bizarre - spring loaded and very difficult to put back. The lie flat is not comfortable and has no privacy. You have to climb over the aisle passenger to get out. This is a serious, serious downgrade, and I cant see how they can compete against CX on the HKG route or BA to LHR. In economy its 3-4-3 which looked awful. Premium economy is 2-4-2. the centre rows look very cramped. I should add that the lounge at LHR is the SAS lounge, which has very limited range of food/drinks. The staff, however were very professional. Overall, the experience was much poorer than LH's new business class on the A330. I wont use this plane again by choice. I'll be on BA or VS to LHR.

Air Canada Customer review :  12 May 2014 by E Gergolas    (Canada)

Quickly loosing respect for this airline who seem to find or create loopholes to punish passengers for any kind of loyalty. I have status (Star Alliance Gold) and have issues every time I fly - from check-in staff being rude and to lying about seat availability for windows / exit rows on flights that have empty seats in both categories when you actually squeeze into your assigned middle seat, and the limits for when food is free / paid for never seems to include delays on the tarmac - even when they are 5-6 hours long. They changed the rules last year to achieve status and after it was achieved... they changed the rules and benefits again so upgrades that were free in January cost $1,000 for Europe flights in February - it's like they have no respect for passengers.

Air Canada Customer review :  9 May 2014 by Helen Hirvasoja    (Canada)

April 29 2014, AC 8534, Thunder Bay to Toronto. AC 610, Toronto to Halifax, May 2 2014. AC 619, Halifax to Toronto. AC 8545, Toronto to Thunder. I just had the most miserable trip to Halifax from Thunder Bay with Air Canada. I flew from Thunder Bay to Toronto in the most uncomfortable seats imaginable in the back row while the plane was full with Air Canada staff flying in their aisle seats. In Toronto, apparently paying for your seat is not enough. I did not have a pre-booked seat so that meant I was a second class citizen due no courtesy or respect from the Air Canada ticket attendant who didn't even want to speak to me until everyone else was on the plane. While I flew in a seat marked "Crew" in the back of the plane, in the middle seat, again the flight was full of Air Canada staff. I have flown my last flight with them.

Air Canada Customer review :  8 May 2014 by P McDonnell    (USA)

ZRH-YYZ on an A330. Pros: Seat was very comfortable in terms of cushion, width and leg room (though I understand the seats tend to be a bit larger on the A330 than other AC aircraft). Flight was on time, aircraft was clean, FAs were friendly enough. Cons: Food was downright awful - main meal was very dry pasta with red sauce, snack before landing was a completely flavorless chicken wrap. IFE had decent selection, but played a 2-minute run of advertisements before playing each selection. Comes across as very tacky. Overall a fairly average long-haul economy flight.

Air Canada Customer review :  8 May 2014 by A Amaladoss    (UK)

YYZ-LHR was rebooked by BA on to this flight, as their flight was cancelled due to a bird strike. Check-in very straightforward. Used the Maple Leaf lounge in Terminal 1, close to the E gates. Spacious comfortable lounge, but no hot options for breakfast apart from a very sticky oatmeal porridge. Flight was on a B767, with a herring bone 1-1-1 configuration. It felt both spacious and private. The crew were engaging and very friendly, and nothing was too much trouble. The breakfast omelette was rather nice. IFE of a good quality, but using the headphones was fiddly because you had to put on the sponge ear covers yourself! Seats are lie flat, and quite comfortable-managed a nap of a couple of hours. The serving of lunch was delayed by some turbulence over the Atlantic. The Captain was very reassuring, especially as he asked the FAs to be seated as well for about 30 mins. Good choice of champagne, and 2 whites and 3 reds. There was a choice of 3 mains-all looked tasty. Arrival was shambolic because of the immigration computer glitch-baggage was waiting when I got to the carousel. Generally very impressed with my first experience of AC Executive Class.

Air Canada Customer review :  7 May 2014 by J Lynch    (Canada)

We took two fights, one from Calgary to Frankfurt and one from Heathrow back to Calgary. Both flights were fantastic. Staff at check-in and onboard were friendly and courteous. We had many choices for meals, black cod and a fatty cut of lamb were not prepared to our taste. The beef and the pasta were much tastier dishes. Thankfully fresh salad/balsamic dressing has been part of the business meal for a few years. Tasty desserts/cheese plates ensure that no one will starve. The pods are a comfortable way to travel and we always manage to have 4-5 hours of sleep. There's ample storage for shoes, iPads, etc, plus a big bin overhead. There was a large selection of old and new movies to watch. The kit with travel amenities is fantastic on the way to Europe, but of poor quality on the way back.

Air Canada Customer review :  6 May 2014 by J De Boer    (Australia)

Flew SYD-YVR, business class on 777-200. The seat configuration is not great for couples, my husband and I sat in the middle two seats and were divided by a partition and the angle of the seats meant that to speak to each other we both had to turn sideways and backwards. I could eyeball the person across the aisle more easily but the distance was such you couldn't have a quiet conversation thus still not satisfactory when traveling with someone. Not a lot of room to place personal items in easy reach during the flight. Service was excellent, there was plenty of courteous and helpful staff. Food was nice, 4 choices of main course, I enjoyed my fish, also the entree prawn salad. I have to agree with previous reviewer, the head phones disposable foam ear pieces were very tricky to stretch over the phones, easily torn and easily lost when taking the head phones off. Flat bed was good but I didn't sleep well, sinuses didn't cope well with the aircon. Would use Air Canada again.

Air Canada Customer review :  4 May 2014 by Gordon Nettleton    (Canada)

This concerns Air Canada's Business Class Service on its international flights. Air Canada has introduced its new seat configurations on its 777 aircrafts. It is a marked change from the "pods" that it uses on its 767s. Regrettably, the new configurations are horrible. My complaints are not so much about having to sit side by side someone in the rows, but rather its the amenities and the way in which the seats work altogether. The flat bed seats are most uncomfortable. The seats do not accommodate one from moving their feet because once the bed is flat, your feet go into an area that does not allow for any movement. You must physically remove one foot at a time to adjust your resting position. Headphones in business class are awful. They provide ear bud style head sets, but they are cheap and sound quality is awful. You can request an over the ear headphone which they have on board but do not offer unless asked. Sound quality is better but when they deliver the units to you, there are sponge coverings that must be affixed over each ear speaker. This task is incredibly difficult! The sponge coverings do not fit well over the oval speakers and the sponge has a tendency to rip! The controls for the seats are located in two locations - one on the table that is used to rest your arms. This of course means unintentional adjustments are made to your seat settings when your arms rest on the controls. The second set of controls are not easy to find at first and are only usable when the seat is in a flat bed mode. I also had difficulty having the bed go into a flat bed mode. The seats seam to get jammed on settings that would not allow the bed to fully extend and it took some time and multiple pressing of buttons to convince the seat to fully extend. Last beef concerns the tray table. Whoever designed this table should be shot! At first the table seems reasonable: press a release button and pop goes the table. Fold it out and you are in business. Now the tricky part - putting the table away. Folding is ok, but then you have to align three very faintly marked arrows and then figure out a way to force the table back into its locked position. I couldn't do it and required assistance each and every time. It was interesting to hear from the flight crew that there have been many, many complaints about these new seats. Air Canada however is not taking any steps to address these concerns, which is too bad. The crew mentioned that the seating was an after thought and that they were not asked for any advice or input on the selection of the consoles. Too bad. I will be going out of my way not to use Air Canada because of this uncomfortable experience. Other airlines like Cathay and Singapore have far better seats and amenities. Use them.

Air Canada Customer review :  2 May 2014 by P Butler    (Canada)

AC138, Vancouver-Ottawa. Usual AC crush on boarding with lots of people with too much carry-on, no enforcement of carry on policy and insufficient space in aircraft cabin design for carry-on, seems to be a universal feature of AC that you have to fight for bin space. Cabin crew managed to pack everyone's stuff in. 6 row seating and only 2 washrooms for about 160 people no doubt maximizes AC revenue when combined with overbooking - but no room to move in the cabin, two people can't pass in the aisles without standing on the aisle seat passenger. Seats cramped. Flight safety briefings are now followed by full volume ads for BMW and credit card products. Inflight service then began by cabin staff selling earphones. Chose not to purchase, later realized this a wise choice in view of limited inflight entertainment options. Food service - if you're asleep when they come round, don't worry - if the cart doesn't wake you by banging your elbow as it comes by, you will be shouted at until you do wake up and a menu card is wafted under your nose. AC wouldn't want to miss a sale just because you're sleeping! Being now awake, looked at menu which offers "selection of wines" - turns out this means red or white, one brand each. Ordered pieces of stiff cardboard and plastic, paid full bar prices. In future, AC would have to be the only carrier on a route before I'd fly them again and I would never recommend them. I remember when AC was a lot better than this.

Air Canada Customer review :  2 May 2014 by Avelino Agustin    (Canada)

I arrived at LGA 3 hours before my flight and from check in to boarding-all went smoothly. My original flight was AC729 at 1530 H, I didn't want to lounge in the airport on a rainy day so the PSA allowed me to take earlier flight (AC7423) to avoid long wait in the airport. The ground crew and the entire flight crew were very nice.

Air Canada Customer review :  28 April 2014 by Aske Stentoft    (Denmark)

Miami - Toronto - Copenhagen, 24th April 2014. AC917 - A321, AC882 - B763-300. My family and I went to Florida on vacation. We flew out with Lufthansa - excellent service. On the way back we flew with Air Canada. I had pre- selected seats close to the wing (row 27), the B763 has 2-3-2 seating setup so selecting 2x2 was perfect for us. When we checked in at Miami airport we were told our seating had changed for the flight between Toronto and Copenhagen. Our seating was now: me, my wife and my son (age 10) moved to the middle section in row 35 and my daughter (age 5) placed on row 14. I tried to talk to 3 different staff members in Miami airport, none was interested in helping us. One suggested we could find a passenger ourselves to swap with. When we were boarding they realized it probably wasn't a good idea to place a 5 year old alone and swapped the seating. I am shocked about the lack of service. What shocked me the most is that I tried to talk to 7 different Air Canada staff members. On top of that (which just is minor compared to all the other): Their "continental breakfast" was a dry banana cake. Their entertainment system was so good that I could hear both my own movie and the movie of the passenger next to me. Both planes were dirty.

Air Canada Customer review :  28 April 2014 by Tyler Thomson    (Canada)

Flight 165 from Montreal to Calgary. The crew were impeccably dressed, which can make or break a first impression. I was seated in the economy cabin directly behind business class, and was expecting a standard North American carrier style of service, but instead received more. The business class flight attendant was sure to make sure my drinks were always topped up and even went as far as to refer to me by name, a very pleasant surprise in economy. The flight crew were friendly and present throughout the entire flight. Multiple water runs occurred. Legroom was generous in the bulkhead row, and the cabin was clean and fresh. The inflight entertainment system was also up to date with multiple options for programming. I will certainly fly Air Canada again.

Air Canada Customer review :  28 April 2014 by Hammond Josephine    (Canada)

AC855 on 4th November 2013 from YVR to Heathrow, London. I returned on AC854 27th November 2013. Breakfast, as the last meal on the plane, was a real come-down. It should leave passengers with a satisfied feeling, glad they chose Air Canada for their journey. Instead, a piece of cellophane-covered yellow cloggy sponge slice that tasted of nothing, paired with a small sweetened yoghourt. It was such a sad and disappointing closure to my trip. Regarding the holding pattern over Heathrow, it was amazingly beautiful, but that only made the unpleasant breakfast experience worse! My seat would not move one millimetre, but was pronounced broken as soon as I explained the problem. The flight attendants were excellent.

Air Canada Customer review :  24 April 2014 by E Bierduempel    (Germany)

BGI-YTO-FRA. Found out upon check-in that plane would be delayed by 2-3 hours, thus missing my connection. Was told that I would have to stay overnight in Toronto and was already rebooked for a connecting flight next day. My email address and mobile phone number were given in the booking, but nobody from AC contacted me beforehand. Upon boarding I saw a second AC plane on the tarmac. Pilot explained that the plane was grounded due to technical problems 2 days ago and ever since they were struggling to find replacement planes. Also the incoming plane was delayed due to technical problems. But no information prior to check-in resulted in no chance to rebook, thus missing an important meeting and wasting 19 hours at YTO. Flight itself ok (nothing special and nothing wrong), but the frame conditions were very unsatisfactory.

Air Canada Customer review :  23 April 2014 by D Tomlinson    (Canada)

Return flights on new Air Canada B777 High Density YVR-HKG and YVR-LHR in last month. With the new high density configuration Air Canada has lowered themselves to a truly awful class of business travel. Seats are uncomfortable and cramped, controls to recline are finicky and require a lot of to and fro'ing to get seat into lay down position. There is no storage space around your seat for storage of pillow, blanket or your shoes. Staff are clearly not happy with new service nor are other frequent passengers. If traveling alone, do not take an aisle seat on either side of the cabin - the window seat occupant cannot leave their seat without having you get out of your seat. Cathay and BA much better choices as they are either less costly (or the same price) and you get a personal pod. Will not fly AC again, there are much better options on this route.

Air Canada Customer review :  23 April 2014 by S Moore    (USA)

My wife and I booked a trip to the Caribbean in May 2013, to travel in early April 2014. We used a popular online service for our flight reservations. On our return trip back home to Michigan, we had to go round about through Toronto switching airlines to Air Canada for our half hour last leg home. We arrived at Toronto to find that We had less than an hour to connect flights, and our baggage wouldn't be checked through to our final destination, so after waiting 25 minutes for our luggage and a long trek through a huge unfamiliar airport we missed our flight. But instead of putting us on the next available flight the attendant at check-in directed us to call ticket information. After about 20 minutes of being on hold, we ended up at an information desk and they sent us back to the check-in counter where we encountered a gentleman who proceeded to blame us for the mix up, arguing and threatening to charge us $250US to rebook. This went on for some time, then after we had given up and were going to pay (again) for the flight, he abruptly stopped, rebooked the flight, told us he was doing us a favor, and we were on our way. What an ordeal after about a day and a half of traveling, it was a nightmare.

Air Canada Customer review :  20 April 2014 by S Ray    (USA)

We flew LGA-YUL and back on AC. My finance and I flew out separately and returned together. Staff were polite enough in LGA, but displayed a consistently lackadaisical attitude. They didn't start boarding the flights until 10 minutes or less before scheduled departure (even though the plane had been at the gate for at least 30 minutes prior), so predictably, both flights pulled back from the gate late. My flight then took a 30 minute tour around the taxiways, which granted AC has no control over, but they provided no updates or anything until we finally started our take off. On the return trip, we first ran in to possibly the rudest person working a service job I've ever encountered at YUL. The second AC employee we dealt with was quite nice and apologized for her co-worker. Again, at the gate, the staff was lackadaisical, fumbling around and not boarding the flight until 10 minutes before departure (even though the boarding pass said boarding would start 55 minutes prior to departure and the plane was at the gate for a good 20 minutes at least before boarding started). Luckily it only lead to 5-10 minutes delay on the YUL-LGA trip. On all 3 flights, there were no announcements about how or where to pick up baggage when we landed. Overall, I feel like we were lucky that our AC experience was only somewhat bad. The general attitude and competency of the AC staff gave me absolutely no confidence that they would have been able to handle any real problems. I'm going back to Montreal again next year, and will do my best to avoid AC for that trip and any others I take in the future.

Air Canada Customer review :  20 April 2014 by Tal Atkinson    (Canada)

April 3, flight # 1820., return April 17 flight # 1821. Rouge not good. Please do better, leaving a seat in the middle open on each row is a bad fix. April 17 flight from Cancun, great staff. Much improved. Seat depth and width are the issue. Proud of Air Canada and the Maple Leaf Logo.

Air Canada Customer review :  14 April 2014 by R Smithsonite    (Canada)

Winnipeg to Toronto - this flight was the same as for all prior trips on AC. Staff were at best lifeless and indifferent. Some were outright haughty. At the end of the trip, one is left with the impression that AC staff are taking their frustrations out on the passengers. I don't have the same experience when I fly the competition (Westjet). AC management might try some positive motivation with their staff before they chase away more customers.

Air Canada Customer review :  14 April 2014 by B Weiner    (Canada)

YYZ to SYD via YVR in business class aboard 777-200 LR. Toronto to Vancouver leg was standard domestic business class experience. Ok food, good entertainment, nice service. Vancouver to Sydney was excellent. Nothing to complain about at all. Service was superb. Great meal service and a well stocked galley for between meal snacks. Tried the dim sum, chicken breast skewers, and fruit - all good. The pod seating is very comfortable. What really impressed, was that the washrooms were so clean throughout the entire 15 hour flight. I used them frequently and they were always spotless. Air Canada really stepped it up on their international business class. To give you a comparison, I've flown Singapore Airlines a few times and on this long haul flight Air Canada was even better (in both directions). I hope economy class had a good experience as well.