AirAsia Passenger Reviews and AirAsia Customer Trip Reports

WATCH the Videos to Experience Airline Product and Service

AIRASIA Customer review :  15 April 2014 by M Denton    (Australia)

The worst airline in the world in terms of customer service. I booked a series of flights 8 months in advance. Air Asia moved one of the flights causing a connection to be not possible. Air Asia then refused to allow me to move the flights to fix the connection conflict they caused and refused to give me a refund. I wonder what happens if I take the flights and get stranded when one flight lands after the connection has already taken off?

AIRASIA Customer review :  14 April 2014 by S Grigoriev    (Australia)

KUL-SIN-KUL. Return flight to Singapore for a day trip. $40 return, so cant complain about the price. No issues with check in on both legs. Fairly new A320s, which for some reason had very old worn seats (maybe moved from their older retired aircraft). That is probably the only minor complaint. Cabin crew friendly and efficient, managed to serve meals and drinks and clean up on a very short 45 min flight. Both flights landed on time. Over all a good experience, would fly with them again.

AIRASIA Customer review :  9 April 2014 by Marc Stoiber    (Canada)

Flew Phuket to Chiang Mai, and got dinged nearly $60 CAD ($55 US) for a 20 kg bag. When I picked myself up off the floor, I asked the desk person if I could avoid this sticker shock on my return flight. Told to go to the website, check in online, and 'pre-register' my bag online. The savings would be 'significant'. So today, I did just that. Only problem - when it came to registering the bag, the website froze me out - even after multiple attempts. Simply couldn't register the bag, let alone pay a lower fee for it. When we got to the airport, I explained the situation. We had checked in online, so it was clear I wasn't pulling anyone's leg about trying to get things done on the website. But the check in person gave me the cow in a pasture stare, and charged me full freight for the bag again. I explained again it wasn't my fault - I'd tried to do what her colleague had recommended - but their website wasn't working. I then told my story to the person who took my money. Same look. So watch out! Bag charges are exorbitant, and going online to lessen the charge brings no joy.

AIRASIA Customer review :  7 April 2014 by S Fahmi Chan    (Malaysia)

KL to Kota Kinabalu. I was hoping for a more Malaysian style welcome, however I was not even shown to my seats. The cabin crew were fixing their hair and make up and chatting. I was not offended but in my 18 years of flying I have never seen such sight.

AIRASIA Customer review :  4 April 2014 by G Bemrose    (Australia)

DPS-PER. A320. Booked hot seats, row 14 exit row but would have preferred row 1 - not available. Also booked Red Carpet departure from Bali. I can't recommend this enough. A great treat to be personally escorted from check in, security, customs. Then lounge access. Although the shared lounge was very ordinary. No fault of AirAsia. When flight was called, we were again escorted through departure gate into private mini-bus to the plane. The rest of the queuing passengers seemed aghast to our VIP treatment but well worth ever cent. In fact the cost is minimal. On board meals were OK but limited breakfast are ordered Hotcakes. Flight attendants smiling and answering bells quickly but difficult to understand announcements as others have mentioned. Plane about 50% full. Many seats at rear from row 15 with people stretching out across. No cockpit announcements at all and late arrival by 20 minutes into Perth. Priority luggage off easily.

AIRASIA Customer review :  31 March 2014 by G Bemrose    (Australia)

Perth to Bali. A320. Booked hot seats row 1. Meal included but we weren't priority boarded as the website indicated. Crew friendly and helpful. Flight slight turbulence but arrived on time. New plane. Only hiccup was online check in with no luggage says we can go straight to departure gate but lucky we checked as you still need to go to web check in desk to reprint boarding pass. Plus many passengers in the wrong line up. One row for online web check and one not. Ground staff didn't appear interested that all passengers queuing all in one line. Signage was poorly indicating.

AIRASIA Customer review :  26 March 2014 by Sandesh Kshatriya    (Thailand)

Air Asia Indonesia. QZ8322, 21 Mar 2014, DMK-CGK (A320). Website check-in is convenient, check-in agents are good and smiling and oblige if you want to change to an Aisle seat. Boarding in DMK is Manual, and the staff check, recheck and re- recheck if you have boarded or not. Crew welcoming and point to your seat. Announcements so fast, no one can understand them. Safety demonstrations are very good and clear to the point. Food looks like it has been recycled on 2 or more flights, I had pre-booked meal (Pak Nassers Nasi Lemak) as I'm allergic to fish, however the meal included Anchovies. Again on landing the announcements were so fast that we all just looked at each other in a daze. Overall I will fly them again, but will bring my own food and water.

AIRASIA Customer review :  26 March 2014 by Sandesh Kshatriya    (Thailand)

Air Asia Indonesia. QZ8320, 23 Mar 2014, CGK-DMK (A320). Website check-in is convenient, CGK check-in agents are good and smiling and oblige if you want to change to an Aisle seat. Boarding in CGK is utter chaos and staff are in Go away Go away mode. Again, Crew welcoming and point to your seat (the Weekend uniform is extremely untidy it kills the image). Announcements again so fast. Safety demonstrations are very good and clear to the point. Food again looks like it has been recycled 2 or more flights, I had pre-booked meal (Satay with Asian Fried rice). Again no information that it contained Shrimp paste (I'm allergic to Seafood). On landing the announcements were so fast. Overall I will fly them again, but as I said in my previous comment will bring my own food and water.

AIRASIA Customer review :  24 March 2014 by D Moffitt    (Australia)

Departed Perth to Denpasar, return with the family. No delays on either flight. Service was standard budget airline, though much better than Ryan or Easyjet. My only complaint is regarding the unbelievably bad quality of the inflight hot meals. I pre ordered them to simply break the boredom for the kids and wish I hadn't bothered. Disgusting and simply inedible.

AIRASIA Customer review :  18 March 2014 by StephenBritton    (Canada)

Air Asia, D7316 from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing, March 12-13. We have flown on airlines throughout the world and have never been on a worse airline in 50 years of flying. Kuala Lumpur airport is awful. When you ask if there are meals provided they say "yes", but don't tell you that you are required to pay extra. If you have cashed in your money because you are flying into another country, you are out of luck. We were 6 hours without a coffee, water, or tea. When we asked for a complimentary coffee, the flight attendant said, "No, we are a low cost airline". They nickel and dime you all the way. When you check in they ask if you would like to check your bag. Then hit you with a $30 charge! However, they let all kinds of over-sized bags on the plane, so getting to your seat is total chaos. Loading the plane is a joke. It is basically a stampede to the plane out on the tarmac, it is a total free for all on the tarmac.

AIRASIA Customer review :  17 March 2014 by Vithiea Peang    (UK)

DMK-PHN-DMK - Not much to write about frankly as this is a low-fair airline. Having their base in DMK airport is a strategic move away from the chaotic Suvarnbhumi. Make sure you booked earlier as the ticket will be almost as expensive as the regular cost airline given booking only a couple weeks ahead. Check-in both DMK and PHN is no problem. Though I seem to have problem with mobile online check-in from my last trip.

AIRASIA Customer review :  6 March 2014 by H Blumenthal    (France)

Hot Seats

Pleasant surprise! Even if check-in was somewhat chaotic (in Krabi), the flight experience was nice. Clean plane, comfortable seats and nice crew. Will fly them again and the prices are great.

AIRASIA Customer review :  28 February 2014 by Martinez Gregory    (UK)

REP-KUL. I must say that fares aren't that much cheaper than full service airlines, if you only book a few weeks in advance. There are a lot of additional fees, some of which are not avoidable. If you have to change your flight, you will get clobbered. Check-in was another problem. Their website says that international check-in opens 3 hours before the flight - not true. The check-in did not open until 2 hours before. Once it did, the queue did move at a painfully slow pace. The agent seem to have problems with every person checking in and had to call the supervisor over more than once for every passenger. I'd checked in online but not printed my boarding pass (as I had a mobile one sent to my mobile). This caused a lot of problems and needed the supervisor. Once through security, everything was a breeze. Organised boarding, great cabin crew, clean plane, comfortable seats and good food. I'd check to see how much you're actually saving before using Air Asia. If its enough, then book it.

AIRASIA Customer review :  21 February 2014 by Kenneth Jiang    (China)

Kuala Lumpur to Phuket. Really good value for money. Plane is new. Very punctual. Cabin crew are well trained and nicely dressed. Seat is fine. Food is inexpensive but good quality, and you can choose from a quite diversified menu. Boarding and disembarkation was organized very efficiently. Only inconvenience is you had to walk at KUL budget terminal for 10min from gate to plane through a shielded corridor.

AIRASIA Customer review :  19 February 2014 by W Tangjitjaroen    (Thailand)

Have flown with AA a few times, this time RT from CNX to PEN. On the way from CNX to PEN I had to pay for the first checked baggage twice just because I had a transit in Kuala Lumpur. You will never know where they are going to put you in the airplane unless you pay to choose seat.

AIRASIA Customer review :  17 February 2014 by P Finkbiner    (USA)

We flew Air Asia twice during our trip to SE Asia. I found the process of check-in well organized and tolerable. A low cost airline is going to have large crowds to manage and they did a good job. The seats are tight, but no worse than more expensive airlines. Ads are tedious, but I am sure these keep the cost down. All in all a satisfactory experience. They got us where we wanted to go efficiently and on schedule. Isn't that what a "Now everybody can fly" airline supposed to do?

AIRASIA Customer review :  11 February 2014 by Sia Lian Huat    (Singapore)

While at Singapore Changi Airport, it took me more than 2.5 hrs to queue just to check in. The AirAsia counters were grossly under staffed with 2 to 3 staff members frantically trying to process up to 4 or 5 flights of passengers. There was not enough staff to manage the queue, many passengers were fed up and started queue jumping. Many passengers were late to board the plane, not to mention time to shop the DFS stores. My flight to Bali took off an hour late. Worst experience I had with a budget airline.

AIRASIA Customer review :  10 February 2014 by M Lokan    (Australia)

Hot Seats

Kuala Lumpur to Manila. Pre flight customer service was a nightmare. My flight was delayed before my trip, I was sent an SMS to be advised of this. I was offered an earlier flight, that wasn't going to work because I was travelling from Adelaide at that time. There were no changes made and they acknowledged there was no change. When I arrived in KL to check in, they inform me my flight was changed to the earlier flight. There was a lot of hassle and waiting but I was provided with my boarding pass. Flight was good, aircraft could do with some updating, but the flight was half empty which meant flat bed. Check in gave me a hot seat without paying for it. As soon as seat belt sign was off I went to sleep, staff left me alone and it was all good. Cant comment on food or how the service was, but as far as I am concerned in the air I got what I wanted. The selection of food is quite bland, I would prefer to just take my food on board. For the price it was not bad. When it comes to Staff service I have based it on the pre customer service as that's where I experienced most of the customer service.

AIRASIA Customer review :  29 January 2014 by Brian Robinson    (USA)

Three short flights on Air Asia, DMK-RGN, RGN-DMK, DMK-SGN. All flights via newish A320s. A little chaotic at check in for DMK flights but otherwise the boarding process was easy. Be aware though that they strictly enforce their carry on baggage regulations and I suggest you pay for a checked bag when you buy your ticket and carefully weigh it before check in. Plane interiors clean, comfort OK for short flight and service friendly but I hate the banner ads on the luggage bins. Checked bags were delivered promptly on arrival.

AIRASIA Customer review :  15 January 2014 by Sudiman Erwan    (Singapore)

Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia to Jakarta, Indonesia. Value for money. No inflight entertainment. Food needs to be paid for with cash onboard. Terrible option for food. Seat is disaster. Nice airline to take for short distances due to economy value. Future travel will avoid this airline. Prefer Malaysia Airline.

AIRASIA Customer review :  14 January 2014 by K David    (Malaysia)

Delayed more than 3 hours on flight to Bali from Kuala Lumpur on 9 Jan 2014. Although the ground staff knew about the delay in advance, they failed to inform the passengers early - not only were we not informed at check in counter but only 1 hour prior scheduled take off time when we were at the gate. The airline changed the flight number causing great confusion and inconvenience for all passengers. No embarkation cards were also given out on board which is a normal procedure with all airlines. Air Asia maybe a budget airline but this does not give it a right to do what they want and as they please. Terrible experience.

AIRASIA Customer review :  9 January 2014 by G Beckenkamp    (Germany)

KUL-PDG and KNO-KUL. Always a demonstration for a quality product on the ground and in the sky. Good information from booking until departure, well trained and nice-to-look-at cabin crews, good flight-deck-info, good food and on-time. This airlines grows and grows and seems to have no visible problems with staff quantity/training, logistics etc.

AIRASIA Customer review :  8 January 2014 by Barrie Bell    (Indonesia)

AirAsia failed to get me CGK-JKT on Christmas Eve. All they offered was flight to Sydney and Melbourne - and make your own way there. Couldn't offer me a direct flight for 48 hours from KUL although MAS had spare seats.

AIRASIA Customer review :  7 January 2014 by Shoumik Datta    (Singapore)

We travelled from Singapore to Krabi by Airasia Thailand on 29th December 2013. I have to say that I am not pleased with the punctuality of the airline. We were delayed as the flight arrived 20 minutes late from Krabi. Delayed again on the way back to Singapore. However the flight was smooth and seats were comfortable for a low cost carrier. A strange incident happened as we were approaching the terminal in Singapore. We were all ready to leave the aircraft when the pilot announced that we would push back to another gate. The process itself took another 30 minutes. So overall, we were delayed by over an hour. But still, the flight was very smooth and good.

AIRASIA Customer review :  6 January 2014 by Michael Hollifield    (South Korea)

Air Asia Indonesia. KUL-CGK on 12/26 and CGK-SIN on 12/30. Both flights experienced delays. The first was due to arriving aircraft (two hours) and the second was due to ATC in SIN (boarded on time, but one hour delay on the plane). The seats were comfortable for the short flights. The legroom was also adequate. I'm 5'11" (180 cm) and I had a small amount of space in between my knees and the seat in front of me. That being said, for a long flight, three hours plus, it would get a bit tiring. I pre-ordered a meal which tasted fine. Unfortunately, it was on a flight that was delayed for two hours and departed after Midnight and I had already eaten the same meal unknowingly twice before. Definitely wasn't in the mood. The price is cheap, sure, but expect a two hour delay every time which means lots of waiting. For our flight KUL-CGK, there was no announcement of any delay until after the scheduled departure time (but they kept making announcements for other delays). Bring your patience for sure.

AIRASIA Customer review :  3 January 2014 by R Coumans    (Netherlands)

July 16th, Bangkok Don Muang to Phuket.Last year we arrived 20 minutes before departure at Don Muang airport in Bangkok (very difficult to reach during rush hour). There where several queues and we asked some Air Asia ground personnel if they could help. They helped us and about one minute before departure we entered the plain. Arriving in Phuket our luggage was also in good condition and well kept by the aircraft personnel. I think that Air Asia is worth the money.

AIRASIA Customer review :  2 January 2014 by William Lay    (Indonesia)

Airasia Indonesia. SUB-CGK. Overall the trip was good. The cabin crews were polite. But the staff service wasn't very good, when I entered the boarding gate, the staff hasn't placed the airport tax thing behind the boarding pass although we had paid to her. Because of that we should wait for minutes before boarding the aircraft.

AIRASIA Customer review :  23 December 2013 by Roshan Gunathilake    (Australia)

I flew to Singapore from Sydney with Air Asia last week. I regret flying with AA. Pre-ordered meals were of very poor quality. There was a only very limited selection of food available for purchase - only peanuts, chocolates, and fizzy drinks. The flight was freezing cold and I had to pay money to rent a basic blanket. No credit cards are accepted on board. If you pay in dollars balance is paid in MYR- another rip off! There were 2 small children about 10 and 12 years travelling with their parents, who changed their seats and moved near to a window just before we landed in KL to get a aerial view of KL. Many hot seats were unoccupied and were vacant throughout the flight and there was at most 20 min flight time left. The children were asked to return to their original seats by the flight attendant, as they were not entitled to sit in "hot" seats. I thought the way they said was quite rude. The flight attendants speak little English. They are careless. I think what they sell as business class is probably as comfortable as Qantas Economy.