PAGE loading ... please wait!

Afriqiyah Airways Passenger Reviews and Afriqiyah Airways Customer Trip Reports

1 2

Afriqiyah Airways customer travel guide

Afriqiyah Airways Passenger Trip Reports

Afriqiyah Airways Star Ranking

Afriqiyah Airways Aircraft Seat Plans

Afriqiyah Airways Economy class seat reviews

AFRIQIYAH AIRWAYS customer review :  20 January 2010 by A Regan (UK)

In June 2009 I booked a trip from London to Cape Town (via Tripoli) with Afriqiyah Airways leaving on Christmas day for about 400 - a pretty good deal. However, in September they decided to stop in Johannesburg instead, and booked us a transfer from Johannesburg to Capetown. Alas, on our way out, after an unscheduled stop in Paris to pick up "a few passengers" and a 4-5 hour unexplained delay in Tripoli, we missed the connecting flight and had to pay 200 each for new tickets - despite reassurances from Afriqiyah Airways in Tripoli that they had transferred us onto later flights. In the end we were travelling for over 24 hours. On the way back the travel documents we used to travel out were not accepted in Johannesburg airport and we had to call the UK from a mobile to get further details. Once again we got stuck in Tripoli airport for over ten hours due to snow at Gatwick. Tripoli airport is awful - it is one giant ashtray with disgusting toilets. Despite the lovely planes this was the worst airline experience I have had.

AFRIQIYAH AIRWAYS customer review :  14 January 2010 by Stephanie McVicker (UK)

I flew to Johannesburg via Brussels and Tripoli, return. Flight attendants great who provided a cheerful and competent service. One even went to the business class to get me a lovely cup of coffee when he realised coffee was crucial to my travelling pleasure! Yes there were delays in Tripoli - but immigration officials were welcoming and we were kept fully informed as to the reasons for hold up. Toilets in Tripoli are as bad as everyone else suggests - do avoid. Useful to know that they accept Euros in their Duty Free and cafe.

AFRIQIYAH AIRWAYS customer review :  19 October 2009 by Michael Redman (UK)

I have used Afriqiyah Airways for four return trips, Gatwick - Accra, over the last 14 months. Treatment has been unfailingly good. Yes, there have been delays, but informed of the reasons for the delays and on one occasion we were given drinks while we waited to go into the airport. The cabin crew are excellent, and value for money is good.

AFRIQIYAH AIRWAYS customer review :  8 October 2009 by Jordan Mandoza (UK)

London-Tripoli-Johannesburg. Tripoli airport toilets are so bad you really have to be desperate to use them. Airline good value for money. Cabin crew not very cheerful looked tired all times. The only reason I would fly with them again is value for money but more friendly and cheerful cabin crew needed. A330 plane has good leg room and clean but the A320 plane not much leg room and needs cleaning up.

AFRIQIYAH AIRWAYS customer review :  24 August 2009 by B Quigley (UK)

Tripoli - London Gatwick - Tripoli. New plan, good entertainment, attentive service. No problems apart from painfully slow Check-In at Gatwick, and no alcohol.

AFRIQIYAH AIRWAYS customer review : 17 July 2009 : by L Olonode

4 Star Rating

Dakar-Tripoli-Gatwick. Fantastic seats and legroom. Food was good, as was in-flight entertainment. Friendly, efficient cabin staff. Late departure but arrived on time. Price lower than alternative carriers.

AFRIQIYAH AIRWAYS customer review : 5 May 2009 : by B Ajinibi

3 Star Rating

Lagos to Tripoli was ok except the deplorable condition of the toilet, no inflight entertainment, cabin crews were boring beyond description, meal was ok. Landed at Tripoli airport on time and cheerful ground crew. I have never seen a worse and appalling toilets like what I saw at the Tripoli airport. Tripoli to Gatwick flight was ok, a better and newer aircraft, more responsive cabin crew, inflight entertainment though without headset, arrived Gatwick on time. Return flight was almost a replication of the inbound flights except that there was headset for inflight entertainment. Afriqiyah should replace aircraft flying Lagos leg, its below international standard, and they dare not fly such aircraft to Gatwick. Will fly them if they improve on the hygiene

AFRIQIYAH AIRWAYS customer review : 28 April 2009 : by Peter Higgins

3 Star Rating

Dubai - Tripoli - Dakar. All in all the flight experience was a pleasure, with very good food, good seat space and regular drinks - the spare seat next to me also helped. It was also good not to have the flight constantly interrupted by announcements of one kind or another in three different languages as seems to be the trend these days. Tripoli airport isn't a pleasure, but no worse than you would expect and every landing seemed calmer than I am used to on the bigger planes. Two big faults though: firstly we had to turn the plane around for a sick passenger, and no one made any announcement until about 5 seconds before landing, which made most of us think we had turned around for a plane fault. Secondly on the outward flight, my bags arrived two days late. Not a disaster for me, but certainly it could have been for some people. No apology, no attempt to trace me when the bag arrived (though they said they were just about to). Also, only 3 movies for 26 hours of flying. Very cheap and comfortable.

AFRIQIYAH AIRWAYS customer review : 2 February 2009 : by Rob Sidley

4 Star Rating

London - Tripoli - Accra. Have to say that in both directions a pleasant and trouble free flight. Onboard catering was fine and Coach class seating exceeded standard specs, both pitch and quality of seats. New aircraft but remember that this is a dry airline so no alcohol available. Overall, I would be happy to fly with them again.

AFRIQIYAH AIRWAYS customer review : 6 January 2009 : by Dan Harvey

3 Star Rating

The airline has improved since I first started travelling with them4 years ago. The airplanes are new, food is great, seats comfortable and staff are improving. However, the baggage service is a big disgrace. At the airport in Mali the service is useless, and at the office in Bamako, they cannot tell us anything. So until Afriqiyah can improve this, I will not be travelling Afriqiyah again.

AFRIQIYAH AIRWAYS customer review : 22 December 2008 : by A King

3 Star Rating

Gatwick to Accra. I was not disappointed with the quality of service - time, seat, cleanliness, entertainment and food. Each section of the trip proceeded smoothly and I felt comfortable. Whilst the airline was superb, I was disappointed with the toilet facilities at Tripoli. On both the outbound and the inbound flights, I have never seen an international airport with deplorable and unhygienic toilets like the ones I saw in Tripoli.

AFRIQIYAH AIRWAYS customer review : 11 November 2008 : by F Mahmood

3 Star Rating

Ouagadougou to Gatwick - the plane which was due to leave Ouaga at 1.00 am arrived at 4am & departed at 5am. I asked one of the ground staff before departure if I could possible catch the connecting flight at Tripoli which was due to leave at 8.30 am considering that it was a 4 hours flight to Tripoli and 2 hours time difference in advance. I was reassured more than once that I will catch the plane and even a message had been sent to wait for me there. I boarded the plane with a lot of apprehension and when we arrived at Tripoli I was not surprised to find that the plane had left without me 2 hrs earlier. I contacted Afriqiyah staff and they looked embarased and didn't know what to do with me - I had to stay in the airport lounge till the next day when one of the staff took somehow pity on me & upgraded my ticket to the first class. Food is not bad, inflight service good and 48 kg baggage allowance for somehow modest ticket price.

AFRIQIYAH AIRWAYS customer review : 7 November 2008 : by S Anutika

Customer Rating : 2/5

2 Star Rating

I travelled London Gatwick-Tripoli-Douala with Afriqiyah recently. Arriving 4 hours late, at 01.00 hours, I discovered that my luggage, and that of most of the other passengers, was not on the plane. I could get no information from staff at the airport, but was told that I would have to wait until Monday for the next scheduled flight, to see if it was forwarded. With my schedule completely ruined, and no change of clothing, I had to book a hotel, at my own expense, and wait till Monday. I spent most of Monday at the airport, trying to get information, without success. Finally, at 22.30, I was reunited with my luggage. Some passengers on that flight also, did not get their luggage. I will not be using this airline in future, even if it is still the cheapest deal.

AFRIQIYAH AIRWAYS customer review : 19 September 2008 : by Michael Redman

3 Star Rating

Gatwick-Accra-Gatwick and found the journey up to expectations. On time, both directions and the onboard staff very attentive without being fussy. The let-down was Tripoli airport on arrival from Gatwick: very scruffy and down-at-heel, and staff bullying passengers into line for us to obtain Boarding Cards for the Tripoli-Accra leg of the journey. Information was less than brilliant too. The return transfer was a better, but that's probably because I knew what to expect! Afriqiyah Airways are good value in my opinion.

AFRIQIYAH AIRWAYS customer review : 27 August 2008 : by T Cisse

4 Star Rating

London-Tripoli-Dakar, returning in June. Much better than charter flights from Paris or charters to Gambia. Very few people on all legs of the flight meant that everyone could stretch out over 3 seats, fast and efficient check-in, I was told I could have taken 40kg, but the ticket issued through last minute.com only said 23kg. Entertainment good, western and arabic films, interesting documentary, and tapes of Koran. Staff responsive but dont fuss, laid back, will give extra food, plenty of drinks. Food all Halal and more'real than that served on 'western flights' but the same on return. Delay at Gatwick but they held all connecting flights in Tripoli. Planes modern and clean. Staff helpful and responsive in Dakar in changing return flight for under 50. Good cheap way to get to West Africa. This is an airline that caters for ordinary people and adequately meets those needs.

AFRIQIYAH AIRWAYS customer review : 18 June 2008 : by J Essomba

Customer Rating : 2/5

2 Star Rating

Afriqiyah Airways customer service is non-existent. I travelled from London via Tripoli to Cameroon last December. I lost my luggage - I am still to be compensated and nobody seem to care. I will think twice before travelling again with this airline.

AFRIQIYAH AIRWAYS customer review : 31 May 2008 : by Nick Imboden

Customer Rating : 1/5

1 Star Rating

I work for the UN in Bangui, CAR, and I and many of our staff use Afriqiyah regularly. On December 17th 2007, the airline stranded me and 50 other passengers in Bangui airport for more than two days, with another planeload stranded in Ndjamena. Although the delay is possibly excusable - they had a technical fault with the aircraft - their treatment of passengers is not: customer service was entirely non-existent, or deliberately obstructive. No explanation or information of any kind was ever given, let alone accommodation, food or compensation, and they refused point blank to get in touch with head office or to divulge phone numbers so that passengers could. Everyone just waited at the airport for 51 hours, not knowing when to expect the plane. Needless to say, subsequent letters of complaint were ignored or brushed off, and they even refused to sign an attestation of delay for my travel insurance. In summary Afriqiyah is alright when all goes well, they've invested in some newish planes, food isn't bad, luggage is sometimes delayed but rarely lost, and although many of their Europe-Africa connections are delayed by 3-5 hours (I notice another reviewer complaining of a 'horrendous' 5 hour delay, which is actually a fairly common occurrence) it's all generally tolerable. However, if something goes even slightly wrong, they fail utterly to deliver even the barest minimum of customer service. If you are travelling on business I seriously recommend you choose the slightly more expensive European airlines, as the risks in choosing Afriqiyah outweigh the savings in cost.

AFRIQIYAH AIRWAYS customer review by E Smeeton

31 March 2008  Customer Trip Rating : 4 Star Rating

Have just flown to and from Tripoli. They were late leaving Gatwick on the outward journey due to missing passengers and luggage having to be removed but check-in etc was fine, although we only had hand luggage. We returned on a new A320 Airbus. We left Tripoli on time and touched down at Gatwick on the dot. The service was fine and the food was acceptable.

1 2

Afriqiyah Airways Reviews and Afriqiyah Airways Passenger Opinions about Afriqiyah Airways standards